share rss forum feed

Simba7
I Void Warranties

join:2003-03-24
Billings, MT
reply to skeechan

Re: Pocket change for the 2nd run Samsung

said by skeechan:

I was at the mercy of the device maker for OS upgrades which for some devices like my Galaxy S WiFi NEVER came. You got 2.2 and were done. I got 2.3 installed but not through any official update. Samsung abandoned the device the day it came out...$220 and you get none of the new goodies.

Um.. You really should look at Cyanogenmod.
said by skeechan:

Honeycomb...yeah right.

Um.. Honeycomb was for tablets, not phones.
said by skeechan:

Meanwhile my iOS devices from that same era run the latest OS version; fully supported.

Bull. I have an iPod Touch 2nd Gen and I can't run the latest OS, not to mention quite a few apps stopped supporting anything less than iOS 4.3 (mine's running 4.2.1). It's almost useless except for Pandora and Slacker. Can't run Rdio on it.
--
Bresnan 30M/5M | CenturyLink 5M/896K
MyWS[PnmIIX3@3.2G,8G RAM,500G+1.5T+2T HDDs,Win7]
WifeWS[A64@2G,2G RAM,120G HDD,Win7]
Router[2xP3@1G,2G RAM,18G HDD,Allied Telesyn AT2560FX,2xDigital DE504,Sun X1034A,2xSun X4444A,SMC 8432BTA,Gentoo]

skeechan
Ai Otsukaholic
Premium
join:2012-01-26
AA169|170
kudos:2
Reviews:
·Clear Wireless
·Cox HSI
·Verizon FiOS

1 edit
Oh, I tried lots of custom firmware but they were all super buggy or plain broke stuff. When I had tried CM9, it would break lots of stuff like BT, the camera and even rotation. Even now, while CM9 has progressed, it is still a bug filled and broken feature mess, making ICS still unusable on the player. It's moot now as I have ditched my Galaxy WiFi 5.0.

At the time, c.2011, all the talk was about HC coming on new HTC handsets like the Pyramid/Sensation (they ended up shipping with GB I think) so I was hoping to see it on my player...then later ICS also not available on the player. And it isn't like it can't run. HTC's new budget handset, I think it's the Desire or something is single core, same 800 x 400 resolution, 1/2GB of RAM...will be running ICS.

The 2nd Gen touch is 3-4 years old, originally released back in 2008. The Galaxy S WiFi and Galaxy Player are still currently shipping models and still aren't shipping with ICS. If I had known that Samsung was never going to update the player I wouldn't have bought it.

Simba7
I Void Warranties

join:2003-03-24
Billings, MT
Never had many issues with CM9. Of course, I ran the latest build. CM10 gave me a few issues initially, but the 20121215 build was the best. CM10.1 has been a bit sluggish, but I'll give it more time to mature before I switch over.

I've been eyeballing the Galaxy Player 5.0 and been thinking of grabbing one. I'll keep an eye on xda-developers to see if anyone is building a ROM for it.

My Samsung Captivate is 3 years old.. and there are still recent ROMs being made for it to make it do recent stuff. I swear, that Captivate is the most versatile phone I've seen in quite awhile. The only phone I won't buy is Motorola. They lock it down severely so you can't dev for it, then ignore it for updates. This happened with my D2G.
--
Bresnan 30M/5M | CenturyLink 5M/896K
MyWS[PnmIIX3@3.2G,8G RAM,500G+1.5T+2T HDDs,Win7]
WifeWS[A64@2G,2G RAM,120G HDD,Win7]
Router[2xP3@1G,2G RAM,18G HDD,Allied Telesyn AT2560FX,2xDigital DE504,Sun X1034A,2xSun X4444A,SMC 8432BTA,Gentoo]

skeechan
Ai Otsukaholic
Premium
join:2012-01-26
AA169|170
kudos:2
Reviews:
·Clear Wireless
·Cox HSI
·Verizon FiOS

1 edit
It depends on the handset. The Galaxy Player/WiFi (mine was the import) has been troublesome from the beginning. Early on NOTHING worked with CM9. They just recently got BT working and last I checked lots of stuff like the camera still didn't work.

I got WAY better support from Motorola...even out of market factory ROMs where all right there on their support site for download. They also offered all the utils and even 'for dummies' instructions on how to use them them. I ran the au/KDDI ROM on my Xoom because the NA Xooms only shipped with English, French and Spanish support.

But I shouldn't have to run custom ROMs or hack on the device to get new features. The handset maker shouldn't abandon the platform on day one.