Search similar:

uniqs
ez2cy
join:2008-03-05

1 edit

ez2cy

Magicjack connection - people hearing me

Don't mean to hijack, sorry.

I have MJ and have problems sometimes with connections, ie people hearing me. MJ support always does the same thing, unistall and re install, will fix problem, NOT

I have the MJ plugged straight into my Computer, (it's not MJ plus). I also have a wireless router that my DSL comes into and goes to the computer from there.

Should I plug my MJ in the wireless router? Would that help connection? Sorry if a stupid question, not all that great on puter.

Thanks in advance.

ImpldConsent
Scouts Out
Premium Member
join:2001-03-04
North Port, FL
·Comcast XFINITY

ImpldConsent

Premium Member

Re: Magicjack connection

said by ez2cy:

I have the MJ plugged straight into my Computer, (it's not MJ plus). I also have a wireless router that my DSL comes into and goes to the computer from there.

Should I plug my MJ in the wireless router? Would that help connection?

1: it's not a MJ+ so you do not have the option directly plugging it into the wireless router.
2: since it's not MJ+, you have not choice but to plug it into your PC.
3: wireless - are you accessing the internet through your wireless connection on the same computer that you have MJ plugged into? If so, can you plug that same computer directly into the router via Cat(5/5e/6) cable and disable your wireless? See if that clears up the connection issue.

I have played MJ both ways - plugged into PC and MJ+ direct to the router. "MY" experience is that my PC being connected to wireless was not as stable with MJ as being connected hard-wired. I have yet to experience an issue with MJ+ connected directly to the router.
ez2cy

ez2cy

Yes I can connect as you said. However, hard to do so that other people in the house can access the web as well.

I was thinking today (sorry, again not great with computers), is it possible to get a "splitter"? I was thinking if I could have one, I could run the ethernet cable and split it, one to my tower and one to my router, that way my puter would be hard wired all the time.

Would also help keeping the kids off computer after bed time, just unplug the wireless and mine would still work.

Possibe? If so, might help my connection.

Thank you for your response and help.

ImpldConsent
Scouts Out
Premium Member
join:2001-03-04
North Port, FL
·Comcast XFINITY

ImpldConsent

Premium Member

What you are calling a "splitter" is best referred to as a "Switch" (switch/YES - hub/NO). Plenty of available options. Try to get from a reputable vendor (Linksys/Cisco/Netgear...). After a quick search, this is a decent option: NETGEAR 5 Port Gigabit Desktop Switch (GS605AV) at a good price.
Absolutely possible - be careful - you just might love this stuff.
ez2cy

ez2cy

ok...not what I was really thinking of but I'll have a look in town when I go.

Thanks for your help.
Expand your moderator at work

Anon in SJ
@comcast.net

Anon in SJ to ez2cy

Anon

to ez2cy

Re: Magicjack connection

Your magicJack softphone, the little window that shows a keypad and mJ ads, has a button called Menu. Click that to see a way to adjust volume, one for your ear and one for your microphone. Try sliding the mic volume all the way up.