spc
uniqs
peterboro (banned)
join:2006-11-03
Peterborough, ON

peterboro (banned) to NullQwerty9

to NullQwerty9

Re: Water Shut Off Valve Not Shutting Off Fully

Standard procedure for me has been to install separate shutoffs with bleeders to segments of the house when I do plumbing projects. With 3 bathrooms and two kitchens it helps. Plus when the city re-did the water lines on our street and we fed off a rubber hose for months I installed an new 3/4 ball and cock main shut-off.

cdru
Go Colts
MVM
join:2003-05-14
Fort Wayne, IN

cdru

MVM

said by peterboro:

...I installed an new 3/4 ball and cock main shut-off.

I've heard of government screwing over it's citizens, but installing a new ball and cock seems a little excessive.

I think the term for the valve is ballcock (all one word). You also didn't install a ballcock valve as your main shutoff. A ballcock valve aka a float valve typically would be found in your toilet and consists of a hollow sphere on the end of an arm that floats, shutting off when the water reaches a particular level.

You probably mean just a standard 1/4 turn ball valve, which is what is recommended over gate valves for water shutoffs.
peterboro (banned)
join:2006-11-03
Peterborough, ON

1 recommendation

peterboro (banned)

said by cdru:

said by peterboro:

...I installed an new 3/4 ball and cock main shut-off.

I've heard of government screwing over it's citizens, but installing a new ball and cock seems a little excessive.

Yes, you're right. I must of been having some sort of subliminal homoerotic thoughts about my plumbing and as for the government we are fully socialized medicine up here, and as I could use a couple inches, I'd welcome the installation if the new one if it were longer.