uniqs
phxuser
join:2010-03-16
Scottsdale, AZ

phxuser to BryanInPHX

to BryanInPHX

Re: [AZ] Speed Increase 01/31/13

Click for full size
Kind of a boring graph but here is download data from yesterday. Graph is from Samknows Broadband tests and with Premier and an 8x4 modem its hitting 50Mbps consistently. Upload shows 10Mbps sustained as well.

firerx
join:2005-01-28
Avondale, AZ

firerx

any of you guys getting errors on QAM channel 2 in the binding causing disconnect a couple of times a day? just curious. I notice the correctable/ uncorrectables are quite high

EricNTucson
@cox.net

EricNTucson

Anon

Did anyone in Tucson get upgraded or do different city's get upgraded at different Dates?

Sanjose
@comcastbusiness.net

Sanjose to Ericx2

Anon

to Ericx2
Are you in Tucson?
Sanjose

Sanjose to EricNTucson

Anon

to EricNTucson
Upgraded my sister in Tucson 85748 to Premiere and had a new SB6141 provisioned on her account. Still no 50/10. Shaperprobe results are indicative of preferred speeds with estimated capacity at 31/6 and traffic shaped speeds of 25/5. Spoke to Tier 1 support at Cox and he stated everything from signal to account config files were correct. He did update the firmware to the Oct 2012 FW. Anyone else having post speed upgrade issues in Tucson as well?

CoxTech1
join:2002-04-25
Chesapeake, VA

CoxTech1

Sounds like she's on DOCSIS 2.0 Premier. It's a billing code on the account that needs to be corrected if that's the case.

EricNTucson
@cox.net

EricNTucson

Anon

The cox Tech just left they got an email this morning telling them the solution that coxtech1 has been telling everyone on the forums.. code adjustment.. getting new premeire speeds now in tucson.. thanks.
nox PHX
join:2009-08-21
Phoenix, AZ

nox PHX to BryanInPHX

to BryanInPHX
So my speeds are back to crap.

This is what I was getting the day of the upgrades:

CoxUltimate
@cox.net

CoxUltimate to BryanInPHX

Anon

to BryanInPHX

jeckler
join:2005-04-11
Mesa, AZ

jeckler to BryanInPHX

to BryanInPHX
Well, so far I'm on my 2nd call to Cox, talking to someone who has no idea what I'm talking about, regarding this D3 service code.
jeckler

4 edits

jeckler

Am I supposed to be talking to tech support, or billing/accounts? TS has no clue what I'm talking about.

Call 3:
The account rep started giving me attitude, saying something about service code 30161, but couldn't say what that meant. When I asked if that was D or D3, she said "yep". and started acting 'bitchy', to be honest. When I asked if she had changed it, she said "I haven't changed nuttin'". Her name was Eva.
On call number 4 now.
After 7 calls, I give up until someone can tell me who I'm supposed to call. The last person says I have Premier D and there's no such thing as Premier D3.

Chandler00AZ
@cox.net

Chandler00AZ to CoxTech1

Anon

to CoxTech1
Hi CoxTech1

I purchased an sb6141 and had it provisioned today. I can see all 8 down channels are bonded and 3 up channels are bonded. I have the Ultimate Plan and live in Chandler AZ.

My upload speeds appear to reflect the Ultimate plan (20Mb/s) but my download speeds are nowhere near max on the various speedtest servers I checked.

I called and made sure I wasn't on a promotional package and the rep said there is no "D3" for the Ultimate plan. Any ideas on why my down is so low for the 150 plan?

My signal to noise is 37dB for all 8 downstream channels. Any suggestions on why my up looks good but downstream is way off of max? It almost seems governed to around 70Mb/s which seems like the Premier but my Upstream is definitely Ultimate speeds.

lilstone87
join:2009-04-09
Chesapeake, VA

lilstone87

Everyone on the ultimate tier, and such. Should use the verizon fios speedtest site to test, as its more reliable, and can handle the faster speed's. Here's the link »speedtest.verizon.com/fios300/
m33crob
join:2013-02-06
Phoenix, AZ

m33crob to Chandler00AZ

to Chandler00AZ
FWIW I have not achieved full speeds on any speed testing sites in a very long time (probably years.) I have always found that the most accurate way to measure download speed is by using news groups. For example, I am on the Ultimate tier and after the upgrade, the highest speed test result I can get is 45 mbps. Before the network upgrades it topped out at 30 mbps. I have always, however, received full speeds and then some with usenet.

Chandler00AZ
@cox.net

Chandler00AZ

Anon

FWIW, using giganews as the usenet service, I averaged 80Mb/s for the ten minute stretch I tested it tonight.

Since this last bandwidth upgrade, Giganews had maxed my my available bandwidth at 50Mb/s now it's barely more than half of the 150 I'm supposed to get with Ultimate Cox. I don't know if there's a cap on that service but I may have reached it if there is...but before, I would agree that Giganews/usenet was a good way to test...still might be if there's an issue with my downstream.

Anonguy
@cox.net

Anonguy to Chandler00AZ

Anon

to Chandler00AZ
said by Chandler00AZ :

Hi CoxTech1

I purchased an sb6141 and had it provisioned today. I can see all 8 down channels are bonded and 3 up channels are bonded. I have the Ultimate Plan and live in Chandler AZ.

[att=1]

My upload speeds appear to reflect the Ultimate plan (20Mb/s) but my download speeds are nowhere near max on the various speedtest servers I checked.

I called and made sure I wasn't on a promotional package and the rep said there is no "D3" for the Ultimate plan. Any ideas on why my down is so low for the 150 plan?

My signal to noise is 37dB for all 8 downstream channels. Any suggestions on why my up looks good but downstream is way off of max? It almost seems governed to around 70Mb/s which seems like the Premier but my Upstream is definitely Ultimate speeds.

What kind of router do you have because it sure looks like something in your network is limited to 100mbps.

You will need a Router with a Gigabit WAN port, Gigabit LAN ports and a Computer with a Gigabit card.

Check all 3 of those and make sure everything is set to auto negotiate.

Chandler00AZ
@cox.net

Chandler00AZ

Anon

It was my router. Even though it says it has a gigabit WAN, it's obviously the problem. Here's my results without the router:

Time to research and buy a new router. Thanks Anonguy! Hope your advice helps others as well.
jeckler
Mesa, AZ

jeckler

Thanks to Coxtech1 for getting me going. I'm now at 64/22 (32/20 before) It'd be nice if the right information can be properly sent to the front line (the actual reps, not just management) so no one else has to go through this frustration just to get what they're supposed to.

Danspeed
@cox.net

Danspeed

Anon

getting 20 down 25 up on prefered with power boots (yes, upload speed is higher than download)

Download
Channel 1: 5.5 dBmV 40.4 dB
Channel 2: 5.2 dBmV 39.8 dB
Channel 3: 5.2 dBmV 39.7 dB
Channel 4: 5.9 dBmV 39.5 dB
Channel 5: 6.1 dBmV 39.4 dB
Channel 6: 6.2 dBmV 38.6 dB

Upload

Channel 1: 29.2 dBmV
Channel 2: 29.2 dBmV
Channel 3: 29.2 dBmV

why am i getting lower download speeds than upload? What should I do?

firerx
join:2005-01-28
Avondale, AZ

firerx to Chandler00AZ

to Chandler00AZ
I highly recommend the NetGear R6300.
I get my rated speed with it.

Chandler00AZ
@cox.net

Chandler00AZ

Anon

I bought the ASUS RT-AC66U router today and posted this after setting it up: (Cox 150 Mb/s Ultimate Plan) Motorola sb6141 modem

nox PHX
Phoenix, AZ

nox PHX to BryanInPHX

to BryanInPHX
Just got the 3000D from Cox to use on Premier (Just upgraded). I haven't seen speeds anywhere near 50 down, highest I have seen is 32 down and its pretty consistent on hitting 32 and staying there.

Coxtech, would this be the same issue as the other people were having? The account being DOCSIS 2 and not DOCSIS 3 (I did upgrade from a DOCSIS 2.0 modem)?

CoxTech1
join:2002-04-25
Chesapeake, VA

CoxTech1

If you just upgraded to a 3.0 modem your account is probably not correct.
nox PHX
Phoenix, AZ

2 edits

nox PHX

That's what I figured. I'll give them a call, thanks!

Edit:
Called and they updated the code. Everything is running smooth now! Man, getting a good support tech makes calling and fixing the issue a breeze.
Kholdstare
join:2004-01-31
Mesa, AZ

Kholdstare to BryanInPHX

to BryanInPHX
Annual price increase right along with this speed increase. Awesome.
jeckler
Mesa, AZ

jeckler to nox PHX

to nox PHX
said by nox PHX:

That's what I figured. I'll give them a call, thanks!

Edit:
Called and they updated the code. Everything is running smooth now! Man, getting a good support tech makes calling and fixing the issue a breeze.

Amazing. I couldn't get anyone to understand what the hell I was talking about.
How'd the call go?

Anonguy
@cox.net

Anonguy to Kholdstare

Anon

to Kholdstare
said by Kholdstare:

Annual price increase right along with this speed increase. Awesome.

At least they basically doubled the speeds for a few dollar increase. I am happy!

RUBENinAZ
@cox.net

RUBENinAZ to BryanInPHX

Anon

to BryanInPHX
On Ultimate in Phx. Cisco DPC3010

ProbablyDrew
join:2012-12-31

ProbablyDrew to BryanInPHX

to BryanInPHX
Anyone have any idea why this upgrade would have caused my router to suddenly become unreliable?

I'm on premiere (went from 22/5 to 50/10).
hardware:
WRT54GL router running tomato shibby firmware
motorola surfboard SB6120 cable modem with firmware "SB612X-1.0.5.1-SCM00-NOSH Dec 21 2010 15:52:06"

Everything has been stable for a couple years now, suddenly this last week after the upgrade the router has become unstable, you load a website, use streaming radio, whatever, and it will drop out every couple minutes for 10 seconds or so, wired and wireless.
I get that my download speed is probably high enough now to saturate the wan port on this old router but I don't understand why even low bandwidth activities like 96kbps radio streaming now drop out constantly.

I have tried upgrading the firmware on the router, clearing nvram, rebooting it, all to no effect. If I plug straight into the modem with a computer I get 64mbps down (powerboost may be part of that) and it's stable. If I go through the router I'm lucky to get 10 down. Prior to the upgrade I would get the advertised 22 or greater all the time.

Is it possible my router was on its last legs and this pushed it over the edge, or could something else be going on?
nonymous (banned)
join:2003-09-08
Glendale, AZ

4 edits

nonymous (banned)

May be time to think of getting a new router. The 50 may be pushing the routers limits and if you use any QOS or other routing features may not get the full speed.
Just did a little googling seems to confirm the WAN throughput will not do 50. Time for a new router. What I have read I may have misinterpreted just googled your router and throughput.
I have the older version of the router and it is rock solid just at the lower speed package. Also do not fully use QOS etc. as no real need with my use. If i had to really do QOS even at 25 I might think of a new router also. The firmware can not make up for the hardware. With today's speed faster hardware is needed. I am talking WLAN not LAN. Also if you are heavily into say a media server, transfering large files between computers etc. even the LAN falls short of gig speeds available now.