Le Roy
Skillz
Premium Member
join:2002-05-03
Ocean Springs, MS

Le Roy

Premium Member

Motorola SB6141

While this modem is not "officially" supported by CableOne I can confirm that it works just fine on Cable One's network. They officially support the SB6121, but I wanted the newer SB6141, so I spent the $10 more to take a chance. I had to call CableOne to sync the devices MAC address on their end, once that was done I had no issues at all connecting. I'm getting my rated speed or a little more in some cases. So anyone on the fence about getting the SB6141 to get out from having to pay $8 per month to rent the one Cable One gives you, I can confirm it works.

rekd0514
join:2009-03-24
North Sioux City, SD

rekd0514

Thanks for the info!

Le Roy
Skillz
Premium Member
Ocean Springs, MS

Le Roy

Premium Member

Well the modem does work, but it's either Cable One or the Modem causing my connection to get dropped constantly. So far Cable One has replaced the inside wire directly to my modem, the outside line directly from the neighborhood hub and all the ends and splitters in between. While the connection status has gotten better, it still goes out too frequently. It's a pain in the #@$.
Ergo
join:2013-05-29

Ergo

Did CableOne resolve this issue for you?

I live in the same area and am having the exact same problem with a Motorola SB6141. At random times I get significant packet loss or disconnects. When I check the modem signal the SNR on the channel at 549000000 Hz seems to be dropping below 30 dB with millions of codeword errors. SNR on the other channels remains stable at 37-38 dB. It takes anywhere from a few seconds to thirty minutes for the modem to recover then things run fine for a few hours.

CableOne insists that they see no problem with my signal. They sent a tech out and replaced all external wiring. I replaced all the internal wiring in the house. The problem seems to be happening less often but is still not fixed...

Le Roy
Skillz
Premium Member
Ocean Springs, MS

Le Roy

Premium Member

No it's not fixed, but it has been a lot better now. I only see one or two drops a day now, instead of 3+ ever hour. CableOne also replaced every line to the street, plus the line directly to my Cable Modem... While my signals have improved, it hasn't fixed the issue.

Upon further research, it seems that the problem is due to T3 and T4 timeouts. When the modem gets them, it causes it to reboot. This is a firmware issue and sadly the only way to get the firmware updated is by CableOne and from what I can gather, they wont update the firmware. What firmware is on your router? If it's the white version, you might have a newer firmware, but if it's the black one, then most likely not.
Ergo

Ergo

Firmware Name: SB_KOMODO-1.0.6.10-SCM00-NOSH

I have the black version. Guess I will buy a different router (not Motorola) and see if that solves the problem.

Le Roy
Skillz
Premium Member
Ocean Springs, MS

Le Roy

Premium Member

Well we have the same firmware.

Looking through my logs, it seems the last time I had issues was around 11:30 PM last night. No T3/T4 errors.

Bunch of DS Partial Server Fallback, Lost MDD Timeout, and MDD Recovery following MDD Loss entries. No idea if they caused the router to reboot/rsync. Doesn't look like it, but I wasn't here to see.

It seems to be only an issue with the SB6141 modem, other Motorola modems don't seem to be effected by it.
Ergo

Ergo

Yesterday from 11:15 through midnight for me.

I had a SB6121 which I replaced with the SB6141 after the problems started back in March.

Going to reinstall the old modem first to see if that makes any difference.
Ergo

Ergo

Well it's been over 24 hours without a problem. SNR seems stable across all 4 channels with only a few errors.

Thanks for the help.

Le Roy
Skillz
Premium Member
Ocean Springs, MS

Le Roy

Premium Member

No problem.

I will like to mention that I haven't had a single issue with service lately at all. Not sure if they finally fixed it on their end or what, but it's been rock solid.

I also upgraded to the 50Mbps connection recently, love it.
Le Roy

Le Roy

Premium Member

Well I take that back. I guess I haven't been using my connection as much as I thought I have lately. I looked over the logs and apparently my modem had to reboot/reset itself 4 times between 930 and 1130PM last night.
Ergo

Ergo

Well it's been 12 days with no issues at all on the SB6121. I was on the 5Mbps plan now upgraded to the 50Mbps plan and it's running fine.

Maybe we both got bad SB6141 modems...
Idahospud
join:2013-06-11
Boise, ID

Idahospud

It could be.
Now the SB6141 is officially supported by cable one.
»support.cableone.net/app ··· m-models
Pocatello
join:2011-05-17
83201-4406

Pocatello to Le Roy

to Le Roy
I read somewhere else something that supports the statement made in this thread about the white versus the black version.

If the statement can be believed, the white versions are the only versions for retail sale. The black version could be old, with old firmware, and could be used or re-manufactured products.

Get a new white 6141 if you can.
fieroloki
join:2007-07-29
Van Alstyne, TX

fieroloki to Le Roy

to Le Roy
I was just handed a Moto SBG6580. Specs arn't bad.