BillRoland
Premium Member
join:2001-01-21
Ocala, FL

BillRoland to Octavean

Premium Member

to Octavean

Re: Microsoft Rumored to Release Subscription-based Windows Blue

One wonders how much more of Ballmer the shareholders are going to take.

BoToMaTiC
join:2003-10-29
Louisville, KY

BoToMaTiC

By the looks of things, Windows 7 will be the last great OS from Microsoft unless something drastically changes years from now. If you read everything involving Windows 8 plus making Media Center optional and now their gonna raise the cost of Windows 8 and now this with Windows Blue.

Microsoft is so going in the wrong direction. I can see I'm gonna be on Windows 7 for awhile. Something is totally off because people jumped from Windows XP to Vista to try it out which spawned Windows 7 and most people that used Windows XP now use Windows 7 but when Windows 7 came out, you had that feeling it was gonna be a great OS. Now think about Windows 8 and Windows Blue and where Microsoft is headed. Totally different feeling like this ain't gonna work out from where they were before.
Kerodo
join:2004-05-08

Kerodo

Yes, they are going in the wrong direction... but they are because they can, and nobody can do anything about it. They don't care whether you like it or not. Let's just hope it all changes back to something reasonable in the years to come....

JohnInSJ
Premium Member
join:2003-09-22
Aptos, CA

JohnInSJ

Premium Member

said by Kerodo:

Yes, they are going in the wrong direction... but they are because they can, and nobody can do anything about it. They don't care whether you like it or not. Let's just hope it all changes back to something reasonable in the years to come....

They are because they have to. You can thank Apple and Google (but mostly Apple). Unless you can talk people back into buying new PCs (and new OSes) every two years (for thousands, not hundreds of dollars) instead of $200 tablets and $100-$200 (subsidized) smart phones, it's not going to go back.
Kerodo

Kerodo

Technology changes, and things move forward, yes, and that's fine. But they're going about everything in the wrong way and alienating millions of loyal users in the process. Win 8 could have been done much better and satisfied everyone, but it wasn't. Their mistake.

I'm not hoping for a return to the past, just for something sensible that everyone can embrace... It can be done, but so far, they're not doing it... We shall see what the future brings...

Woody79_00
I run Linux am I still a PC?
Premium Member
join:2004-07-08
united state

Woody79_00

Premium Member

Well this is borderline stupid on Microsoft part, the Board of Directors and Gates need to get in their and yank Ballmer out of there before he bankrupts the company.

Microsoft...how hard is it to:

1. Build a stable landmark(OS) that will receive support and be sold for 3 years (Server OS gets 5 years) Both of these geared towards corporate or business use.

2. Release new versions every year for the consumer and smartphone/tablet market.

its a win-win..you get and keep your corporate base and add more subscribers, and you get the yearly releases you want on the consumer and mobile side of the equation.

How hard is this...corporate will kiss your rear ends if you give them a 3 year OS and a 5 year server OS

force this yearly thing down corporate throats, and they will begin looking to players like Red Hat that have LTS builds and tech support to back them, only using Windows for a few VM for legacy apps that can't be ported...

seems like MS is just trying to run themselves out of business...its just stupid on their part...its insane...

JohnInSJ
Premium Member
Aptos, CA

JohnInSJ to Kerodo

Premium Member

to Kerodo
said by Kerodo:

millions of loyal users

who aren't generating income. You don't want loyal users. You want steady income.
Kerodo

Kerodo

Lol... I think ms has done pretty well by it's loyal users thus far...

Let's wait and see where this all goes... or doesn't go..

JohnInSJ
Premium Member
Aptos, CA

JohnInSJ

Premium Member

said by Kerodo:

Lol... I think ms has done pretty well by it's loyal users thus far...

Yep, I agree. Even if it has cost them in agility. If Apple has reached saturation, and Android continues to be crap wrapped in shiny metal, there may still be time for Microsoft to "follow fast" as they have done before. If however the PC market is dead, then on the consumer side revenues will continue to trend down. Fortunately that's not all of their business, but it's a pretty big chunk.

Snakeoil
Ignore Button. The coward's feature.
Premium Member
join:2000-08-05
united state

Snakeoil to BoToMaTiC

Premium Member

to BoToMaTiC
IMO, why should I pay for an OS?

There are several flavors of Linux out there that are very user friendly, and with Steam supports Linux, I wouldn't be surprised to see more people migrate to it.
I just purchased a computer that had win 8 on it. I know I paid for win 8, in the price of the PC.
I can see MS following Apple/ with low cost upgrades. They'll recover some of that money through their "app" store.
It's the razor handle approach. Give away the handle, and charge what you will for the blades. You'll recoup the handle costs several times over.

JohnInSJ
Premium Member
Aptos, CA

JohnInSJ

Premium Member

said by Snakeoil:

You shouldn't. Use Linux. I use it for some things. Heck, I ran my laptop with it for 5 years when I was doing work that didn't require Windows or Office.

Of course not everyone wants to run Linux. It does require more effort than even OSX (which is *nix with a pretty shell) to run well. Some people are willing to pay for convenience.

Snakeoil
Premium Member
united state

1 edit

Snakeoil

Premium Member

I've been using Ubuntu on my main PC for the last 3 years.
Now I have this new one, and I'm deciding if I want to dual boot or not. i may just use my old main PC as a web surfer, and then just use the windows pc to play games or what not.

When I first got into Win 8 [yesterday], It felt like Chrome. Meaning that I had to create a user account so windows can synch across

JohnInSJ
Premium Member
Aptos, CA

JohnInSJ

Premium Member

said by Snakeoil:

I've been using Ubuntu on my main PC for the last 3 years.
Now I have this new one, and I'm deciding if I want to dual boot or not. i may just use my old main PC as a web surfer, and then just use the windows pc to play games or what not.

When I first got into Win 8 [yesterday], It felt like Chrome. Meaning that I had to create a user account so windows can synch across

You didn't *have* to create a Microsoft account. It just made syncing to Microsoft services possible.

Snakeoil
Premium Member
united state

Snakeoil

Premium Member

I wasn't told that at the time, or I may not have read that when setting it up.

steelingbox
join:2005-07-09
Casselberry, FL

steelingbox to JohnInSJ

to JohnInSJ
said by JohnInSJ:

said by Snakeoil:

Of course not everyone wants to run Linux. It does require more effort than even OSX (which is *nix with a pretty shell) to run well. Some people are willing to pay for convenience.

Give me an example because Linux seems to be much less effort to use than both Windows and OSX. Examples?

Spoonge Boob
Holographic Meatloaf? My favorite!
join:2002-05-26
Dogpatch, IL

Spoonge Boob to BillRoland

to BillRoland
said by BillRoland:

»www.youtube.com/watch?v= ··· 6S8EKbnU
BlitzenZeus
Burnt Out Cynic
Premium Member
join:2000-01-13

BlitzenZeus to steelingbox

Premium Member

to steelingbox
Wow this is off track...

How about that nix thought of my usb transceiver for my wireless keyboard and mouse as a bluetooth transceiver, and blocked it from being used normally which just passed through the wireless keyboard and mouse which work perfectly without any software being installed as if they were wired devices including in the bios. As in they worked during the setup, but once installed in nix neither responded until I had to manually edit a configuration file to exclude a brand of devices from being used as a bluetooth transceiver using other intput devices.

This on top of quite a bit of advanced support lacking in nix in general as many companies don't support nix, however they support windows, and osx.

The yearly updates like the apple updates will get annoying, especially since many people are used to buying something that the operating system that should be supported for many years. With the extension xp will of had support for 13 years, they get major os updates once a month, and many programs will auto-update, otherwise will usually tell the user their is a new version out. I understand in nix you can update other software packages by adding the repository, or manually executing packages, however some people felt uac was too annoying to add an extra click, do you really think they will correctly sudo the installer?

JohnInSJ
Premium Member
Aptos, CA

JohnInSJ to steelingbox

Premium Member

to steelingbox
said by steelingbox:

said by JohnInSJ:

said by Snakeoil:

Give me an example because Linux seems to be much less effort to use than both Windows and OSX. Examples?

SMB file sharing. Video Drivers (Nvidia - still need to run installer as root and have the source/dev packages for your OS installed so it can compile the driver) Cups printer management. Backup.

steelingbox
join:2005-07-09
Casselberry, FL

steelingbox

said by JohnInSJ:

SMB file sharing. Video Drivers (Nvidia - still need to run installer as root and have the source/dev packages for your OS installed so it can compile the driver) Cups printer management. Backup.

SMB file sharing is a Windows technology not Linux but still works for me without any effort. My proprietary video drivers are installed in one mouse click. Cups was developed by Apple for Unix and agreed needs some work but 2 out of the three things you point out are generally issues on remote machines not a stand alone workstation.

JohnInSJ
Premium Member
Aptos, CA

JohnInSJ

Premium Member

said by steelingbox:

said by JohnInSJ:

SMB file sharing is a Windows technology not Linux but still works for me without any effort. My proprietary video drivers are installed in one mouse click. Cups was developed by Apple for Unix and agreed needs some work but 2 out of the three things you point out are generally issues on remote machines not a stand alone workstation.

I'm comparing using a Linux box at home like I use windows boxes, and on my linux box to get Nvidia drivers (not the generics) I have to either be four point releases behind Nvidia's current driver, or if I want to be current like on a windows box, I have to compile it. Spin that how you will, it's more work.

It's not the only thing. I like linux, and use it. It's way better for ease of use/point and click admin than it was even 4 years ago... but it's still not anything I'd have my mother use.

neuromancer1
join:2007-01-22
York, ON

1 recommendation

neuromancer1 to Spoonge Boob

to Spoonge Boob
said by Spoonge Boob:

said by BillRoland:

Bill Gates need ditch this idiot fast. First he ditches the classic start menu option in Win7 and adds a bunch useless bloat ware, pretty eye candy. Then he creates the crapastic Win8 and now this.