Search Topic:
uniqs
share rss forum feed

mloebl

join:2003-01-03
Tyngsboro, MA
reply to Jcink

Re: Problem on verizon's network?

I was working from home the other day and connecting via SSH to work (also on Verizon via their business services.) I watched during the day connection, which was *screaming* earlier just flake out, and traced it out to somewhere in NYC. Flaked like that for 20mins (to the point SSH was unusable with very high pings), then all of a sudden just started to speed up again as if someone hit a switch (or I switched gateways). They definitely are having issues. Unfortunately between the Quantum Speed upgrades and Hurricane Sandy, I suspect it really caused a bunch of problems with them.

I've also noticed since Sandy any of my speed tests, "local" to me in Boston typically show only 8 - 40mbs now (MUCH slower than before.) However NYC shows full speed (85 down / 38up) quite often. I wish I had thought to check my routing before the Hurricane as I see all my traffic quickly leaves Boston, goes to NYC, then back to Boston again for any of the speed test (and most other traffic). Most of the pings are lower there too (i.e. 8 - 12ms to NYC while 20 - 45ms to Boston.) When downloading now I have to fight the urge to pick local and pick NYC or NJ mirrors.

-Mike