uniqs
share rss forum feed

prairiesky

join:2008-12-08
canada
kudos:2
reply to amszete

Re: Fixed Wireless

there are other small fixed wireless providers using different gear out there. Lots have much better latency than what was quoted above. Search for the term "WISP".... Just keep in mind that the quality isn't the same in all of them, some have better reputations than others and provide better service.

TeleServPro
Premium
join:2009-08-24
reply to amszete

- Is it reliable and what is typically involved in setup
Yes, depending on your location. A fixed wireless router is required. Setup is similar to DSL/Cable.
- Anyone in the forum currently uses this and how it stacks up against Mobile Broadband and DSL
Higher quality than Mobile Broadband, but DSL/Cable are inherently more stable as they are wired VS. most any type of wireless.
- What is the typical bandwidth / latency of such technology
Ex. 4G latency averages 100ms roundtrip, 3G latency averages 250-350 ms roundtrip.
- Can you use MS Lync, play first person shooters, stream Netflix, etc.
Again, location location.
- If anyone lives close to Mineral, VA are there any providers?
Yes.

In my opinion 3G/4G fixed wireless is a better option for redundancy/fail-over on an existing wired connection, primarily because of bandwidth usage caps. However, if there's nothing else available, fixed wireless is usually less costly than a T1. Although T1s offer truly unlimited bandwidth and superior quality.

If you happen to be in an area where line-of-sight wireless is available, that is a completely viable option as your single Internet connection (with perhaps a low cost wired line for redundancy).

But those are my assessments for a business. For residential, you're probably looking for bottom line low cost options..?

amszete

join:2013-01-28

So I read in another thread that some providers may offer 'Fixed Wireless'. I am interested to know if:

- Is it reliable and what is typically involved in setup
- Anyone in the forum currently uses this and how it stacks up against Mobile Broadband and DSL
- What is the typical bandwidth / latency of such technology
- Can you use MS Lync, play first person shooters, stream Netflix, etc.
- If anyone lives close to Mineral, VA are there any providers?