how-to block ads
reply to dolphins
Re: SafeSearch hijackI think we are through unless there is a remaining issue.
To remove all of the tools we used and the files and folders they created, please download OTC.exe by OldTimer:
- Save it to your Desktop.
- Double click OTC.exe.
- Click the CleanUp! button.
- If you are prompted to Reboot during the cleanup, select Yes.
- The tool will delete itself once it finishes.
Note: If any tool, file or folder (belonging to the program we have used) hasn't been deleted, please delete it manually.
To help keep malware off your system:
- Keep Windows updated at Windows Update or Microsoft Update.
- Keep your other applications updated, there are vulnerabilities that rely on exploits through other programs like Java, Microsoft Office, Adobe Reader, Flash, and others.
- Run a program like Secunia Online Software Inspector or FileHippo Update Checker to see what programs need to be updated.
- Be careful with flash drives, as they can spread infections. See this post on USB/flash drive safety.
- Stay away from P2P software; even with a clean P2P program, their networks are often riddled with malware.
- Don't click on attachments or links in e-mail, and read your e-mail in text-only mode for the highest safety.
- Don't click on links received in instant message programs.
- In place of Internet Explorer, browse with Firefox with the NoScript and AdBlock Plus add-ons.
- A HOSTS file will prevent Internet Explorer from communicating with sites known to be associated with adware or spyware. A good regularly updated HOST file is MVPS HOSTS File, available at »www.mvps.org/winhelp2002/hosts.htm
- A free non-resident utility to prevent the installation of ActiveX-based malware is JavaCool's SpywareBlaster. For real-time protection, there is SpywareGuard. Both are available at »www.javacoolsoftware.com/products.html
- I recommend reading Tony Klein's article So How did I get Infected in the First Place? at »www.spywareinfoforum.com/index.p···ic=60955
Does your problem appear resolved?
Proud ASAP member since 2005
Microsoft MVP/Consumer Security 2009-2010
dolphinsClean Up Our OceansPremium
Thank you, much appreciated.
I'm glad we could help.