Search similar:

uniqs
mlord
join:2006-11-05
Kanata, ON

mlord

First morning of service with Start.ca

Looking good, Rocca.
It's already nice to be with a smaller ISP again.

Cheers
Mark

rocca
Start.ca
Premium Member
join:2008-11-16
London, ON

rocca

Premium Member

Welcome aboard!

dillyhammer
START me up
Premium Member
join:2010-01-09
Scarborough, ON

dillyhammer to mlord

Premium Member

to mlord
Call in, dial an extension, human being answers.
Fair prices for decent service.

It's like the old days eh?

Mike

jmck
formerly 'shaded'
join:2010-10-02
Ottawa, ON

jmck to mlord

to mlord
you moved from TSI right? any idea how long it took for the switch to happen and how long you had no service? my switch date is tomorrow (Friday) and hoping I don't have to wait until the following midnight.
mlord
Kanata, ON

mlord

said by jmck:

you moved from TSI right? any idea how long it took for the switch to happen and how long you had no service? my switch date is tomorrow (Friday) and hoping I don't have to wait until the following midnight.

I have two modems, so there's a day of overlap in service here (both modems on the same cable line, using a 1:2 splitter). The Teksavvy modem is still in use separately, downloading some BIG stuff.

From what I've heard, the switchover in a single modem situation normally takes less than an hour. Good luck with that, and let us know how it works out there!
Expand your moderator at work

jmck
formerly 'shaded'
join:2010-10-02
Ottawa, ON

jmck to mlord

to mlord

Re: First morning of service with Start.ca

well my termination/start date was Feb 1st, i sort of expected my TSI to stop working at around midnight once the 1st started, but so far at 10am it's still connecting to TSI's DHCP and getting an IP from them (kept modem off for 20 secs).
mlord
Kanata, ON

mlord

My Teksavvy modem continued working all evening yesterday. I just unplugged it this morning (dunno if it was still active or not). But in your case, I think the thing to expect is that it will go dead at some point, then come alive again on Start.ca. Just not sure when that happens, since we did it differently here (two modems).
bt
join:2009-02-26
canada

bt to jmck

to jmck
said by jmck:

well my termination/start date was Feb 1st, i sort of expected my TSI to stop working at around midnight once the 1st started, but so far at 10am it's still connecting to TSI's DHCP and getting an IP from them (kept modem off for 20 secs).

With switching from Rogers, it worked for the full day of the switch with Rogers for me actually cutting off sometime in the early hours of the next day, and went to Start overnight.

merc782
join:2012-11-19
Ottawa

merc782 to rocca

to rocca
I would like to jump ship for the new upload speeds. but my concern is on the usage limit. i average around 150 to 200gig a month. I know that there is no official usage tracking implemented on Red yet, but will i be penalized in anyway if i cross 150gb.

rocca
Start.ca
Premium Member
London, ON

rocca

Premium Member

We have a 250GB plan too, 35/3.

merc782
join:2012-11-19
Ottawa

merc782

sorry, i am cheap i am on 18mbps/300gb/$39.95 plan. No budget to spend more than that
mlord
Kanata, ON

mlord

Yeah, the usage limits are a real downside with Start.ca -- everything else is great. It'd be nice to have a few more options for usage.

Cheers

abitbent
join:2004-04-23
Brantford, ON

1 edit

abitbent

said by mlord:

Yeah, the usage limits are a real downside with Start.ca -- everything else is great. It'd be nice to have a few more options for usage.

Cheers

I agree with usage being an issue mlord but it's funny when you take your comment and put it into perspective. If it's a real downside of Start.ca (which is handcuffed because of the wholesale rate - ahem CRTC) what is the word we'd use to describe the caps used by Rogers? LOL
mlord
Kanata, ON

mlord

Yeah, exactly.
Big.R. has horrible limits, Teksavvy offers NO limits, and Start.ca is in the middle.

rocca
Start.ca
Premium Member
London, ON

rocca

Premium Member

If we were on the old system without outrageous capacity costs then we'd probably have unlimited too.
mlord
Kanata, ON

mlord

No doubt!

But even with the overpriced agg-POI you could still offer unlimited during off-peak periods. I'd definitely shift data transfers here to take advantage of that.

Cheers!
daeron
join:2012-05-11
Ottawa

daeron

I think Rocca had mentioned before that their pricing has already taken into account off peak usage. I'm sure he'll correct me if I'm wrong though

JC_
Premium Member
join:2010-10-19
Nepean, ON

JC_ to mlord

Premium Member

to mlord
said by mlord:

No doubt!

But even with the overpriced agg-POI you could still offer unlimited during off-peak periods. I'd definitely shift data transfers here to take advantage of that.

Cheers!

I suggested the same thing to rocca about a week ago as the off peak would be extremely beneficial for me as well. See »Re: New customer, question about account usage.
las3
join:2013-02-09

las3

My start activation date was yesterday, but I still had teksavvy yestd

Today morning Internet was down for 3-4 hours then it started working with Start
vincom
join:2009-03-06
Bolton, ON

vincom to JC_

to JC_
said by JC_:

said by mlord:

No doubt!

Cheers!

I suggested the same thing to rocca about a week ago as the off peak would be extremely beneficial for me as well. See »Re: New customer, question about account usage.

me 2, im waiting to see what the new aggregate Pricing would be by the end of the month, plus rogers might change the usage limits, actually they have according to redflag, it looks like things might get interesting
mikee
join:2012-12-21
Gloucester, ON

mikee

Do you know if they will drop or raise the usage limit? If you're already on lets say 25/2 150gb cap and they make the change would everyone on 25/2 currently just be grand fathered and pay the same price if they were to drop the cap to lets say 100gb? Kind of unfair if you're buying something and it changes on you........
mlord
Kanata, ON

mlord

I don't think Rocca even knows. It all depends upon what happens to the cost structure when the CRTC finally (re-)rules on it all.

Thus far, I'm really enjoying the 45/4 plan from Start.ca. No "review" from me yet, because it's only been a couple of weeks, and I'm waiting for a full billing cycle to pass first. But thus far, things are really good, and the staff are at least as good as Teksavvy used to be about 5 years ago (a major compliment!).

In the end though, after all of the ISPs are 100% on the agg-POI scheme, I'll be looking for the ISP who offers the largest download allowance. That's currently my only beef with Start.ca, and we're hoping that Rocca will do something about that in the next month or two.

Cheers

DrugTito
join:2013-01-17
canada

DrugTito

said by mlord:

In the end though, after all of the ISPs are 100% on the agg-POI scheme, I'll be looking for the ISP who offers the largest download allowance. That's currently my only beef with Start.ca, and we're hoping that Rocca will do something about that in the next month or two.

I will be doing the same + I hope that Start will increase bw allowance.
Guru
join:2008-10-01

Guru

said by DrugTito:

said by mlord:

I will be doing the same + I hope that Start will increase bw allowance.

+1

rocca
Start.ca
Premium Member
London, ON

rocca to mlord

Premium Member

to mlord
said by mlord:

hoping that Rocca will do something about that in the next month or two.

Me too! ...now if just the CRTC would co-operate we'll be all set.
mikee
Gloucester, ON

mikee

So it's not even possible to know that people on your current plans will be grandfathered or not? For the same price etc that they're currently on now? Because if things went for the worse I would want to subscribe now incase something bad we're to happen like drop the cap by 50gb or something.

rocca
Start.ca
Premium Member
London, ON

rocca

Premium Member

It'd be hard to imagine things getting worse but I can't say 100% that will not be the case.
mikee
Gloucester, ON

mikee

Okay. Well i'm going to be joining start today most likely, i'm not very hardcore bandwidth user probably about 30-40gb my self and my brother uses like 50gb per month so it will be great to have less congestion and higher speeds. :]
sssscary
join:2007-10-23
Brockville, ON

sssscary to mlord

to mlord
Me too, I am waiting patiently for the decision so I can upgrade to the advanced speed and give Start more of my money
I just can't risk the drop in bandwidth, i already am cutting it close sometimes.