kudos:1

First NVIDIA GeForce Titan 780 Performance Numbers Revealed

Krisnatharok
Caveat Emptor
Premium
join:2009-02-11
Earth Orbit
kudos:12
Holy shit. I might have to rethink a second 7970.

Ghastlyone
Premium
join:2009-01-07
Las Vegas, NV
kudos:5
reply to Octavean
Holy mother of god.

I'm skipping the 6 series completely. Hopefully around April to May, these new 7 series will be available. Right when I'm able to purchase one.

Krisnatharok
Caveat Emptor
Premium
join:2009-02-11
Earth Orbit
kudos:12
Big mistake for AMD to make the 8000s as rebranded 7000s. We might quickly find an Intel/Nvidia monopoly on CPUs/GPUs.
--
Those who would give up Essential Liberty to purchase a little Temporary Safety, deserve neither Liberty nor Safety.

Kearnstd
Space Elf
Premium
join:2002-01-22
Mullica Hill, NJ
reply to Octavean
Guess I will wait and not get a 6 series, especially if the 7 has more cuda cores to support my other computing tasks.(mainly the cycles renderer in Blender can use Cuda.)
--
[65 Arcanist]Filan(High Elf) Zone: Broadband Reports

El Quintron
Resident Mouth Breather
Premium
join:2008-04-28
Etobicoke, ON
kudos:4
reply to Octavean
LOL so much for the 670... good thing I got it on sale.

Phantasee

join:2009-08-27
Hammond, LA
reply to Octavean
Effing WoW. I can play Duke Nukem Forever now on high!

me1212

join:2008-11-20
Pleasant Hill, MO
reply to Octavean
Welp my 7950 doesn't seem so cool any more. I hope amd knocks it out of the park with the 9000 series cards, or maybe even doesn't just re-brand the 8000 series. I dont want an intel/nvid monopoly, that would suck for us.

Cant wait to see the 900 series cards for when I rebuild in late 2015/early 2016

I have to wonder if devs will actually make use of it for new games, making old stuff obsolete or just keep milking old hardware. This'll probably use up all of what pcie 2.0 can do, meaning by (at the latets) 2016 pcie 3 will probably be mandatory for the x60 cards single gpu cards.

pnjunction
Teksavvy Extreme
Premium
join:2008-01-24
Toronto, ON
reply to Krisnatharok
said by Krisnatharok:

Big mistake for AMD to make the 8000s as rebranded 7000s. We might quickly find an Intel/Nvidia monopoly on CPUs/GPUs.

That decision, for OEM parts only and as dumb as it may be, probably isn't relevant to their product development cycle.

780 looking like a beast if this is true, but it seems too good to be so especially considering it is on the same process.

C0deZer0
Oc'D To Rhythm And Police
Premium
join:2001-10-03
Tempe, AZ
reply to Octavean
Comparing to the most 'alike' system I could find on futuremark's list... that's wicked!
--
Because, f*ck Sony

BonezX
Basement Dweller
Premium
join:2004-04-13
Canada
reply to pnjunction
said by pnjunction:

said by Krisnatharok:

That decision, for OEM parts only and as dumb as it may be, probably isn't relevant to their product development cycle.

780 looking like a beast if this is true, but it seems too good to be so especially considering it is on the same process.

780, i want a 790 water-cooled, because overkill is the proper enthusiast way

Octavean
Premium,MVM
join:2001-03-31
New York, NY
reply to El Quintron
said by El Quintron:

LOL so much for the 670... good thing I got it on sale.

I got my GTX 670 on sale too. I paid about ~$279.99 with two free games (Borderlands 2 and Assassins Creed 3). Its running a triple 27" monitor (1920x1080) 5760x1080 setup. I'm happy with it so far,...

El Quintron
Resident Mouth Breather
Premium
Etobicoke, ON
Reviews:
·TekSavvy Cable
·TekSavvy DSL
said by Octavean:

I'm happy with it so far,...

I am too,but I have a knee jerk reflex to lust for something more powerful whenever I hear about it.
--
Support Bacteria -- It's the Only Culture Some People Have

Octavean
Premium,MVM
New York, NY
said by El Quintron:

said by Octavean:

I'm happy with it so far,...

I am too,but I have a knee jerk reflex to lust for something more powerful whenever I hear about it.

Me too but my lust is tempered by the likely price,.....

Performance usually costs and in this case it likely will cost more then I am willing to pay,...

After all if money were no object I would have gone for a GTX 680 SLI configuration or a GTX 690,.....if not an HD 7970 Crossfire setup,...

Just trying to be realistic here,...

DKS
Damn Kidney Stones
Premium,ExMod 2002
join:2001-03-22
Owen Sound, ON
kudos:2
reply to Octavean
Starting to see second tier (PNY, Galaxy) selling the 670 for under $300 with MIR and the 680 just over $400 with MIR. That is usually a sign that a new product is in the pipeline in a couple of months. Watch for falling prices!
--
Need-based health care not greed-based health care.

El Quintron
Resident Mouth Breather
Premium
Etobicoke, ON
Reviews:
·TekSavvy Cable
·TekSavvy DSL
reply to Octavean
said by Octavean:

Of course, but the card it's being compared to is the 8800; which at the time, set some serious performance records at an affordable price (600 at launch and ~200 at end of life)

By time you need a new card, you'll probably be able to pick one up at around the same price you picked up your GTX 670, and it'll last you much longer.
--

Dissembled

join:2008-01-23
Indianapolis, IN
reply to Octavean
I'm too cheap to buy a new card in every series. The price/performance gain numbers just don't seem to be cost effective in my opinion. Completely just my opinion though.

I have a 570 and figure I'll get a 700 card when the high mid version of the series gets into the $250-$300 range.

Octavean
Premium,MVM
New York, NY
reply to El Quintron
said by El Quintron:

said by Octavean:

Of course, but the card it's being compared to is the 8800; which at the time, set some serious performance records at an affordable price (600 at launch and ~200 at end of life)

By time you need a new card, you'll probably be able to pick one up at around the same price you picked up your GTX 670, and it'll last you much longer.

6 GB Standard Memory Amount for GeForce Titan

quote:
SweClockers also learned that NVIDIA preparing to price the new card in the neighborhood of $899.

»www.techpowerup.com/179780/6-GB-···tan.html

C0deZer0
Premium
Tempe, AZ
If they could make such a monstrosity fit into a single-slot profile with its cooler as well, they'd have pulled a master stroke of a move, then.
--
Because, f*ck Sony

El Quintron
Resident Mouth Breather
Premium
Etobicoke, ON
Reviews:
·TekSavvy Cable
·TekSavvy DSL
reply to Octavean
said by Octavean:

quote:
SweClockers also learned that NVIDIA preparing to price the new card in the neighborhood of $899.

»www.techpowerup.com/179780/6-GB-···tan.html

Thanks for digging that price up, $899 makes it a very expensive card, however I don't think it's all that far off the mark considering the 8800 launched at $600 in 2006... which is still a lot of money now, but was considerably more then.

I won't be buying one at $899, but I'd probably buy one in the 400-500 range, assuming it's everything it's supposed to be.

EQ
--

Ghastlyone
Premium
Las Vegas, NV
reply to Octavean
Didn't the 680 release at a price around 700.00? And then pretty quickly dropped down to the 4-500 range?

I imagine the same will happen with this one.

TruSm0ke

join:2005-07-21
Michigan
Reviews:
·Comcast
reply to Octavean
I'm glad I just waited and didn't jump on the 600 series when I wanted to. Not saying the 600 series wasn't badass because it does some remarkable power to performance ratios. Titan looks like all out horsepower over power consideration. I'd be really impressed if they were able to eek out even more innovation in the power consumption department with such crazy performance.

Ghastlyone
Premium
Las Vegas, NV
reply to Octavean
Hypothetically, let's just say for example you purchased a 680 @ $600.00 and on average most people use their GPUs for 2 years at least, we're talking like 6 dollars a week that GPU will cost you.

I've heard of some people getting 3-4 years before upgrading again.

I just don't see it as a huge cost, when you factor in the amount of time you'll use it for.

C0deZer0
Premium
Tempe, AZ
said by Ghastlyone:

Hypothetically, let's just say for example you purchased a 680 @ $600.00 and on average most people use their GPUs for 2 years at least, we're talking like 6 dollars a week that GPU will cost you.

I've heard of some people getting 3-4 years before upgrading again.

I just don't see it as a huge cost, when you factor in the amount of time you'll use it for.

Fair point. But like many, spending that much up front, without knowing for sure how long it would last you, can seem rather hap-hazard.

I know per my experience, buying a GPU that had more VRAM usually ended up remaining useful longer, so I didn't have to upgrade as often.

When I first got my 8800GTS, it was still a $4*0 USD part. Sure, there was the 320MB part for less, but it wasn't less enough to justify getting that over the 640MB part for me. That card has been my primary up until the GTX 285, which I got in the 1GB flavor for about the same price; I'd since relegated the 8800GTS to handle PhysX for the time being, not sure how frequently I'd be playing PhysX-enabled games.

Forward to the present, this combination has been pretty effective. The fact that I can still play something like Metro 2033 fluidly (albeit not at the absolute highest), is stunning for me, and even a game like Far Cry 2, which its in-game framerate reporting was reading about 25fps still did very well. A lot of PC games I grew to enjoy came around to using PhysX, such as Borderlands.

So between the 6GB of RAM and the rather... obscene performance boost, the 780 certainly seems to be a winner. The only object to getting one then would just be the sticker shock. But if it ends up being another 8800GTX, well... you'll very likely be well covered until such time that both a new version of OpenGL/DirectX and some 'killer app/games' finally come out to justify an upgrade.
--
Because, f*ck Sony

DKS
Damn Kidney Stones
Premium,ExMod 2002
join:2001-03-22
Owen Sound, ON
kudos:2
reply to Octavean
Review samples have shipped. First release at the end of the month. This is NOT the 7*0 series chip, either. It is a Tesla redesigned.
--
Need-based health care not greed-based health care.

Octavean
Premium,MVM
New York, NY
reply to C0deZer0
I hear what you're saying C0deZer0,....

My thing is that I try to be very realistic about my buying habits and willingness to spend on a specific product. For example some of my past video cards are as follows (going from newest to oldest):

GTX 670 (reference design)
HD 6870
GTX 260
8800GT
8800GTS

Not one of those cards, not one, is the high-end for the given generation. So I'm not going to look at the GeForce Titan 780 and think this is something I am likely to buy because realistically its not. I'm not likely to spend much more then $300 on a video card,....period. Its not that I can't, its just that it isn't worth it to me. That's also my typical comfort zone max for CPU and motherboard. Occasionally I may go beyond that but rarely.

Octavean
Premium,MVM
New York, NY
reply to Octavean
nVidia GeForce GTX Titan PCB Pictured...Sort Of :

»www.techpowerup.com/179919/NVIDI···-Of.html

C0deZer0
Premium
Tempe, AZ
GK110? isn't that a 680?

Octavean
Premium,MVM
New York, NY
GTX 680 is GK104 if I recall correctly,....

C0deZer0
Premium
Tempe, AZ
I'm pretty sure that some GTX 6*0 core was codenamed GK110. Which leads me to doubt said picture.

That said, the fact that an early, nowhere-near-release GPU and board were able to get that kind of performance... and given that AMD suddenly decided to "stick with" their 7000 series for the rest of this year before releasing their 8k series, it seems to suggest AMD just got blind-sided by this thing's power, and are going back to work on making the 8k a viable competitor.

I just wish that they'd find a way to release these bad boys (either the current GTX 6*0's or this 780) in a single-slot design again... even if it's a waterblock. When I build a system, I usually end up using every available port on the motherboard; maybe not right away, but definitely in due time. With the factory coolers crowding adjacent slots, my current setup leaves my old 680i board absolutely deadlocked for where I could put any other expansions. And I get that it's because of supporting so many monitors from one, but even the waterblocked GTX 6*0's you can get now are still two-slot setups.
--
Because, f*ck Sony