share rss forum feed

Ghastlyone
Premium
join:2009-01-07
Las Vegas, NV
kudos:5
reply to Octavean

Re: First NVIDIA GeForce Titan 780 Performance Numbers Revealed

Didn't the 680 release at a price around 700.00? And then pretty quickly dropped down to the 4-500 range?

I imagine the same will happen with this one.

TruSm0ke

join:2005-07-21
Michigan
Reviews:
·Comcast
reply to Octavean
I'm glad I just waited and didn't jump on the 600 series when I wanted to. Not saying the 600 series wasn't badass because it does some remarkable power to performance ratios. Titan looks like all out horsepower over power consideration. I'd be really impressed if they were able to eek out even more innovation in the power consumption department with such crazy performance.

Ghastlyone
Premium
Las Vegas, NV
reply to Octavean
Hypothetically, let's just say for example you purchased a 680 @ $600.00 and on average most people use their GPUs for 2 years at least, we're talking like 6 dollars a week that GPU will cost you.

I've heard of some people getting 3-4 years before upgrading again.

I just don't see it as a huge cost, when you factor in the amount of time you'll use it for.

C0deZer0
Oc'D To Rhythm And Police
Premium
join:2001-10-03
Tempe, AZ
said by Ghastlyone:

Hypothetically, let's just say for example you purchased a 680 @ $600.00 and on average most people use their GPUs for 2 years at least, we're talking like 6 dollars a week that GPU will cost you.

I've heard of some people getting 3-4 years before upgrading again.

I just don't see it as a huge cost, when you factor in the amount of time you'll use it for.

Fair point. But like many, spending that much up front, without knowing for sure how long it would last you, can seem rather hap-hazard.

I know per my experience, buying a GPU that had more VRAM usually ended up remaining useful longer, so I didn't have to upgrade as often.

When I first got my 8800GTS, it was still a $4*0 USD part. Sure, there was the 320MB part for less, but it wasn't less enough to justify getting that over the 640MB part for me. That card has been my primary up until the GTX 285, which I got in the 1GB flavor for about the same price; I'd since relegated the 8800GTS to handle PhysX for the time being, not sure how frequently I'd be playing PhysX-enabled games.

Forward to the present, this combination has been pretty effective. The fact that I can still play something like Metro 2033 fluidly (albeit not at the absolute highest), is stunning for me, and even a game like Far Cry 2, which its in-game framerate reporting was reading about 25fps still did very well. A lot of PC games I grew to enjoy came around to using PhysX, such as Borderlands.

So between the 6GB of RAM and the rather... obscene performance boost, the 780 certainly seems to be a winner. The only object to getting one then would just be the sticker shock. But if it ends up being another 8800GTX, well... you'll very likely be well covered until such time that both a new version of OpenGL/DirectX and some 'killer app/games' finally come out to justify an upgrade.
--
Because, f*ck Sony

DKS
Damn Kidney Stones
Premium,ExMod 2002
join:2001-03-22
Owen Sound, ON
kudos:2
reply to Octavean
Review samples have shipped. First release at the end of the month. This is NOT the 7*0 series chip, either. It is a Tesla redesigned.
--
Need-based health care not greed-based health care.

Octavean
Premium,MVM
join:2001-03-31
New York, NY
kudos:1
reply to C0deZer0
I hear what you're saying C0deZer0,....

My thing is that I try to be very realistic about my buying habits and willingness to spend on a specific product. For example some of my past video cards are as follows (going from newest to oldest):

GTX 670 (reference design)
HD 6870
GTX 260
8800GT
8800GTS

Not one of those cards, not one, is the high-end for the given generation. So I'm not going to look at the GeForce Titan 780 and think this is something I am likely to buy because realistically its not. I'm not likely to spend much more then $300 on a video card,....period. Its not that I can't, its just that it isn't worth it to me. That's also my typical comfort zone max for CPU and motherboard. Occasionally I may go beyond that but rarely.

Octavean
Premium,MVM
New York, NY
reply to Octavean
nVidia GeForce GTX Titan PCB Pictured...Sort Of :

»www.techpowerup.com/179919/NVIDI···-Of.html

C0deZer0
Premium
Tempe, AZ
GK110? isn't that a 680?

Octavean
Premium,MVM
New York, NY
GTX 680 is GK104 if I recall correctly,....

C0deZer0
Premium
Tempe, AZ
I'm pretty sure that some GTX 6*0 core was codenamed GK110. Which leads me to doubt said picture.

That said, the fact that an early, nowhere-near-release GPU and board were able to get that kind of performance... and given that AMD suddenly decided to "stick with" their 7000 series for the rest of this year before releasing their 8k series, it seems to suggest AMD just got blind-sided by this thing's power, and are going back to work on making the 8k a viable competitor.

I just wish that they'd find a way to release these bad boys (either the current GTX 6*0's or this 780) in a single-slot design again... even if it's a waterblock. When I build a system, I usually end up using every available port on the motherboard; maybe not right away, but definitely in due time. With the factory coolers crowding adjacent slots, my current setup leaves my old 680i board absolutely deadlocked for where I could put any other expansions. And I get that it's because of supporting so many monitors from one, but even the waterblocked GTX 6*0's you can get now are still two-slot setups.
--
Because, f*ck Sony

Octavean
Premium,MVM
New York, NY
reply to Octavean
quote:
ASUS GeForce GTX Titan 6GB Video Card Listed For Sale

It looks like the NVIDIA GeForce Titan video card is getting pretty close to launching! The ASUS GeForce GTX Titan 6GB (GTXTITAN-6GD5) has been listed at a Danish retailer’s website called Proshop. The GeForce GTX Titan is rumored to be the first desktop gaming graphics card to use the GK110 GPU and should become the new flagship single GPU video card for NVIDIA. No picture was shown, but the site lists that is has 6GB of GDDR5 memory, uses the PCIe 3.0 interface (duh) and has two DVI, one HDMI and one DisplayPort video outputs. The most interesting thing to us is that the ASUS GeForce GTX Titan 6GB video card was listed with a price of 7.276,00 kr. This puts the card at €845 or $1135, which likely doesn't mean much as the price is likely inflated. At the end of the day who knows if anything valuable was learned here, but it's fun to speculate!

»www.legitreviews.com/news/15105/

Octavean
Premium,MVM
New York, NY
reply to C0deZer0
said by C0deZer0:

I'm pretty sure that some GTX 6*0 core was codenamed GK110. Which leads me to doubt said picture.

All the reviews of the GTX 680 I have come across refer to them as GK104

quote:
NVIDIA GeForce GTX 680 Review: Retaking The Performance Crown

Launching today is the GeForce GTX 680, at the heart of which is NVIDIA’s new GK104 GPU, based on their equally new Kepler architecture. As we’ll see, not only has NVIDIA retaken the performance crown with the GeForce GTX 680, but they have done so in a manner truly befitting of their drive for efficiency.

»www.anandtech.com/show/5699/nvid···0-review

DKS
Damn Kidney Stones
Premium,ExMod 2002
Owen Sound, ON
said by Octavean:

said by C0deZer0:

All the reviews of the GTX 680 I have come across refer to them as GK104

That's what GPU-Z reports on my GTX 680.
--

C0deZer0
Premium
Tempe, AZ
reply to Octavean
Okay, so it's the first desktop GK110. Still though, I cna' help but shake the feeling that the GK110 was used in something else... a workstation model, maybe? I just know it's going to bug me until I figure out what it was that I'd seen the GK110 mentioned existing as before.

6GB's of VRAM on a single card! THAT should last a good while But at $1200 for just one... ouch.
--
Because, f*ck Sony

Octavean
Premium,MVM
New York, NY
Can you imagine two of those bad boys in SLI or maybe three,....

Cha-ching,..$$$$

I'm realistic though I don't think I would ever even get one. The ~$1200 price is likely the prerelease grab "all you can" price. When it goes retail and or when AMD launches something to compete the price should get better,...

I still cringe at spend ~$300 or so for a video card so you know where I stand,...

DKS
Damn Kidney Stones
Premium,ExMod 2002
Owen Sound, ON

1 recommendation

reply to Octavean
First detailed info. Release is Monday. EVGA & ASUS only. Less that 10k units will be made.
--

Ghastlyone
Premium
Las Vegas, NV
LOL....read the comments section when you get a chance. The AMD fanboys are out in full force. I like both AMD and Nvidia, I don't give a crap which one is better. These guys in that article are beyond retarded.

Krisnatharok
Caveat Emptor
Premium
join:2009-02-11
Earth Orbit
kudos:12
The real battle is when they scale this down to cards that compete with the 680 and 7970.

The comments read like those on a news site, like NYT/CNN/WSJ. People don't care if their bias shows.

I was planning on purchasing a second Sapphire Vapor-X 7970 3GB. I think I'll wait 2 weeks just to see what happens to prices.

If it's true that this card is $800-1000, and 10% slower than a GTX 690/Radeon 7990, it is really only catering to people going for 2-3+ GPU setups.

But the positive effect will be the scaled down versions that will go for $300-500. Hopefully it forces AMD to respond with either BIOS updates or a newer high-end card.
--
Those who would give up Essential Liberty to purchase a little Temporary Safety, deserve neither Liberty nor Safety.

Ghastlyone
Premium
Las Vegas, NV
said by Krisnatharok:

If it's true that this card is $800-1000, and 10% slower than a GTX 690/Radeon 7990, it is really only catering to people going for 2-3+ GPU setups.

I agree. It is kind of weird if this thing is priced near $1,000 dollars and still a tad slower then a 690/7990. You might as well just go with a 690?

But...it's got 6gb of 384bit Vram. I don't know what kind of benchmarks they ran on this compared to the 690, but maybe we'll see some interesting results later on?

Blockfire
Sarcasm is my native tongue

join:2010-02-11
Wichita, KS
reply to Octavean
i bet you this card can max out a pci-e 2.0 x16 lanes ?

Krisnatharok
Caveat Emptor
Premium
Earth Orbit
reply to Ghastlyone
Except that this is considered a single card. So SLI two of these bad-boys and you could probably equal or beat all the quad-card setups out there. Get three of them and be in uncharted terrain.

If you have $3000 to spend on GPUs.

It's more of a collectible meant to add a psychological edge to the competition ("yeah but WE have the fastest single card, so nwah"). Significant for bragging rights, but until the design filters down into the GTX 700 series, it won't affect 99.5% of customers. Just the fanboys who like something to brag about.

I sincerely hope this says something about the GTX 700s. Even if they cut the cost and performance gain in half, you're still talking ~45% faster than a GTX 680.
--
Those who would give up Essential Liberty to purchase a little Temporary Safety, deserve neither Liberty nor Safety.

me1212

join:2008-11-20
Pleasant Hill, MO
reply to Blockfire
Can a 690/7990? If so chances are yes. Wonder when something comparable to it will make it to the x60 slot, so I can actually afford it. :P

Krisnatharok
Caveat Emptor
Premium
Earth Orbit
reply to Blockfire
said by Blockfire:

You definitely want to be on Z77 or X79 if you are putting down a grand for a GTX Titan.
--

Ghastlyone
Premium
Las Vegas, NV
said by Krisnatharok:

said by Blockfire:

You definitely want to be on Z77 or X79 if you are putting down a grand for a GTX Titan.

lol....dude, I can guarantee you there's someone out there somewhere that bought a 690 and plugged it into a PCI-E 1.0 board.

me1212

Pleasant Hill, MO
Thats a disturbing thought. Although it does cause me to wonder what would happen if one were put in a 1.0/1.0 o 2.0/2.1 slot how much worse would it preform compared to a 3.0 slot? I'll be interested to see what the benches show.

C0deZer0
Premium
Tempe, AZ
We know it would obviously perform better than anything else plugged into there... but I'd be curious to know how much better it would be in a 2.0 or 3.0 slot then as well.
--
Because, f*ck Sony

me1212

Pleasant Hill, MO
I just realized, doesn't AMD have like no mother boards with pcie 3.0? Yeah I know kinda off topic, but how much else is this gonna put amd behind? The 680 and even amd's own 7970, when using multi gpus, are better preforming in pcie 3.0 than 2.0(Not sure how much more never done the math myself), I assume the same is true for the 7990 and 690, and most likely this one too. Like I said probably a bit off topic but it worries me that we may have even less competition if amd doesn't get its chip sets in gear and put pcie 3.0 on boards.

Octavean
Premium,MVM
New York, NY
quote:
ASUS Unveils World's First PCI-Express 3.0 Motherboard for AMD Processors

ASUS did the unthinkable yet simple, by innovating the first AMD platform motherboard that features PCI-Express 3.0 x16 slots, the Sabertooth 990FX/GEN3.0 R2.0. Long naming aside, the board provides you a couple of gen 3.0 slots by using PLX-made 48-lane PCI-Express Gen 3.0 bridge chip.

»www.techpowerup.com/178545/ASUS-···ors.html

me1212

Pleasant Hill, MO
Woops, looks like I'm outdated. Sorry about that, hadnt heard about that yet. good to see though.

Octavean
Premium,MVM
New York, NY
Well it's still very new and I don't know if its even hit the market yet. In other words I don't know if it can be purchased yet. It's also just one board by one manufactur so your thinking isn't outdated IMO.

ASUS does some degree of innovation but sometimes they get ahead of themselves and come up with products that they have been effectively unable to bring to market due to outside forces. For example ASUS outfitted most of their Z77 motherboards with a "TB_Header" intended for use with a ThunderboltEX add-in card that was never released. The ThunderboltEX card was supposed to add Intel Thunderbolt support to these Thunderbolt ready motherboards but Intel refused it certification.

ASUS also intended to bring Intel Thunderbolt to AMD motherboards in a similar way via the "TB_Header" and ThunderboltEX card which is surprising since an Intel video subsystem (iGPU) is a requirement of the spec. Needless to say Intel had a part in smacking this down too,....

I guess my point is you have to see it for sale before you can really see it as a viable solution.