uniqs
share rss forum feed

stevennb
Ok, But, Thats The Last Straw.
Premium
join:2001-05-08
Wayne, NJ

OOL sent me a Arris modem...why?

I come home from work and see at my door a box from OOL. I open it up and it's Arris touchstone 3.0 Modem. I currently have a Motorola SB6120 which is working fine. I did contact OOL earlier in the week to ask about my promotion that's ending. Should I contact them and have them send out a pre paid label (unless it's already in the box) or do nothing?
--
"They moved my desk 4 times already this year and I used to be over by the window and I could see the squirrels and they were married, but then they moved my desk and they switched from the Swingline to the Boston stapler.

psilocybin

join:2007-07-19
Monroe, NY

"The Motorola SURFboard Cable Modem (SB6120) is DOCSIS and Euro-DOCSIS 3.0 certified. It introduces channel bonding of up to 4 downstream channels"

The Arris supports more than 4 downstream channels, so your modem is obsolete.

mbernste
Boosted
Premium,MVM
join:2001-06-30
Piscataway, NJ
reply to stevennb

It would be nice if they did that to replace my SBV 5120.

Ken Peterson
Premium
join:2000-12-08
kudos:3

said by mbernste:

It would be nice if they did that to replace my SBV 5120.

Maybe if you ask????

risk

join:2008-01-01
Milford, CT
reply to stevennb

I received an Arris via UPS to replace my SBV5120. Inside the box there was a prepaid label and a note saying the old modem must be returned within 30 days. I was going to the walk-in center to replace my TV boxes anyway so I returned it then.

aannoonn

@151.190.0.x
reply to mbernste

275 Centennial Ave
Piscataway, NJ 08854

Mon,Wed,Fri: 8am - 6pm
Tues,Thu: 8am - 8pm
Sat: 9am - 5pm

jcondon

join:2000-05-27
Fishkill, NY
Reviews:
·Optimum Online
reply to stevennb

We have the base service 15/2 (20/2) here at work. We have an old Docs 2.1 modem they sent us sitting in a box and a slightly less old Docs 2.1 modem / router we bought online years ago.

I wonder if they will send us a Arris Docis 3.0 too?

We are considering upgrading to 50/8 anyway.

SHoTTa35

@kfvaluation.com

Hopefully they are planning some upgrades soon as we've been pushed to 8 downstream channels so far!

Cox seems to on a 150Mbps tier now too and Time Warner pushed theirs to 100Mbps (to compete with Google Fiber). Hopefully OOL wants to push a 150/200Mbps tier as well

motorola870

join:2008-12-07
Arlington, TX
kudos:3

said by SHoTTa35 :

Hopefully they are planning some upgrades soon as we've been pushed to 8 downstream channels so far!

Cox seems to on a 150Mbps tier now too and Time Warner pushed theirs to 100Mbps (to compete with Google Fiber). Hopefully OOL wants to push a 150/200Mbps tier as well

well TWC also has a 75Mbps tier out in the wild in Dallas to compete with Uverse and get ahead of them on speed offerings but the 100Mbps tier for TWC is only limited to the Kansas City KS/MO metro area right now.

majortom1029

join:2006-10-19
Lindenhurst, NY
kudos:1
reply to SHoTTa35

I hope they introduce upload channel bonding soon .Just upgraded to boost plus from the 15/2 tier. They shipped me a new modem.

I have 8 channels downstream bonded and get 59mbps down but only 3mbps up. I have great signal levels and 0 to 10ms pings . Upload on my node is really saturated.

mbernste
Boosted
Premium,MVM
join:2001-06-30
Piscataway, NJ
reply to aannoonn

I know where my local Cablevision office is, don't insult me.

limegrass69
Here's my Posting tag

join:2008-05-28

1 recommendation

reply to stevennb

I have a SBV5120 at home and it seems fine. I'm getting full speeds. I guess I'll wait until they swap it out or I run into an issue that requires me to get a new modem. Otherwise, seems like a waste of time to worry about.

Expand your moderator at work

cablewizzard

join:2009-06-14
Hicksville, NY
kudos:1
reply to stevennb

Re: OOL sent me a Arris modem...why?

said by stevennb:

I come home from work and see at my door a box from OOL. I open it up and it's Arris touchstone 3.0 Modem. I currently have a Motorola SB6120 which is working fine. I did contact OOL earlier in the week to ask about my promotion that's ending. Should I contact them and have them send out a pre paid label (unless it's already in the box) or do nothing?

Weird - it doesn't make any business sense (4-channel modems are good enough - as 8 channels = 2 bonding groups = enables device balancing the way they balance D2.0 single-channel modems across all 8 downsteams now).

They must have detected a significant problem with your modem, if it prompted them to replace it this way. Or do you have a DOCSIS1.0 modem on your account that you forgot about , or THEY think you have it, but don't? Call to find out.