I Need A Remedy For What's Ailing Me.
Premium,VIP
join:2001-04-19
1970 442 W30
kudos:18
reply to Juggernaut

Re: Security Flaws in Universal Plug-n-Play: Unplug, Don't Play

said by Juggernaut:

UPnP has been disabled for years in services.msc. I've never had a problem with a device failing to work.

Of course not as you are confusing Hardware PnP (Plug aNd Play) with UPnP (Universal Plug aNd Play) and they are two completely different services.

»www.pcmag.com/encyclopedia_term/···4,00.asp
quote:
UPnP

(Universal Plug aNd Play) A family of protocols from the UPnP Forum (www.upnp.org) for automatically configuring devices, discovering services and providing peer-to-peer data transfer over an IP network. Introduced in 1999, UPnP is not PnP (Plug and Play). They are related in concept only as they both provide automatic configuration (see Plug and Play).
--
What’s the point of owning a supercar if you can’t scare yourself stupid from time to time?

Juggernaut
Irreverent or irrelevant?
Premium
join:2006-09-05
Kelowna, BC
kudos:2

said by Doctor Olds:

Of course not as you are confusing Hardware PnP (Plug aNd Play) with UPnP (Universal Plug aNd Play) and they are two completely different services.

Missed your reply, Doc. Sorry.

Have a look: About »Re: Security Flaws in Universal Plug-n-Play: Unplug, Don't Play

Silijaline also posted the same image. It is UPnP in services.msc.
--
"I fear the day that technology will surpass our human interaction. The world will have a generation of idiots." ~ Albert Einstein

Doctor Olds
I Need A Remedy For What's Ailing Me.
Premium,VIP
join:2001-04-19
1970 442 W30
kudos:18

1 edit

said by Juggernaut:

said by Doctor Olds:

Missed your reply, Doc. Sorry.

Have a look: About »Re: Security Flaws in Universal Plug-n-Play: Unplug, Don't Play

Silijaline also posted the same image. It is UPnP in services.msc.

Of course it is, I was referring to your statement that no hardware stopped working or didn't function when you disabled UPnP, which isn't UPnP or SSDP (both are actually used in UPnP) functional purpose, but it is Hardware PnP that handles the hardware in your PC so that's why no devices stopped working in or connected to your PC after shutting off/stopping/disabling UPnP.

said by Juggernaut:

UPnP has been disabled for years in services.msc. I've never had a problem with a device failing to work.

--
What’s the point of owning a supercar if you can’t scare yourself stupid from time to time?