uniqs

Goophy629
Premium Member
join:2013-01-02
Oakland, CA

Goophy629

Premium Member

[DSL] Seeking possibility switching from PPPoE to DHCP

Since many of the sites I frequent daily are kind of sensitive to log in IP, and everytime for any reason the pppoe connection drops/reconnects, I get all sorts of alerts, demands for confirmation, etc(as new ip different from previous)...... so, is that possible for my account to switch to DHCP(without affecting other things like the current contract term), so I can kind of have a static IP lol. Thanks.

dslx_nick
ISP Employee
join:2011-12-24
Chatsworth, CA

dslx_nick

ISP Employee

Unfortunately, no. DHCP is not the same as a Static IP; DHCP is, like PPPoE, a Dynamic IP (meaning the IP can change, as you have noticed). Static IP is a different service with a higher cost. If you're interested in purchasing Static IP I can check if such is available in your area, but I can't switch you over without affecting anything else.

NormanS
I gave her time to steal my mind away
MVM
join:2001-02-14
San Jose, CA
TP-Link TD-8616
Asus RT-AC66U B1
Netgear FR114P

NormanS to Goophy629

MVM

to Goophy629
PPPoE is a type of authentication based on the old dial-up "Point to Point Protocol". Many telcos use it for DSL because they already have the equipment in place; but it isn't necessary for DSL service.

Some DSL providers offer DHCP service; but that is just an automatic assignment of IP addresses without the authentication.

Goophy629
Premium Member
join:2013-01-02
Oakland, CA

1 edit

Goophy629 to dslx_nick

Premium Member

to dslx_nick
Thanks for the info, Well, I didn't mean to expect a real static IP from that, but the fact is that in DHCP mode, the server would cache my MAC address for a few hours I think...so unless I "release" the IP, my router would still get the same IP within a short period of time(like power cycling)..am not hosting a server or so, ..So I just wanna see if I can swith to DHCP for a poor man's solution lol~

dslx_nick
ISP Employee
join:2011-12-24
Chatsworth, CA

dslx_nick

ISP Employee

Yeah... I checked, and unfortunately no, the equipment in your area's all set for PPPoE, not DHCP. Sorry!