join:2002-08-06
Boothbay, ME
kudos:2
Reviews:
·Time Warner Cable

1 edit

6 recommendations

I have an interview!

Some of you guys know that I have only worked seasonally during the late Spring into early Fall. And unemployed the rest of the time.

In the past, I have been able to work a lot of overtime, thus boosting my income. And in the process, save money for the winter and able to collect a decent unemployment check. This didn't happen last yea. I bairly broke 40 hours a week, thus my income was way down, saved ZERO, and my unemployment is way off normal. (It's based on income) This has really caused a financial disaster in my home, but I have been limping along.

However, the unemployment is nearly exhausted. I have about 3 weeks left. After that, I have ZERO income until mid May.

Also, as most of you know. My work has been solely in restaurant kitchens. I really don't have any other history.. or talent to try making a try at something else.

Two weeks ago, there was a posting in the paper for a school custodian. Initially I was telling myself there was no way I could do that. I don't have the know how, or work history to even try something like this. I almost didn't even try applying to this. However, as I thought about it; I figured what the hell. I am sure there are many other aspects involved, but it can't be too much different then maintaing a house. Most of which I did myself installing water heaters, fixing leaked, shoveling snow, cutting grass, painting, some wood repair.... So I applied. I sent in my resume, full of restaurant work an nothing custodial at all. I included in notes, about my work history and it showing my dedication for years at various places. I also mentioned it being out of my normal work in the past, but that I believed I could do this and included my experiences maintaining my house.

I never for a moment thought I'd even get to an interview process, but I got a call to set one up. I am being interviewed for the position on Monday. Only SIX people made the cut to the interview process. This is way out of my comfort zone, and something I nearly blew off as no way I can do this. But here I am, I made the cut.

I must have said something or they saw something in my application that intrigued them.

I am pretty exited.

And nervous!

squirt
cacatne alces in silvis?
Premium,MVM
join:2004-04-27
Out Grazing
kudos:5

Good luck! It sounds like you do have the skill set that they're looking fo!

mattmag
Premium,ExMod 2000-03
join:2000-04-09
NW Illinois
kudos:3

1 recommendation

reply to Dominokat

I can tell you, I hear it more and more these days that employers could actually care less about a potential employee's experience or training, but rather they focus on what they would perceive to be a *quality employee* which your resume' would clearly display, and then train you to what their needs and standards are.

suprleg
Abracadabra
Premium
join:2004-05-06
Cypress, CA
kudos:4

1 recommendation

reply to Dominokat

Good luck, kat! I applaud your efforts in heading off into something unknown, takes a lot of guts, but the rewards whether you get the job or not will be worth the risk.

rusdi
American V
Premium,MVM
join:2001-04-28
Flippin, AR

2 recommendations

reply to Dominokat

Good luck Kat!!

As Matt said, and I concur. I have interviewed & hired, (and fired) a magnitude of personnel over the years, and I can tell you during an interview, I was more interested in the potential employee's:

1) Attitude. (Most important).
2) Eye contact, and posture, (I know that sounds silly, but it's a trait I feel displays an earnest desire for the job).
3) Enthusiasm for learning the job.

Experience, while indeed a factor, is secondary to your "want" for the job.

I always figure someone can be trained for a job, and more likely will be a worker I want to keep, if they show a genuine desire, and enthusiasm!

PeteC2
Got Mouse?
Premium,MVM
join:2002-01-20
Bristol, CT
kudos:6
Reviews:
·Comcast
reply to Dominokat

Good luck! Sure, you can do this...after all, you are smarter than the average tabby, right?

Looks like after 37 straight years of employment, I will be exploring the wonders of the unemployment system.
--
Deeds, not words

Dominokat
"Hi"
Premium
Boothbay, ME
Reviews:
·Time Warner Cable

1 edit

2 recommendations

Thanks PeteC2 See Profile

Good luck to the BOTH of us!

Thanks to you all really. This is way out of my comfort zone. But I have a pretty good feeling about it. Four good signs I see; 1) I sent in the application despite it being irrelevant to my work history. I NEVER do that. 2) They inquired my sister about me. 3) I missed the initial call and the next morning, as I was literally picking up my phone to call them back, they called me AGAIN to see if I was still interested, and 4) I made the cut to even get interviewed.

All those, I hope, is an omen for this.

lonnyb
Blessed Beyond Belief
Premium
join:2004-01-25
Dayton, OH
reply to Dominokat

Outstanding! Often times, school systems have a very good benefit package.
--
I know when to fold 'em *ALL THE TIME!*

santy
Don't Follow Me, I'M Lost Too
Premium,MVM
join:2001-06-10
Wilmington, IL
kudos:1

1 recommendation

reply to Dominokat

Good luck Kat. I know you'll do really good.

PeteC2
Got Mouse?
Premium,MVM
Bristol, CT
Reviews:
·Comcast
reply to Dominokat

said by Dominokat:

Thanks PeteC2 See Profile

Good luck to the BOTH of us!

We'll both do just fine DK. I have been around far too long to get overly thrown by this...just a little out of my comfort zone, but what the heck.

Just put 'yer best paw forward and I bet that they will make an offer...
--
Deeds, not words

signmeuptoo
Bless you Howie
Premium
join:2001-11-22
NanoParticle

1 recommendation

reply to Dominokat

kat, I've been low key about where and what I do work wise, partly because of some citizens at DSLR. Suffice it to say, the job I do is way out of my comfort zone. 11 months ago I had applied for a seasonal job and to my shock, I was hired ON THE SPOT. But sadly, it didn't develop into permanency (business was slow for one thing), but I got rave reviews. I even took some risks at the job looking out for my employer. It is a good company as companies go.

Well, early summer and I was unemployed again, but I didn't waste time, I immediately hit the ground running hunting for work. It was less than a month and I got 2 places wanting to hire me. Much to my shock. Work out of my comfort zone for sure, but I have some experience remotely related.

The agency that works with me says I'm one of the people with the best attitude and willingness that they work with. Sadly, my anxiety and fear haunts me, but I just bear down and keep going. I nearly passed out a few days ago due to anxiety, and at the seasonal job I literally did pass out from it. But thankfully, my other shortcomings aren't troubling me as they used to.

So school, at the age of 54, is now my top concern now. I believe that the creator is working to lay a path for me to follow.

It's tough for us old timers, but it seems that companies are starting to make the turn around the corner about employing older workers. They want to see the right energy and attitude, and folks like you guys have it, just show them, and fear not, even us old timers can learn...
--
Join Teams Helix and Discovery. Rest in Peace, Leonard David Smith, my best friend, you are missed badly! Rest in peace, Pop, glad our last years were good. Please pray for Colin, he has ependymoma, a brain cancer, donate to a children's Hospital.

Dominokat
"Hi"
Premium
Boothbay, ME
Reviews:
·Time Warner Cable

Among the fact that I have always worked in restarunt kitchens and no experince with anything else. Being "old" was another worry for me. I was (am) afraid that no one would want to hire and train an "older" person over a younger.
But now I have hope realize this has been wrong of me. If anything, it gave me better courage to keep trying!

signmeuptoo
Bless you Howie
Premium
join:2001-11-22
NanoParticle

I know what you are saying, it's the same for me. Why would anyone want tired ass old me? But that's the thing, we have value, I am starting to learn that.

They will be glad to have you, you WANT to work, you're less likely to complain about petty things, you'll be willing to learn.

This will be good for you.

I work short shifts up to 7 hours, but after doing it, I feel so good, I feel like I have purpose. Sure, I dread it when I go in, but by the time I go home (that can take ~hours~), I feel good.

I'm also on a diet of sorts (I eat salad for my late lunches now), and eat lighter at dinner time.

God bless you, kat, you're in for an enriching experience.
--
Join Teams Helix and Discovery. Rest in Peace, Leonard David Smith, my best friend, you are missed badly! Rest in peace, Pop, glad our last years were good. Please pray for Colin, he has ependymoma, a brain cancer, donate to a children's Hospital.

Dominokat
"Hi"
Premium
Boothbay, ME
reply to Dominokat

I probably don't need to say how nervous I am.

1) It is out of my normal experience.
2) This would be a perfect YEAR ROUND job (with bennifets!)
3) I really WANT this job.

No pressure at all! (Sarcasm)

PeteC2
Got Mouse?
Premium,MVM
Bristol, CT
Reviews:
·Comcast

1 recommendation

said by Dominokat:

2) This would be a perfect YEAR ROUND job (with bennifets!)

Hopefully, not like "friends with benefits???"

Talk about friendly work-places!
--
Deeds, not words

Dominokat
"Hi"
Premium
Boothbay, ME

If that is part of it, who am I to complain??? It comes as a bonus.

Dominokat
"Hi"
Premium
Boothbay, ME
reply to Dominokat

My big day is tomorrow! I am very nervous.

squirt
cacatne alces in silvis?
Premium,MVM
join:2004-04-27
Out Grazing

Nerves on interview day are natural. Good luck!

ropeguru
Premium
join:2001-01-25
Mechanicsville, VA
reply to Dominokat

So how did it go? Inquiring minds want to know.

Dominokat
"Hi"
Premium
Boothbay, ME
Reviews:
·Time Warner Cable
reply to Dominokat

I was tagged team by three people in the interview. I don't interview well anyway because I get nervous, and to have three people interviewing made it worse. I did the best I could but I don't feel like I did well at all.
It will be about a week before I know one way or the other. They had one more interview, and then check references and a background check before they make a final decision.

PeteC2
Got Mouse?
Premium,MVM
Bristol, CT
Reviews:
·Comcast

1 recommendation

Well, you probably did a lot better than you think.

Having several folks involved in the interview is a bit unconventional (and unprofessional) to be sure.

Keep in mind though that was what other aspirants also had to deal with.
--
Deeds, not words

usa2k
Blessed
Premium,MVM
join:2003-01-26
Redford, MI
Reviews:
·WOW Internet and..

1 recommendation

reply to Dominokat

If you have a great reference, you might have them call to see if they can be of any help with questions they have. Just a thought. Another technique with a long wait, is to sent a thank you note, and let them know you are excited about this opportunity.

My daughter is on a job quest too. She's recently certified in Medical Billing. Its a growing area, but Michigan University where she did an externship, the lady said she would have hired Cassandra right away if they didn't have a hiring freeze at the moment.

Hoping the best for you!
--

Jim, VoIP 12/2002, VOIPo 2/2007
FAH-Tool~Pets~Artist-247

rusdi
American V
Premium,MVM
Flippin, AR

1 recommendation

reply to Dominokat

said by Dominokat:

I was tagged team by three people in the interview. I don't interview well anyway because I get nervous, and to have three people interviewing made it worse. I did the best I could but I don't feel like I did well at all.
It will be about a week before I know one way or the other. They had one more interview, and then check references and a background check before they make a final decision.

Don't worry!
This "tag teaming" is a technique I have used before. It's called, "a board" interview, and it's main goal is to determine how well you react under pressure, and believe me, you probably did better than you think!

I'll go out on a limb and say, CONGRATS!

Dominokat
"Hi"
Premium
Boothbay, ME
reply to Dominokat

Thanks!

I appreciate the optimism.

Right now it wait and see. I'll let you know what I find out in about a week or so.

ropeguru
Premium
join:2001-01-25
Mechanicsville, VA
reply to rusdi

Agreed.. My last interview had 5 people in it. Each asking questions in different areas. So it is certainly not uncommon.

I, like others, think you probably did a lot better than what you think you did.

Dominokat
"Hi"
Premium
Boothbay, ME
reply to Dominokat

I received a letter in the mail.

I did NOT get the job.

I didn't think I did well in the interview, so this is of no surprise.

mattmag
Premium,ExMod 2000-03
join:2000-04-09
NW Illinois

Well bummer.....

I always fall back on the perpetual wisdom that says "All things happen for a reason", so obviously this wasn't the correct opportunity for the time.

Its still out there, and it will happen.

Dominokat
"Hi"
Premium
Boothbay, ME
reply to Dominokat

Ah well. I was hopeful until the interview.
Maybe next time.

PeteC2
Got Mouse?
Premium,MVM
Bristol, CT
Reviews:
·Comcast

said by Dominokat:

Ah well. I was hopeful until the interview.
Maybe next time.

Well, at least it was good practice. Before the last job that I interviewed for, after 20 years in the Army, I deliberately interviewed for 2 lesser opportunities, partially as potential back up plans the previous week. More specifically though, I wanted a couple of interviews under my belt to relax me and re-hone my interviewing skills.

In fact, being recently layed off, I am at least glad that I had to interview for my last contractor last July. At least I retain some recent interview experience, since my last job interview was 12 years before that.

Most of us interview only infrequently, and like anything else "ring-rust" can be a bear!

I bet that if you go to a similar process in the near future, you will interview much better.

I still maintain however that for the type of position that you applied for, a "tag-team" interview was inappropriate.

You only would have had one specific supervisor (one would hope!). The interview should have been held by either that direct supervisor, or if there is a Human Resources Manager, that person. In fact, I suspect that if they thought a "group interview" was a good idea, then perhaps this was not destined to be as good a position as you might have hoped.

Had I walked into such an interview, my first question would be to whom am I responding? If an adequate response was not forthcoming, I would have politely excused myself and looked elsewhere.
--
Deeds, not words

rusdi
American V
Premium,MVM
Flippin, AR
reply to Dominokat

Oh well.........you gained a little experience with interviewing and next time, no doubt, you WILL do better!!