kudos:12
Reviews:
·TekSavvy DSL
·FreePhoneLine
·Rogers Hi-Speed
reply to BronsCon

Re: [Cable] Neighbour denied access to demarcation point

said by BronsCon:

My guess is when they come back next week, she'll have disconnected her DIY cable hookup and be much more willing to let them on the property. After they leave, she'll be right back out there hooking herself back up.

+1 lol... Now that's the most logical answer i've seen yet. Would explain the odd behavior, i'd probably act the same way

Neo

join:2012-03-16
reply to BronsCon

said by BronsCon:

My guess is when they come back next week, she'll have disconnected her DIY cable hookup and be much more willing to let them on the property. After they leave, she'll be right back out there hooking herself back up.

Can you really do that and get cable for free? I always wondered if such a thing was possible if you had access to the "distribution box".

xbell

@cgocable.net
reply to MrMazda86

There is no specific criminal code provision to force land owners to provide access to telecommunications in Canada unless the land owner is specifically preventing access through only one path of ingression. Good luck getting a cop to come out. This is usually rectified as a litigation, or threat thereof, of a tortuous act by way of mandatory injunction to remove the obstacle or monetary damages to move the terminal. I've been through trying to gain access thousands of times to terminals in Canada. In one case, when I was a Bell Canada tech (NOT BTS) we had to get Bell's legal dept. to send a letter to a homeowner who had blocked access and even though there an easement that we could travel on with the police present to prevent a breach of the peace we still needed further accommodation on a structural issue.

funny

join:2010-12-22
reply to JMJimmy

said by JMJimmy:

said by jonnytek :

My girlfriend and I have just purchased and moved into her father's house. We had the Videotron technician come by tonight to hook up our Teksavvy Internet but the demarcation point is in our neighbour's property. He went to ask her to unlock the door to her backyard and then screamed at him saying that he had no right to enter her property and slammed the door on him! This was about an hour or two ago. She's shut her lights, closed the flaps on her Tempo and is not answering her phone. I've asked my father in law to extend his Internet another month since it was going to stop tomorrow so at least I've still got Internet!

Does anyone know what recourse I have? I live in Laval, Quebec. Any help would be greatly appreciated.

If the neighbour isn't reasonable there's a simple way to resolve the issue:

Call the police and/or the RCMP. It's actually a federal crime to impede technician access to telecommunications equipment. The tech should have done it on the spot or at the very least called in and had their legal dept call the woman.

aren't those techs the same thng as the rcmp/police i mean....oh right teehee

BronsCon

join:2003-10-24
Walnut Creek, CA
Reviews:
·SONIC.NET
reply to Neo

said by Neo:

said by BronsCon:

Can you really do that and get cable for free? I always wondered if such a thing was possible if you had access to the "distribution box".

Not if you value freedom.

d4m1r

join:2011-08-25
Reviews:
·Start Communicat..

said by BronsCon:

said by Neo:

said by BronsCon:

Not if you value freedom.

And if you don't?
--
www.613websites.com Budget Canadian Web Design and Hosting

BronsCon

join:2003-10-24
Walnut Creek, CA
Reviews:
·SONIC.NET

It's the cable company, fuck 'em, do it.

I'm not sure how cable companies operate in Canada, but here in the US, even though they can press charges the first time they catch you, they typically give you three strikes. I learned this when my line was disconnected three times due to an unauthorized (stolen) DVR being connected; each time, a loss prevention rep came out before the tech to reconnect me, and each time they found that the lady in the unit across the hall from mine had spliced into my line.

Prison time for her after the 3rd offense.

She was a crafty girl, I'll tell you what; I came to find, while helping the landlord clean out her place, that she'd installed jumpers from my main breaker to hers. The power company wasn't interested, but I was able to salvage enough decent stuff (which no longer belonged to her by the time the landlord and I were cleaning her place out) from her apartment to more than cover the electricity bill I had been paying for her for over a year, so it all worked out in the end.