Search similar:

uniqs

SysOp
join:2001-04-18
Atlanta, GA

4 edits

SysOp

Let me say thank you to América Móvil

Thank you América Móvil for offering me talk, text and web for $45 a month with no contract.

América Móvil is a Mexican telecommunication company headquartered in Mexico City, Mexico. It is the third largest mobile network operator in terms of equity subscribers and one of the largest corporations in the world.

6mbps is enough bandwidth for a single user on a mobile phone. 100ms is acceptable latency considering the distance to the tower. $45 is a great value.

Estimated?
$20 Voice
$20 2 gb data
$5 MMS/SMS

MovieLover76
join:2009-09-11
Cherry Hill, NJ
(Software) pfSense
Asus RT-AC68
Asus RT-AC66

2 edits

MovieLover76

Americans could save a lot of money if they'd consider prepaid. Their are many options, enough to fit most users needs.
With prepaim byod sim plans, you can have the latest and greatest gadgets while paying half what post-paid users on AT&T or Verizon pays.

Myself I pay $49 for unlimited talk, text and 4GB of HSPA+ data
I get twice the data I used to get on Verizon LTE, at half the price and no worries about overages, I'm just throttled if I use more than 4GB.

Even if you considered my bill entirely data costs, I'm paying 12.25 / GB. I pay Europe and Asia Pacific prices

I think the major barrier to prepaid is knowledge, and lack of standards in the US.

Without knowing what your doing, the phones in the US can be confusing. GSM phones work on AT&T and T-mobile, but you might get stuck on edge if you don't know what bands to look for, and CDMA has carrier lock-ins virtually unbreakable. Though I know their are a few ways around it with certain mvno's and carrier's and now we have different LTE bands.
LTE isn't available on mvno's yet, but one day it will.
and sim locks.

If you can't figure out all of this, or at least know someone who can, your stuck with mostly older inferior phones.

fifty nine
join:2002-09-25
Sussex, NJ

fifty nine

Most people would rather pay $200 for an iPhone or Android and pay $100/month on a 2 year contract, rather than buy the device for $700 and pay half the monthly in prepaid.

GSM phones work on AT&T and T-Mobile but the 3G bands are different. T-Mobile still uses AWS for the most part while the other carriers do not. So if you're switching to/from T-Mobile you'll end up buying a new phone if you need 3G (or 4G).

SysOp
join:2001-04-18
Atlanta, GA

SysOp

Re: Let me say thank you to América Móvil

I doubt that. If we are speaking for most people then most people want a free iphone or idroid and a lower monthly fee. The rest dont care what it cost upfront or monthly and are not the ones bitching. they are too dumb and high to even care about doing the math. shutup and take my money! So i can tell everyone about my new phone already! And post speedtest! Look i have LTE!

Btw, unlocked pentiband smartphones are cheap and widely avail.