spacer

how-to block ads

Search Topic:
uniqs
share rss forum feed

profets

join:2010-01-14

Switching from Cogeco to Start, other Cogeco services active

I'm planning on switching from Cogeco to Start. I have TV and Internet with Cogeco - called Cogeco and asked to cancel Internet, and they said "Ok, it'll be deactivated within the hour" - so I asked them not to yet. Since I have other active services, they said they don't prepare a 30 day in advance cut off date.

In this situation, what is the best way to proceed? Should I pick a date, like Feb 12 for example (>10 days away) and tell Start that's the day Cogeco Internet will get cancelled? Get the modem from Start, and on the 12th call Cogeco to cancel the internet since they can deactivate the modem with the hour and hopefully Start will be active?

Another Q, come spring time I'm planning on cancelling TV with Cogeco, if internet is active with TPIA (Start), would I have to worry about them disconnecting the line? Or maybe they use some sort of filter for blocking TV?

Thanks in advance!

JCohen
Premium
join:2010-10-19
Nepean, ON
kudos:12
Reviews:
·Start Communicat..
·TekSavvy Cable
·Rogers Hi-Speed
Since you have multiple services and you won't need to wait the 30 days, I believe that you can order Start now and once it's activated you can just call up Cogeco and ask them to cancel your internet. One of the Start reps will be able to confirm if this can be done.

rocca
Start.ca
Premium
join:2008-11-16
London, ON
kudos:23
Yes that's correct, if you pick a date with us 10 business days out then we can get the transfer done and once connected you can call Cogeco to cancel. Thanks and looking forward to having you with us.

profets

Thanks JCohen and Rocca. Sounds like an easy process then.

Really out of curiosity - I guess internet can be active from both Start and Cogeco until I call Cogeco to cancel theirs?

Looking forward to signing up, bringing a few friends as well!

JCohen
Premium
join:2010-10-19
Nepean, ON
kudos:12
Reviews:
·Start Communicat..
·TekSavvy Cable
·Rogers Hi-Speed
said by profets:

Really out of curiosity - I guess internet can be active from both Start and Cogeco until I call Cogeco to cancel theirs?

Yes, you can have and active service from both Cogeco and Start at the same time provided that you are getting a new modem for use with Start.

said by profets:

Looking forward to signing up, bringing a few friends as well!

Make use of the referral bonus, »start.ca/about/referrals

profets

Thanks!

Davesnothere
No-BHELL-ity DOES have its Advantages
Premium
join:2009-06-15
START Today!
kudos:7

2 edits
reply to profets
said by profets:

....Really out of curiosity - I guess internet can be active from both Start and Cogeco until I call Cogeco to cancel theirs ?....

Yes, they can, but not on the same modem. - JC is correct.

Furthermore, Cogeco may leave you with the modem that you have, to support your phone (or swap you to another modem for that), and deactivate your Internet when you say so.

Someone will have to end up adding a splitter to support both modems. - I'm not sure whether that will end up costing you anything, but if a tech visit is required, it might.

Best to double check that with START.

BTW, I had 2 modems active for a couple of days last April when I changed over.

The only diff in MY case was that I DID have to coordinate notice, as I had no other Cogeco services.

It did not cost me an install fee as no tech had to visit, and we used the same wire which I already had, and no splitter.

If you want to play/compare with both services active, then when you connect one or the other modem, you may need to power it down and up, wait a couple of moments, and then do the same for your router, to get things to register at the other end.

--

We have only 2 things about which to worry :
(1) That things may never get back to normal
(2) That they already HAVE !
-
START Forum »Start Communications
Or you can still use Canadian Broadband.

profets

Thanks for the info. I'm quite tech savvy and did all the wiring (RG6, cat6, etc) in my place.

I'm definitely not looking to compare, going to cancel Cogeco, just was hoping to not have any downtime which sounds like it won't be an issue. I'm going to purchase the modem from Start and send back the Cogeco one (been a long time voip user).

Looking forward to it!

Davesnothere
No-BHELL-ity DOES have its Advantages
Premium
join:2009-06-15
START Today!
kudos:7
said by profets:

Thanks for the info....

K00L !

If you only have 2 Cogeco services (TV & Internet), rather than also having their phone, then that simplifies things hardware-wise, as you said, to be similar to MY scenario, except no long notice required.

The only thing you'll lose would be a bundle discount from Cogeco, but you'll still be ahead with START - in so many ways !