All Forums Hot Topics Gallery
spc
Search similar:

uniqs

mark42
join:2006-02-07
Blairstown, NJ

mark42

Want to upgrade my Sprint mobile Pantech card.

The Pantech PX 500 card is in the Linksys WRT54G3G router. It appears that the PX 500 card is behind in firmware and needs to be updated.

The router shows the card info as follows:

Data Card Status

Card Model : PX-500
Card Firmware : D0500SPM05_5.172 1 [Feb 02 2007 15:00:00], PRL_VER : 60608

The Sprint website shows a version dated newer than mine. How can the PX 500 have a firmware update in the Linksys router? I don't have a laptop with a card slot anymore. Think some disconnect issues we are having in the house may be linked to the card needing a firmware update.

Any suggestions?

Thanks,
Mark.

AVD
Respice, Adspice, Prospice
Premium Member
join:2003-02-06
Onion, NJ

AVD

Premium Member

did it stop working?

I have the same configuration and haven't updated in years (I don't even have a computer with a pcmcia slot anymore)

the px-500 dies and was replaced 3+ years ago,

mark42
Blairstown, NJ

mark42

I don't have a pcmcia slot either. Just ordered a USB to PCMCIA adapter for air cards. Will see if that lets me update the card with Sprint SmartView.

Been getting a lot of disconnects, and timeouts even when the router indicates the card is connected. Have replaced the router, and router has latest firmware from Sprint (wrt54g3g-st)

AVD
Respice, Adspice, Prospice
Premium Member
join:2003-02-06
Onion, NJ

AVD

Premium Member

is your area an eHRPD zone (migrating to LTE)

SPRINT service has been on a steady decline the last two months. Even my fully updataed SGS3 is at 1xRTT in Downtown Brooklyn right now.

Its like they shut data off on their towers.

mark42
Blairstown, NJ

mark42

Here is the latest:

I have noticed that when the laptops lose internet service, the wired PC and media players don't. So I bought a new router (linksys EA2700) and turned off the wireless in the old Linksys wtr54g3g-st router that holds the air card. Connected the wrt54g3g-st to the EA2700 like it was a modem. The EA2700 handles all the wired and wireless connections now. The wrt54g3g-st just connects to the air card.

The result is that there has been only one disconnect in tha last week (used to be multiple daily) and after a minute or so, it reconnected on its own. So I am satisfied with this result.

Another improvement has been in Sprint itself. Last year we went through a two month period of being disconnected every 10 minutes. Sprint said the problems were related to tower upgrades. Now I notice that download speeds are up to 2.5 Mbps! A huge difference of the old max of 1.1 Mbps. Frostwire shows downloads of video rips are typically at 200 to 290 MBps. Never saw downloads that fast before.

Now I have two of the Linksys WRT54g3g-st routers, and both have the same wireless problem, so its not just an isolated problem with one router. My guess is that the wireless starts to have problems on these routers after a few years. So if anyone else seems to be getting constant disconnects or just 'hanging' through the Sprint router, try daisy chaining it to another router and see how it works.

BTW, I did not install the software that Linksys suggests you use with their new line of routers. They still respond to direct access via a web browser. Set up the address of the wrt54g3g-st to 192.168.2.1, and left the new EA2700 as 192.168.1.1 They both respond to their respective addresses for management, and the EA2700 did not need any changes to support the WRT54G3G-ST as an internet modem. Just plugged it in and all works well.

Take note that I did not use the Linksys "Smart Wi Fi" router firmware. I am running the Classic firmware.
prenger745
join:2013-02-14

prenger745 to mark42

to mark42
I too have a Pantech 500 in a Linksys Router. The last 3 weeks or so I have been getting horrible speeds...when previously I was amazed at how fast Sprint 3g had become (it was not uncommon for me to pull down at 250K/bs). The last 3 weeks, somewhere around 60K/bs. I called Sprint and they basically said my card was outdated and couldn't go any faster than 60K/s. Seems odd that I was able to until just recently.

Could it be the actual card itself? I have no problem buying on on ebay and trying it out. Anyone else having similar issues?

Thanks,
Dan

mark42
Blairstown, NJ

mark42

No, not the card, as I am hitting 200+ KBps even as I write this with frostwire downloads.