spc
uniqs

RedMageX
join:2011-10-06
Hamilton, ON

RedMageX to tristen1230

to tristen1230

Re: [INTERNET] New Bandwidth Limits

Cogeco HAD unlimited service over 10 years ago, I know for sure, but like every other ISP, they see money in UBB and got rid of the package, even when grandfathered in they removed it.

dillyhammer
START me up
Premium Member
join:2010-01-09
Scarborough, ON

dillyhammer

Premium Member

said by RedMageX:

Cogeco HAD unlimited service over 10 years ago, I know for sure, but like every other ISP, they see money in UBB and got rid of the package, even when grandfathered in they removed it.

It isn't just about the money, though it is a huge factor.

These companies are protecting their legacy business models - outdated modes of business that are failing and they have no idea what to do. So they've tacked on these insane charges with obscene markup onto their internet services to prevent people from ditching their legacy cable tv services. The profits are a side effect that stokes shareholder value.

This is precisely why Canada ranks so low for internet access and why that will not only continue, but get worse.

Mike
EdmundGerber
join:2010-01-04

EdmundGerber to RedMageX

to RedMageX
said by RedMageX:

You make it sound like they were just following everyone's lead when they were one of the first proponents of the UBB money-grab.