Mele20
Premium
join:2001-06-05
Hilo, HI
kudos:4
reply to Fleeced

Re: [TWC] Why did the name change?

said by Fleeced:

Like Hob said. Go to TWC.com and see if you find any sort of RR branding. the ONLY branding for RR you will see relates to their email. The only "road runner" you might see on TWC is a link to rr.com. Everything else is simply TWC Internet.

Oh. Road Runner help is only for email? Wow, I guess all these years I have imagined all the other help that I have found at that site. My...my....my....

You are wrong. TWC is still using Road Runner branding for "help.rr.com" and that site, contrary to what you may think, is NOT about email. It has help for email issues but for a lot of other areas too that have NOTHING to do with email.

Who visits TWC.com? I think I have been there maybe twice in 12 years. When I went was to enroll in the IPv6 trials. I visit Road Runner Help site. Why would I visit TWC site? I visit Oceanic.com but seldom (generally only if clear QAM TV channels change). I visit hawaii.rr.com which redirects to Oceanic's version of Around Town. I still ping hawaii.rr.com on Ping Plotter Pro. I pay my bill at Oceanic's local office.
--
When governments fear people, there is liberty. When the people fear the government, there is tyranny. Thomas Jefferson

hobgoblin
Sortof Agoblin
Premium
join:2001-11-25
Orchard Park, NY
kudos:9

As stated a couple of times in this thread, the Time Warner Cable internet service is no longer advertised as Roadrunner. Its not referred to as Roadrunner internally. There are some hangovers the key one being the email domain. I am certain more people a day visit TWC.com that the sites you reference.

Hob

NormanS
I gave her time to steal my mind away
Premium,MVM
join:2001-02-14
San Jose, CA
kudos:11
Reviews:
·SONIC.NET
reply to Mele20

It took SBC at least three years to re-brand everything as AT&T. In 2007, two years after SBC bought AT&T, and one year after the "new" AT&T bought Bellsouth, you could still log in to SBC and Bellsouth web sites to manage your accounts.

It hasn't even been a year since TWC announced the re-branding.
--
Norman
~Oh Lord, why have you come
~To Konnyu, with the Lion and the Drum

hobgoblin
Sortof Agoblin
Premium
Orchard Park, NY

The Adelphia.net domain is still active and redirects to Roadrunner.com.

People are still using adelphia.net addresses years after the founders were incarcerated for whatever they did!

Hob
--
"A foolish consistency is the hobgoblin of little minds."
- Ralph Waldo Emerson

NormanS
Premium,MVM
San Jose, CA
Reviews:
·SONIC.NET

said by hobgoblin:

The Adelphia.net domain is still active and redirects to Roadrunner.com.

People are still using adelphia.net addresses years after the founders were incarcerated for whatever they did!

Considering that about half of Adelphia was taken by Comcast, I'd guess that about half of the former Adelphia customers lost their '@adelphia.net' email. Unless TWC is handling their email instead of Comcast.
--
Norman

hobgoblin
Sortof Agoblin
Premium
Orchard Park, NY

"Considering that about half of Adelphia was taken by Comcast, I'd guess that about half of the former Adelphia customers lost their '@adelphia.net' email. Unless TWC is handling their email instead of Comcast."

Yeah, not sure what happened to them, but TWC clearly kept their customers happy by keeping their email intact.

Hob
--
"A foolish consistency is the hobgoblin of little minds."
- Ralph Waldo Emerson

NormanS
Premium,MVM
San Jose, CA
Reviews:
·SONIC.NET

said by hobgoblin:

Yeah, not sure what happened to them, but TWC clearly kept their customers happy by keeping their email intact.

They couldn't both (Comcast and TWC) keep their customers on the '@adelphia.net' domain. Comcast had previously ditched the '@home.net', and '@attbi.com' email domains (a relative lost her '@home.net' email, but was able to keep her fairly unique username; a friend lost his '@attbi.com' email, and had to change his username in order to mitigate username contention: Both are now '@comcast.net').

As for keeping '@*.rr.com', I imagine that would depend on whether Warner Bros. charges a nominal license fee for the mark, or an exorbitant license fee.
--
Norman