Premium
join:2000-12-03
Brandon, FL
kudos:5
Reviews:
·Bright House
reply to leiolanisad

Re: [Scam] Tenant Verified Scam

anyone that's going on vacation be careful. saw a news story recently in the area of people renting vacation rentals (paying up front) only to get here to find out they've been scammed. Apparently this one is pretty slick.
--
| map your city |

Hello

@mycingular.net
reply to leiolanisad

I replied to a posting for a 3 bedroom house in Independence LA and the email reply went to a brittany, however i received email replies from poeple with 2 different names regarding the same listing which made me skeptical so I started searching phrases online and realized it was this scam!! Here are the emails I have received.

On Apr 30, 2013, at 8:17 PM, "LillianFuller.93038@yahoo.com" wrote:

Hey Rachael,
Did you get my last email?
The property is a 3 bedroom 3.0 bath with garage and washer/dryer. Pets are allowed with a $100 pet fee.
The requirements to lease our property are the following:
1. Drivers license
2. First months rent and optional fee for pets
3. Rental Agreement, I'll bring it to the showing
(Options are month-to-month, 6 month or a 1 year lease)
4. Completed background check for each applicant
The provider we use is Tenant Verified, here is a link.
This is an easy way for me to screen applicants based on previous tenant history and employment information. If you have a felony or bad rental history, I am flexible and I'll work with you.
Contact me when you've completed your background check. It is in a .pdf, you can print it and bring to the showing or email it to me. I am looking for serious tenants not window shoppers or tire kickers, I have 3 rentals and a full-time job.
What's the best contact number for you? Are you available tomorrow?
Enjoy your Tuesday!
Lillian Fuller

Hey Rachael,
The property is a 3 bedroom 3.0 bath with garage and washer + dryer. Pets are accepted with a $100 pet fee.
Requirements to rent our property are as follows:
1. A copy of your ID
2. 1st months rent and optional pet fee
(It's month to month, 6 month or a 1 year lease)
4. Completed background check for each applicant
The provider we use is Tenant Verified: link.
This is an affordable way for me to screen applicants based on prior tenant history and job history. If you have a criminal record or bad tenant history, I'm flexible and I'll work with you.
Contact me once you've completed your background check. It is in a .pdf, you can print it and bring to the showing or email it to me. I'm looking for serious tenants not window shoppers or tire kickers, I have 3 rental properties and a full time job.
Enjoy your Monday!
cristina chastain

Sw

@rr.com
reply to leiolanisad

Can't believe this! Contacted someone about a 3 bedroom 2 and a half bathroom. They said the same thing everyone else posted and told me to bring the background check to the showing! Glad I didn't wanna spend the 80$ on the background check before even seeing the place. I feel terrible for people who fall for this, that site needs to get shut down!!! Thank god for forums like this. People need to do their research!

FML

@rr.com

UGGGHHHH. I fell for this scam. Luckily I caught the charge before it went through and was able to cancel the charges and cancel my card. The charges were for $39.95 each (I ran 2 background checks ) and they were still pending. FML, they now have all my info.

I placed a 90 day fraud alert on my credit report through Equifax (which should notify Transunion and Experian) and a security freeze on my credit files. There was no theft, so I don't even know if I can file a police report. I'm going to make a complaint at the websites listed and pray my husband and I don't become the victims of identity theft.

Questions

@communications.com
reply to leiolanisad

I have a questions for those of you have seen this posting on craigslist. I found one recently in my area it had pictures and seemed very legit. In the posting I say there were pictures, were there any photos on the craigslist postings that you saw with this Scam. If so what were they of?

pcdebb
RIP dadkins
Premium
Brandon, FL

just because there are pictures doesnt necessarily make it legit. those pictures could have been copied from another ad.
--
| map your city |

Doctor Olds
I Need A Remedy For What's Ailing Me.
Premium,VIP
join:2001-04-19
1970 442 W30
kudos:18

1 edit
reply to Questions

said by Questions :

I have a questions for those of you have seen this posting on craigslist. I found one recently in my area it had pictures and seemed very legit. In the posting I say there were pictures, were there any photos on the craigslist postings that you saw with this Scam. If so what were they of?

It doesn't really matter what the pictures are of since there is no property to rent at that price being a scammer posted the ad, but the important part is that all ads that tend to ask you to use Tenant Verified (»tenantverified.com ) are a scam. Then Tenant Verified makes it look like you will only spend $39.95 but in fact they have charged as high as $3,995.00 using people's credit card which is a separate scam. Of course that leaves you cleaning up the mess if you can.

Plus you have given them everything they need to now steal your identity if the money theft isn't bad enough the scammers go forward and try to ruin your credit.

Other info.
»www.ripoffreport.com/r/tenantver···-1019202
--
What’s the point of owning a supercar if you can’t scare yourself stupid from time to time?

JessP

@handarendall.com
reply to leiolanisad

I just came across this add in the Alabama Craiglist for the Birmingham and Tuscaloosa areas. I received the same email but I knew it was fishy.

stactris

@sbcglobal.net

I just got the same thing today in the Cleveland area. I was able to stop the charge on my credit card. I also called the company and they said they will cancel the temporary membership. Now I will just keep my fingers crossed and hope for the best.

Angry renter

@optonline.net
reply to leiolanisad

I got the same email... and when i didnt respond the first time she emailed me AGAIN! How ballsy can you be? Obviously I recognize a scam when I see one... and then to email me again... Its aggravating! Thank You for having this available for people to confirm their suspicions!!! Excellent post!!

Did you get my last e-mail?
The property is a 2 bedroom 2.0 bath with garage and washer + dryer. Cats and dogs are allowed with a $100 cleaning fee.
Requirements to lease our property are the following:
1. A copy of your ID
2. First months rent and optional pet fee
(It is month to month, 6 month or a 1 year lease)
4. Background check for each applicant
The service we use is Tenant Verified, here is a link.
This is an easy way for me to screen applicants based on prior tenant history and employment information. If you have a felony or bad tenant history, I am flexible and I'll help you out.
Let me know once you've completed your background check. It's in a .pdf, you can print it and bring to the showing or email it to me. I am looking for serious tenants not window shoppers or tire kickers, I have 3 rental properties and a full time job.
Enjoy your Saturday!
Kimberly Wolf

garys_2k
Premium
join:2004-05-07
Farmington, MI

Copy a large file from your Windows (or whatever OS you're using) directory, rename it [last name]_background_check.pdf and send it to them. Tell them you need to know right away when you can move in.

feelingsilly

@myvzw.com
reply to leiolanisad

Question

said by leiolanisad :

Someone is placing apartment/condo add on Craigslist EVERYWHERE in the US. The wording they are using is as followed:

The property is a 2 bedroom 1.5 bath with garage and washer and dryer. Dogs and cats are allowed with a $100 cleaning charge.

Requirements to rent our property are as follows:

1. A copy of your drivers license
2. 1st months rent and optional fee for pets
3. Lease Agreement, I'll bring this to the showing
(Options are month to month, 6 month or one year)
4. Background check for each applicant

The service we use is Tenant Verified, here is a link.

This is an easy way for me to screen applicants based on previous addresses and employment information. If you have a criminal record or poor rental history, I am flexible and I'll work with you.

Contact me when you have your background check. It is in a .pdf, you can print it and bring to the showing or email it to me. I am looking for real tenants not window shoppers or tire kickers, right now I have 3 rental properties and a full-time job.

Enjoy your Tuesday!

Leida Gruesbeck

Once you click on link it tells you to use for tenant background it places you on their fraud website. When you charge your card they don't take $39.95 they take $3,995! How can I shut their website down? After seeing google looks to me they are truly traveling with this. How is it possible after having so many reports, complaints? Why are they NOT in jail?? Using a merchant machine it take 3 working days for money to get in their account which is direct deposit. Once it is wired it should be known who and where to catch them? Please help me shut this website down.

Did anyone get an error on the website saying unable to accept credit card? If so, were you still charged? I just fell for one of these but the site would not take my card.

pcdebb
RIP dadkins
Premium
Brandon, FL
Reviews:
·Bright House

it's possible something may have gone wrong (error on their end, site getting shut down or something, etc), but to be on the safe side, CONTACT YOUR BANK and have your card cancelled IMMEDIATELY.
--
| map your city |

fenix_jn

join:2006-12-28
Miami, FL
reply to feelingsilly

It would make sense that it failed... that way you can try another credit card, have that one failed and try another... until you run out of cards... mind you, the site might have recorded the details for every card you tried for use later...

Lioness

@qwest.net
reply to leiolanisad

Re: [Scam] Tenant Verified Scam

Thanks so much for sharing this. Found it straightaway as my scammy senses were tingling about a reply I got to a craigs listing. Reported the nimrods, too.
The verbiage in their reply is exactly what you listed (well, other than date/day. Which was even in different colored font.

Sure hope you didn't get punk'd out of nearly $4000. If so, hope you get it back multiplied.
Would that these miscreants get a LONG lasting smackdown! But alas, they apparently continue to train for a job in Washington D.C. ahem. .

ironbird

@verizon.net
reply to leiolanisad

I too responded to an ad on Craigslist and received this e-mail. Seems Tenant verified is now operating under Rental verified. May have been shut down and using a different name but the site logo and site looks virtually identical and the charge is the same :

We appreciate your interest in our home for rent.
The rental we have that?s currently vacant right now is a 3 bedroom 1.0 bath with garage in an amazing neighborhood. The property has a full size washer and dryer.
There have not been any pets in the home so there are no smells, stains or odors. The home is pet friendly with no breed restrictions, we do not charge a fee or require a deposit but if your pet damages the property you are responsible for repairs.
To rent our property we require the following:
1. A valid Driver?s License or Photo ID
2. The first months rent
3. Completed background check for each applicant
4. Rental Agreement (month to month, 6 months or 1 year), I will bring it to the viewing
You can complete the background check online using Rental Verified: link.
This is an affordable way for me to screen applicants based on prior tenant history and job history. If you have a felony or bad rental history, I am flexible and I will help you out.
This property rents quickly, contact me when you have your background check and are ready to schedule a viewing. It is in a .pdf, you can print it and bring to the viewing or email it to me.
I will be available tomorrow, Wednesday morning.
Victoria

This is the link to the new site, what is the easiest way to get this one put to a stop ?

»rentalverified.com/pricing?i=89

Adobows

@verizon.net
reply to leiolanisad

Got this one this evening. It's still active!

Thank you for your interest in our property for rent.
The home we have available for rent right now is a 2 bedroom 1.5 bath with garage in a high demand neighborhood. The property has a full size washer and dryer.
There have not been any pets in the property so there are no smells, stains or odors. The property is pet friendly with no breed restrictions, we do not charge a fee or require a deposit but if your pet damages the property you are responsible for repairs.
2. The 1st months rent
4. Lease Agreement (month to month, 6 months or 1 year), I will bring it to the viewing
This is an easy way for me to screen applicants based on prior tenant history and job history. If you have a felony or poor tenant history, I am flexible and I will work with you.
This property rents quickly, let me know when you have your background check and are ready to schedule a viewing. It is in a .pdf, you can print it and bring to the viewing or email it to me.
I will be available tomorrow, Saturday morning.
Gianna

bkay1984

@comcast.net

This is a copy of an email I received.. The scam is still going! Who doesn't ask for a deposit anymore? Especially if they allow pets! It definitely sounds too good to be true! Alarms were going off in my head at that!

"coffeyfaith44@yahoo.com
Jun 4 (2 days ago)

to me
Betty,
We appreciate your interest in our property for rent.
The property we have available for rent right now is a 3 bedroom 1.5 bath with garage in an amazing area. The property has a washer and dryer.
There have not been any pets in the property so there are no smells, stains or odors. The property is pet friendly with no breed restrictions, we do not charge a fee or require a deposit but if your pet damages the property it is up to you to complete all repairs.
2. The 1st months rent
3. Background check for each applicant
4. Rental Agreement (month to month, 6 months or 1 year), I will bring this to the showing
This is an affordable way for me to screen applicants based on prior rental history and employment information. If you have a felony or poor tenant history, I am flexible and I will work with you.
This property rents quickly, contact me when you have your background check and are ready to schedule a viewing. It's in a .pdf, you can print it and bring to the showing or email it to me.
I will be available tomorrow, Wednesday morning.
Faith"

Colorado Apt

@nhmccd.edu
reply to leiolanisad

I received the same email when I replied to an ad on Craigslist. I was a bit suspicious when I saw the ad since the price was so low and the wording was a bit odd.

Thanks for posting about this scam. We need to get the word out there so that no one else gets taken advantage of.

Fell for it

@comcast.net
reply to leiolanisad

Also just a heads up there is another company name they are using now, it is Rental Verified.com. I fell for it today, but then thought about it and found this forum. Called my bank to dispute the charge, we called the company and got a refund. I clicked the one time only report, but they were planning on charging my account every month. That is what the rep said. Be aware!

Jamiecd21

join:2013-06-15
Bend, OR
reply to ironbird

I too, have been taken by this scam. As other have mentioned, I feel dumb and naive. But your right, who could pass up such cheap rent?

Definitely needs to be put to a stop. I plan to call the newspaper in the morning. See if I can't get it put out there even more publicly.

kcterp

@ndhhs.org
reply to leiolanisad

I just got the same message.. I responded back with my phone number and said I would fill out the report. Glad I checked here first!! Has anyone else responded and included their phone number then get calls? I know that is a small concern compared to being charged a large sum of money but I'm just curious.
Thanks!
---
Kxxx,
Thank you for your interest in our home for rent.
The home we have available for rent today is a 2 bedroom 1.0 bath with garage in a high demand area. The property has a washer and dryer.
There have not been any pets in the home so there are no smells, stains or odors. The home is pet friendly with no breed restrictions, we do not charge a fee or require a deposit but if your pet damages the property you are responsible for repairs.
2. The first months rent
4. Rental Agreement (month to month, 6 months or 1 year), I'll bring it to the viewing
This is an affordable way for me to screen applicants based on prior rental history and employment information. If you have a criminal record or bad tenant history, I'm flexible and I'll work with you.
This property rents quickly, contact me when you've completed your background check and are ready to schedule a viewing. It's in a .pdf, you can print it and bring to the viewing or email it to me.
What is the best contact number for you? Are you available tomorrow?
I will be available tomorrow, Thursday morning.
Allison

Megan

@verizon.net
reply to leiolanisad

I just got this email from a Yahoo account:

Megan,
We appreciate your interest in our property for rent.
The home we have that?s currently vacant right now is a 3 bedroom 2.0 bath with garage in an excellent area. The rental has a washer and dryer.
There have not been any pets in the property so there are no smells, stains or odors. The property is pet friendly with no breed restrictions, we do not charge a fee or require a deposit but if your pet damages the property you are responsible for repairs.
2. The 1st months rent
4. Lease Agreement (month to month, 6 months or 1 year), I will bring it to the viewing
This is an affordable way for me to screen applicants based on previous rental history and employment information. If you have a felony or poor rental history, I'm flexible and I will work with you.
This property rents quickly, let me know when you have your background check and are ready to schedule a viewing. It is in a .pdf, you can print it and bring to the viewing or email it to me.
Camila

nataleigh

@atmc.net
reply to leiolanisad

Just wanted to make sure I keep this thread alive. It just saved my butt! I'm still a little nervous because I replied to the email, but at least all they got was my phone number Attaching my response as well to a post in Raleigh NC. The site is now operating under verifiedrental.com.

Email used: bowmanzoe601@yahoo.com
Natasha,
Thank you for your interest in our property for rent.
The property we have available for rent today is a 3 bedroom 2.0 bath with garage in an excellent neighborhood. The rental has a washer and dryer.
There have not been any pets in the property so there are no smells, stains or odors. The property is pet friendly with no breed restrictions, we do not charge a fee or require a deposit but if your pet damages the property it is up to you to complete all repairs.
2. The first months rent
4. Lease Agreement (month to month, 6 months or 1 year), I'll bring this to the viewing
This is an affordable way for me to screen applicants based on prior addresses and employment information. If you have a criminal record or bad rental history, I'm flexible and I'll work with you.
I will be available tomorrow, Sunday morning.
Zoe

ausualsuspec

@comcast.net

Also grateful for this post. The response I got for a listing posted in Brattleboro, VT was almost the same and linked to Verified Rental. I had already responded that I wasn't going to pay for a background check before I even knew if I was interested in the property and then I got suspicious and did a search on the company and found this thread.

Here's the response received after inquiring about the Craigslist post.

"Thank you for your interest in our home for rent.
The rental we have available for rent right now is a bedroom bath with garage in an amazing area. The rental has a washing machine and dryer.
There have not been any pets in the home so there are no smells, stains or odors. The home is pet friendly with no breed restrictions, we do not charge a fee or require a deposit but if your pet damages the property it is up to you to complete all repairs.
2. The first months rent
3. Background check for each applicant
4. Rental Agreement (month to month, 6 months or 1 year), I'll bring this to the viewing
This is an affordable way for me to screen applicants based on prior rental history and employment information. If you have a felony or bad rental history, I am flexible and I'll help you out.
This property rents quickly, contact me once you've completed your background check and are ready to schedule a viewing. It is in a .pdf, you can print it and bring to the viewing or email it to me.
I will be available tomorrow, Friday morning.
Harper"

jmd

@comcastbusiness.net
reply to leiolanisad

I just got this same kind of email and searched for the website after receiving the email on my phone. Thankfully this website showed up. I am looking for a house to rent in the Jackson MS area and you would not believe the number of scams I have run across recently. I will not send anyone money if they want their money for a house they are going to have to show me the house in person. I hate that I can't find a house for rent in this area and keep running into terrible people like this even on respectable websites but at least they haven't gotten any of my hard earned money then I would be furious.

mist624

@verizon.net

We appreciate your interest in our home for rent.
The rental we have available for rent right now is a 2 bedroom 2.5 bath with garage in an excellent neighborhood. The home has a full size washer and dryer.
2. The first months rent
4. Rental Agreement (month to month, 6 months or 1 year), I'll bring it to the viewing
This is an affordable way for me to screen applicants based on prior tenant history and job history. If you have a felony or bad rental history, I am flexible and I'll help you out.
This property rents quickly, contact me when you have your background check and are ready to schedule a viewing. It's in a .pdf, you can print it and bring to the viewing or email it to me.
Chloe

----------

I'm a first time renter and googled about this. Thanks everyone for posting about it!

KR

@comcast.net
reply to leiolanisad

I just got the same E-mail from a woman named Lydia. The wording was just a little different.

vulnerable

@rr.com
reply to leiolanisad

I fell victim to this same scam. My card, as of right now, only shows $39.95 pending. I have gone to my bank and cancelled my card. They're waiting for it to clear to put in a dispute. Fantastic. Wish I would have seen this sooner. Hopefully this keeps others from making the same mistake. It's called Rental Verified now. Beware!!

FearlessG

@sbcglobal.net
reply to leiolanisad

It is end of June, 2013, and the same email is posted...95% identical. Difference is now they want us to click on the link Rentalverified.com for $29.95 unlimited screening. I called the site, and the girl answering refused to give her name or her location. When I asked third time, she faked static noises and said the connection was bad. She kept this up so conversation went nowhere. She said she'd reverse charge on my credit card, and she never did.

Beware of Rentalverified.com!!!