All Forums Hot Topics Gallery
spc
Search similar:

uniqs
tee el cee
join:2010-01-30
Colts Neck, NJ

tee el cee

port a number from another house to 3rd digital voice line?

We have FIOS with 2 Digital Voice lines.
We're interested in a third line and we want to port a number from out of state. (My parents.)

On chat, a rep told me they couldn't port a number to DV. Does that sound right? Why?

guppy_fish
Premium Member
join:2003-12-09
Palm Harbor, FL

guppy_fish

Premium Member

The number has to be your area code for DV
pete1980
join:2013-01-16
Buffalo, NY

pete1980 to tee el cee

to tee el cee
That seems strange, since we can request a new number in just about any area code nationwide with DV. I'm not sure why one couldn't be ported in.
smrtech
join:2009-09-21
Springfield, PA

smrtech to tee el cee

to tee el cee
Oh, and if you have a standard home ONT, you'll now
need a SOHO one that can support more than 2 phone
jacks.

I had to do that and it was loads of fun coordinating all
that.
nyrrule27
join:2007-12-06
Howell, NJ

nyrrule27 to tee el cee

to tee el cee
just port it to vonage
ajricaud
join:2002-02-04
91745-2638

ajricaud

Or buy a Ooma Telo (Voip), have the number ported over and pay about $4/mo (taxes only).

rwj1
@verizon.net

rwj1 to guppy_fish

Anon

to guppy_fish
said by guppy_fish:

The number has to be your area code for DV

I moved with FiOS DV in 2011 and kept my old number in my new home. It is in different area code that the "local" area code here.

Kramer
Mod
join:2000-08-03
Richmond, VA

1 edit

Kramer to tee el cee

Mod

to tee el cee
Why don't you just get a Vonage line for your parents? They should be able to port the number. I have one FIOS DV line, one Vonage line and one Callcentric line. I'm probably switching the one FIOS line to Vonage in a month or two. The Vonage line has way better voice mail, more features and is reliable as the DV line. For me the big benefit would be in not having to dial an area code for every call. You are probably going to have to make some wiring changes to accommodate a third line, so why not just get a Vonage adapter and plug it in at any CAT5 location?

I'm throwing out Vonage because I like them and they have performed flawlessly for me for 4 years, but there are cheaper alternatives as well. I have a Callcentric NY line at my desk here in VA because they were giving away free NY telephone numbers. I just needed a number... any number. All my incoming calls are free and outgoing calls are 2 cents a minute. I don't make any outgoing calls, so I am billed about 2 bucks a month for 911. I just use that line to route calls from Google Voice. I have a Polycom VOIP phone just for that number. The problem with Callcentric is you can't count on them to be up. They have proven themselves this year to be highly unreliable, although I have had no recent problems. For a reliable line, I'd go with Vonage for about $32/month (edit: just checked $36.88 here in VA) including taxes. You parents might even be able to make 7 digit calls back to their home town.
brownd
join:2007-01-05
Fanwood, NJ

brownd to ajricaud

to ajricaud
I second Ooma. Fantastic service.