uniqs
Madtown
Premium Member
join:2008-04-26
93637-2905

Madtown

Premium Member

Am I getting 8 bonded channels?

I was wondering if I get 8 bonded channels instead of 4. My modem shows me getting 4, but I want to know if I'm going to get 8 if I upgrade my modem. I'm planning on getting a Zoom 5341J modem.

Also would a Zoom modem work well with a Netgear 3700?

AnonMan
@comcast.net

AnonMan

Anon

None can answer that. Some areas have 4 some 8 some 6 etc.. If you're not having speed problems it shouldn't matter anyway
Thordrune
Premium Member
join:2005-08-03
Lakeport, CA

Thordrune to Madtown

Premium Member

to Madtown
Depending on your local setup and the modem, it is sometimes possible to tell if there are eight downstream channels.

As for the modem/router pairing, I don't see any reason why it wouldn't work fine.

jaynick
lit up
Premium Member
join:2001-02-06
Sterling Heights, MI

jaynick to Madtown

Premium Member

to Madtown
said by Madtown:

Also would a Zoom modem work well with a Netgear 3700?

Yes it should work well with most any approved modem. It did for me including the Zoom 5341J.
Moffetts
join:2005-05-09
San Mateo, CA

Moffetts to Madtown

to Madtown
There's 8 in Fresno.
Madtown
Premium Member
93637-2905

Madtown to AnonMan

Premium Member

to AnonMan
said by AnonMan :

None can answer that. Some areas have 4 some 8 some 6 etc.. If you're not having speed problems it shouldn't matter anyway

Past few days I've been exp slow speed. Nothing changed on my end, changed no settings, still had the same set up as I did b4.
Madtown

Madtown to Moffetts

Premium Member

to Moffetts
said by Moffetts:

There's 8 in Fresno.

I think that my head end is located in Fresno, as there is no head end in Madera.

NetFixer
From My Cold Dead Hands
Premium Member
join:2004-06-24
The Boro
Netgear CM500
Pace 5268AC
TRENDnet TEW-829DRU

NetFixer to Madtown

Premium Member

to Madtown
said by Madtown:

said by AnonMan :

Past few days I've been exp slow speed. Nothing changed on my end, changed no settings, still had the same set up as I did b4.

How about some specifics?
What kind of speed problems?
How severe are the speed problems?
How did you detect/measure the speed problems?
Can you post your modem/line stats?
Are you experiencing the speed problems from a wired Ethernet connection, or from a WiFi connection?

Conditions can change (on your end, or Comcast's end) without any explicit physical or config modifications taking place. A new 8x8 modem is not necessarily going to make any difference.
Madtown
Premium Member
93637-2905

Madtown

Premium Member

said by NetFixer:

said by Madtown:

said by AnonMan :

How about some specifics?
What kind of speed problems?
How severe are the speed problems?
How did you detect/measure the speed problems?
Can you post your modem/line stats?
Are you experiencing the speed problems from a wired Ethernet connection, or from a WiFi connection?

Conditions can change (on your end, or Comcast's end) without any explicit physical or config modifications taking place. A new 8x8 modem is not necessarily going to make any difference.

Right now the speed is fine, but later in the evening it won't be. Sometimes it's fine others its not. I just got on a few mins ago and it's 3:48pm, not many ppl are home yet. I saw some kids walking home when I was coming in today, not sure how many of them are CC's customers (or their parents.) I figure it's congestions but I can't be sure, because I haven't been home that much when most ppl aren't home.

Downstream Bonding Channel Value
Channel ID 2 1 4 5
Frequency 711000000 Hz 705000000 Hz 723000000 Hz 729000000 Hz
Signal to Noise Ratio 37 dB 38 dB 38 dB 38 dB
Downstream Modulation QAM256 QAM256 QAM256 QAM256
Power Level
The Downstream Power Level reading is a snapshot taken at the time this page was requested. Please Reload/Refresh this Page for a new reading
10 dBmV 10 dBmV 9 dBmV 9 dBmV

Upstream Bonding Channel Value
Channel ID 9 10
Frequency 30600000 Hz 25300000 Hz
Ranging Service ID 1103 1103
Symbol Rate 5.120 Msym/sec 2.560 Msym/sec
Power Level 43 dBmV 42 dBmV
Upstream Modulation [3] QPSK
[3] 64QAM
[3] QPSK
[2] 16QAM

Ranging Status Success Success

Signal Stats (Codewords) Bonding Channel Value
Channel ID 2 1 4 5
Total Unerrored Codewords 10945357756 10945357966 10945357792 10945358146
Total Correctable Codewords 20 0 0 1
Total Uncorrectable Codewords 1566 1464 1361 1424

NetFixer
From My Cold Dead Hands
Premium Member
The Boro
Netgear CM500
Pace 5268AC
TRENDnet TEW-829DRU

NetFixer

Premium Member

said by Madtown:

Right now the speed is fine, but later in the evening it won't be. Sometimes it's fine others its not. I just got on a few mins ago and it's 3:48pm, not many ppl are home yet. I saw some kids walking home when I was coming in today, not sure how many of them are CC's customers (or their parents.) I figure it's congestions but I can't be sure, because I haven't been home that much when most ppl aren't home.

The only thing I notice on your stats is that the DS power levels are a bit high. That should not be producing congestion like symptoms, but it is a potential problem.

You have not said what speed tier you are on, or what the speed is when the problem occurs, but unless you are on a 100+ speed tier, swapping from a 4x4 modem to an 8x4 modem is not likely to have much of an impact on your performance (even if your area supports 8 DS channel bonding and you are experiencing prime time congestion).
Madtown
Premium Member
93637-2905

Madtown

Premium Member

said by NetFixer:

said by Madtown:

The only thing I notice on your stats is that the DS power levels are a bit high. That should not be producing congestion like symptoms, but it is a potential problem.

You have not said what speed tier you are on, or what the speed is when the problem occurs, but unless you are on a 100+ speed tier, swapping from a 4x4 modem to an 8x4 modem is not likely to have much of an impact on your performance (even if your area supports 8 DS channel bonding and you are experiencing prime time congestion).

How would I lower my DS power level? I'm on the Performance speed teir, (20/4 with PB)

NetFixer
From My Cold Dead Hands
Premium Member
The Boro
Netgear CM500
Pace 5268AC
TRENDnet TEW-829DRU

NetFixer

Premium Member

said by Madtown:

How would I lower my DS power level? I'm on the Performance speed teir, (20/4 with PB)

At this point, your DS power levels are at the upper edge of acceptability (in my opinion), but if they have always been that high, it would only mean that it is something to keep an eye on to see if it gets worse over time or with weather changes. If this is something that has recently changed, and previously the values were between -8 dBmV and +8 dBmv (with 0 dBmv being optimal), then it might warrant checking into it further.

About the only thing that you can do yourself is to check all of the coax connections and make sure that they are all tight and clean.

Being on the Performance 20/4 speed tier, you would be very unlikely to see any difference in performance with an 8x4 modem (with or without a congestion problem in your neighborhood).
rjacks009
join:2013-01-23
Palmyra, MO

rjacks009 to Madtown

to Madtown
Have you tried bypassing the router, and hooking the modem directly to a computer to see if there is any difference at the certain times? If not, then try that. I would also recommend logging onto the router and turn off a setting called WMM/QOS just to do it. What that is is "wireless multi media interface." If another device that is connecting to the router supports WMM then that device will take priority of the speed. I run into people that have Directv converters that are connected wireless have this problem. What speeds were you getting to start with? Also when you log onto your router, check and see if the broadcast channel of the router is set to auto. If it doesn't have an auto setting then should be pre set to channel 6. change it to a different channel, like channel 2. All your neighbors could be on channel 6 also and can effect range.

PeteC2
Got Mouse?
MVM
join:2002-01-20
Bristol, CT

PeteC2 to Madtown

MVM

to Madtown
Although it certainly would not hurt going to an 8x4 D3 modem, at the performance tier it is unlikely that you would enjoy any noticeable changes in your service.