uniqs

swingtrader
Premium Member
join:2004-06-03
Tempe, AZ

swingtrader

Premium Member

AZ- DNS Servers Down?

A total mess in East Valley Phoenix AZ this morning. Anything requiring Cox DNS look-up is failing. Ping Plotter showing numbers on the few sites that ping but no names. I can IP address into sites that I know (have my own). Everything else is PAGE NOT FOUND.

Quick help and confirmation would be appreciated.

CoxTech1
join:2002-04-25
Chesapeake, VA

CoxTech1

Yes we are currently investigating DNS issues at this time.
eric890113
join:2012-09-24

eric890113 to swingtrader

to swingtrader
Same in LV. Using openDNS for now and pages are loading quickly again.

chandler
@cox.net

chandler to swingtrader

Anon

to swingtrader
same issue, chandler,az. i contacted cox via online chat and they said they were upgrading something and they dont have an eta. bs.

CoxTech1
Chesapeake, VA

CoxTech1

The DNS issues aren't upgrade related. We're actually investigating a customer equipment related cause but don't have more to say at the moment. You can try the following which I believe will work as an effective workaround:

»ww2.cox.com/residential/ ··· 00000000

irontoes
join:2000-03-18
Phoenix, AZ

irontoes

Just chiming in, having the same issues. 85032 zip.
kirkcarp9
join:2005-07-01
Tucson, AZ

kirkcarp9 to CoxTech1

to CoxTech1
said by CoxTech1:

The DNS issues aren't upgrade related. We're actually investigating a customer equipment related cause but don't have more to say at the moment. You can try the following which I believe will work as an effective workaround:

Same problems here in Tucson. Tried the workaround suggested by CoxTech1 but it didn't work.
bowlingblogg
join:2006-06-05
Tucson, AZ

bowlingblogg to swingtrader

to swingtrader
I am in Tucson and having the same issues. I switched to DNS servers 209.242.128.101 and 68.6.16.30 (configured in the router) and now all is well. I used the program DNSBench to find the fastest servers.

swingtrader
Premium Member
Tempe, AZ

swingtrader

Premium Member

Workaround working here but very slow look up.
nickphx
join:2009-10-29
Phoenix, AZ

nickphx to swingtrader

to swingtrader
I don't use COX's nameservers because they've always been unreliable and they redirect failed lookups to some crappy advertising page.

CoxTech1
Chesapeake, VA

CoxTech1 to swingtrader

to swingtrader
Meanwhile if anybody is using a Netgear router we're asking that you reboot it and please check for and apply any firmware updates that may be available.

swingtrader
Premium Member
Tempe, AZ

swingtrader

Premium Member

D Link router here.

LBTRS
@cox.net

LBTRS to kirkcarp9

Anon

to kirkcarp9
Same issue is 85338. I started troubleshooting on my end and decided to check here first.
ryanmcv
join:2001-10-14
Phoenix, AZ

ryanmcv to swingtrader

to swingtrader
I was having the same issues in downtown Phoenix (85004 ZIP code) before I left for work this morning. Strangely enough, my connection at work (same ZIP code) through Cox Business does not seem to be having any issues.
nox PHX
join:2009-08-21
Phoenix, AZ

nox PHX to swingtrader

to swingtrader
85043 here

Having connection issues as well. I thought it was the construction going on outside!

CoxTech1
Chesapeake, VA

CoxTech1

This *may* be related to the issues everybody is having:

»WNDR3700v1/AV 1.0.16.98-dns BETA RELEASED!! FIXES DNS BUG!!

lowkeyinaz
@cox.net

lowkeyinaz

Anon

Down in Glendale, AZ as well. Moto SBG surfboard modem/router, requires Cox to update from their end.

CoxTech1
Chesapeake, VA

CoxTech1

Motorola isn't impacted except for experiencing symptoms of the problem.

lowkeyinaz
@myvzw.com

lowkeyinaz

Anon

That isn't the case...I've tried rebooting my Moto Surfboard twice this morning, still same DNS issue on all devices. Moto is NOT in the clear.

CoxTech1
Chesapeake, VA

CoxTech1

That's what I was trying to explain. Since you're using Motorola you'll only experience the symptoms of the problem which will be DNS failures. So far it appears to be only certain Netgear firmwares that are contributing to the problem.

swingtrader
Premium Member
Tempe, AZ

swingtrader

Premium Member

I disagree. As I said, I have a D Link router, NOT a Netgear and am the OP that started this thread.

CoxTech1
Chesapeake, VA

CoxTech1

Yes, since you have D-Link you wouldn't need to do the fix either. As those that need to do the fix do so and/or are removed from the network the DNS issues will get better for everybody else.

swingtrader
Premium Member
Tempe, AZ

swingtrader

Premium Member

gotcha. very interesting problem.

irontoes
join:2000-03-18
Phoenix, AZ

irontoes to swingtrader

to swingtrader
As of 11am local time here, things seem to be back to normal now.

Edit- Spoke too soon, mostly back to normal, a few stragglers still slow loading, or missing images/layout/etc..
badgagt
join:2007-07-15
Fort Campbell, KY

badgagt to swingtrader

to swingtrader
8.8.8.8 and 8.8.4.4 if those go down it's because god decides no more internet.

CoxTech1
Chesapeake, VA

CoxTech1 to irontoes

to irontoes
We think we have a grasp on the root cause of the issue at this time. Getting those customers fixed so it doesn't happen again however is something we're still trying to work out.

LBTRS
@cox.net

LBTRS to CoxTech1

Anon

to CoxTech1
I switched to that firmware over a year ago on my netgear because I was having dns issues personally. This problem, for everyone, just started today and there are not anymore version 1 or 2's of that netgear router being sold for over a year so why would this cause this now all of a sudden?

Also, I'm sure there are hundreds or thousands of people that have that router and I'm sure only a handful come to this forum so how would they know to upload that firmware anytime soon so it fixes it for the rest of us?
jsmiddleton4
join:2003-11-13
Glendale, AZ

jsmiddleton4 to swingtrader

to swingtrader
I was down with Cisco modem in Peoria/Glendale. Put Google's DNS servers in my Asus router and the problem went away.

I've used non-COX DNS servers before but had returned to the default ones for Cox so I knew what to do.

Hardly seems like an installed equipment issue on the user side.

CoxTech1
Chesapeake, VA

CoxTech1

The issue gets quite complicated but there appears to be an issue with a particular firmware generating lots of traffic.
CoxTech1

CoxTech1 to jsmiddleton4

to jsmiddleton4
Here's the official word FYI