MVM
join:2001-03-31
New York, NY

Octavean

MVM

Re: First NVIDIA GeForce Titan 780 Performance Numbers Revealed

quote:
ASUS GeForce GTX Titan 6GB Video Card Listed For Sale

It looks like the NVIDIA GeForce Titan video card is getting pretty close to launching! The ASUS GeForce GTX Titan 6GB (GTXTITAN-6GD5) has been listed at a Danish retailer’s website called Proshop. The GeForce GTX Titan is rumored to be the first desktop gaming graphics card to use the GK110 GPU and should become the new flagship single GPU video card for NVIDIA. No picture was shown, but the site lists that is has 6GB of GDDR5 memory, uses the PCIe 3.0 interface (duh) and has two DVI, one HDMI and one DisplayPort video outputs. The most interesting thing to us is that the ASUS GeForce GTX Titan 6GB video card was listed with a price of 7.276,00 kr. This puts the card at €845 or $1135, which likely doesn't mean much as the price is likely inflated. At the end of the day who knows if anything valuable was learned here, but it's fun to speculate!

»www.legitreviews.com/news/15105/
Octavean

Octavean to C0deZer0

MVM

to C0deZer0
said by C0deZer0:

I'm pretty sure that some GTX 6*0 core was codenamed GK110. Which leads me to doubt said picture.

All the reviews of the GTX 680 I have come across refer to them as GK104
quote:
NVIDIA GeForce GTX 680 Review: Retaking The Performance Crown

Launching today is the GeForce GTX 680, at the heart of which is NVIDIA’s new GK104 GPU, based on their equally new Kepler architecture. As we’ll see, not only has NVIDIA retaken the performance crown with the GeForce GTX 680, but they have done so in a manner truly befitting of their drive for efficiency.

»www.anandtech.com/show/5 ··· 0-review

DKS
Damn Kidney Stones

join:2001-03-22
Owen Sound, ON

DKS

said by Octavean:

said by C0deZer0:

I'm pretty sure that some GTX 6*0 core was codenamed GK110. Which leads me to doubt said picture.

All the reviews of the GTX 680 I have come across refer to them as GK104

That's what GPU-Z reports on my GTX 680.

C0deZer0
Oc'D To Rhythm And Police
Premium Member
join:2001-10-03
Tempe, AZ

C0deZer0 to Octavean

Premium Member

to Octavean
Okay, so it's the first desktop GK110. Still though, I cna' help but shake the feeling that the GK110 was used in something else... a workstation model, maybe? I just know it's going to bug me until I figure out what it was that I'd seen the GK110 mentioned existing as before.

6GB's of VRAM on a single card! THAT should last a good while But at $1200 for just one... ouch.

Octavean
MVM
New York, NY

Octavean

MVM

Can you imagine two of those bad boys in SLI or maybe three,....

Cha-ching,..$$$$

I'm realistic though I don't think I would ever even get one. The ~$1200 price is likely the prerelease grab "all you can" price. When it goes retail and or when AMD launches something to compete the price should get better,...

I still cringe at spend ~$300 or so for a video card so you know where I stand,...

DKS
Damn Kidney Stones

Owen Sound, ON

1 recommendation

DKS to Octavean

to Octavean
First detailed info. Release is Monday. EVGA & ASUS only. Less that 10k units will be made.

Ghastlyone
Premium Member
join:2009-01-07
Nashville, TN

Ghastlyone

Premium Member

LOL....read the comments section when you get a chance. The AMD fanboys are out in full force. I like both AMD and Nvidia, I don't give a crap which one is better. These guys in that article are beyond retarded.

Krisnatharok
PC Builder, Gamer
Premium Member
join:2009-02-11
Earth Orbit

Krisnatharok

Premium Member

The real battle is when they scale this down to cards that compete with the 680 and 7970.

The comments read like those on a news site, like NYT/CNN/WSJ. People don't care if their bias shows.

I was planning on purchasing a second Sapphire Vapor-X 7970 3GB. I think I'll wait 2 weeks just to see what happens to prices.

If it's true that this card is $800-1000, and 10% slower than a GTX 690/Radeon 7990, it is really only catering to people going for 2-3+ GPU setups.

But the positive effect will be the scaled down versions that will go for $300-500. Hopefully it forces AMD to respond with either BIOS updates or a newer high-end card.

Ghastlyone
Premium Member
Nashville, TN

Ghastlyone

Premium Member

said by Krisnatharok:

If it's true that this card is $800-1000, and 10% slower than a GTX 690/Radeon 7990, it is really only catering to people going for 2-3+ GPU setups.

I agree. It is kind of weird if this thing is priced near $1,000 dollars and still a tad slower then a 690/7990. You might as well just go with a 690?

But...it's got 6gb of 384bit Vram. I don't know what kind of benchmarks they ran on this compared to the 690, but maybe we'll see some interesting results later on?

Blockgorilla
Sarcasm is my native tongue
join:2010-02-11
Wichita, KS

Blockgorilla to Octavean

to Octavean
i bet you this card can max out a pci-e 2.0 x16 lanes ?

Krisnatharok
PC Builder, Gamer
Premium Member
Earth Orbit

Krisnatharok to Ghastlyone

Premium Member

to Ghastlyone
Except that this is considered a single card. So SLI two of these bad-boys and you could probably equal or beat all the quad-card setups out there. Get three of them and be in uncharted terrain.

If you have $3000 to spend on GPUs.

It's more of a collectible meant to add a psychological edge to the competition ("yeah but WE have the fastest single card, so nwah"). Significant for bragging rights, but until the design filters down into the GTX 700 series, it won't affect 99.5% of customers. Just the fanboys who like something to brag about.

I sincerely hope this says something about the GTX 700s. Even if they cut the cost and performance gain in half, you're still talking ~45% faster than a GTX 680.
me1212
join:2008-11-20
Lees Summit, MO

me1212 to Blockgorilla

to Blockgorilla
Can a 690/7990? If so chances are yes. Wonder when something comparable to it will make it to the x60 slot, so I can actually afford it. :P

Krisnatharok
PC Builder, Gamer
Premium Member
Earth Orbit

Krisnatharok to Blockgorilla

Premium Member

to Blockgorilla
said by Blockgorilla:

You definitely want to be on Z77 or X79 if you are putting down a grand for a GTX Titan.

Ghastlyone
Premium Member
Nashville, TN

Ghastlyone

Premium Member

said by Krisnatharok:

said by Blockgorilla:

You definitely want to be on Z77 or X79 if you are putting down a grand for a GTX Titan.

lol....dude, I can guarantee you there's someone out there somewhere that bought a 690 and plugged it into a PCI-E 1.0 board.
me1212
Lees Summit, MO

me1212

Thats a disturbing thought. Although it does cause me to wonder what would happen if one were put in a 1.0/1.0 o 2.0/2.1 slot how much worse would it preform compared to a 3.0 slot? I'll be interested to see what the benches show.

C0deZer0
Premium Member
Tempe, AZ

C0deZer0

Premium Member

We know it would obviously perform better than anything else plugged into there... but I'd be curious to know how much better it would be in a 2.0 or 3.0 slot then as well.
me1212
Lees Summit, MO
·Google Fiber

me1212

I just realized, doesn't AMD have like no mother boards with pcie 3.0? Yeah I know kinda off topic, but how much else is this gonna put amd behind? The 680 and even amd's own 7970, when using multi gpus, are better preforming in pcie 3.0 than 2.0(Not sure how much more never done the math myself), I assume the same is true for the 7990 and 690, and most likely this one too. Like I said probably a bit off topic but it worries me that we may have even less competition if amd doesn't get its chip sets in gear and put pcie 3.0 on boards.

Octavean
MVM
New York, NY

Octavean

MVM

quote:
ASUS Unveils World's First PCI-Express 3.0 Motherboard for AMD Processors

ASUS did the unthinkable yet simple, by innovating the first AMD platform motherboard that features PCI-Express 3.0 x16 slots, the Sabertooth 990FX/GEN3.0 R2.0. Long naming aside, the board provides you a couple of gen 3.0 slots by using PLX-made 48-lane PCI-Express Gen 3.0 bridge chip.

»www.techpowerup.com/1785 ··· ors.html
me1212
Lees Summit, MO

me1212

Woops, looks like I'm outdated. Sorry about that, hadnt heard about that yet. good to see though.

Octavean
MVM
New York, NY

Octavean

MVM

Well it's still very new and I don't know if its even hit the market yet. In other words I don't know if it can be purchased yet. It's also just one board by one manufactur so your thinking isn't outdated IMO.

ASUS does some degree of innovation but sometimes they get ahead of themselves and come up with products that they have been effectively unable to bring to market due to outside forces. For example ASUS outfitted most of their Z77 motherboards with a "TB_Header" intended for use with a ThunderboltEX add-in card that was never released. The ThunderboltEX card was supposed to add Intel Thunderbolt support to these Thunderbolt ready motherboards but Intel refused it certification.

ASUS also intended to bring Intel Thunderbolt to AMD motherboards in a similar way via the "TB_Header" and ThunderboltEX card which is surprising since an Intel video subsystem (iGPU) is a requirement of the spec. Needless to say Intel had a part in smacking this down too,....

I guess my point is you have to see it for sale before you can really see it as a viable solution.

DKS
Damn Kidney Stones

Owen Sound, ON

DKS to Octavean

to Octavean
First pics of the Titan, both nekked and clothed, are hitting the net.

»hardforum.com/showthread ··· =1746131
DKS

DKS

More Titan pics. And more info here.
quote:
Pictures leaked by various sources east of the Greenwich Median reveal a reference board design that's similar in many ways to that of the GeForce GTX 690, thanks to the magnesium alloy cooler shroud, a clear acrylic window letting you peep into the aluminum fin stack, and a large lateral blower. The card features a glowy "GeForce GTX" logo much like the GTX 690, draws power from a combination of 6-pin and 8-pin PCIe power connectors, and features two SLI bridge fingers letting you pair four of them to run 3DMark Fire Strike as if it were a console port from last decade.

The GeForce GTX Titan PCB reveals that NVIDIA isn't using a full-coverage IHS on the GK110 ASIC, rather just a support brace. This allows enthusiasts to apply TIM directly on the chip's die. The GPU is wired to a total of twenty four 2 Gbit GDDR5 memory chips, twelve on each side of the PCB. The card's VRM appears to consist of a 6+2 phase design which uses tantalum capacitors, slimline chokes, and driver-MOSFETs. The PCB features a 4-pin PWM fan power output, and a 2-pin LED logo power output that's software controllable.

Given the rumored specifications of the GTX Titan, the card could be overkill for even 2560 x 1600, and as such could be designed for 3DVision Surround (3 display) setups. Display outputs include two dual-link DVI, an HDMI, and a DisplayPort.

According to most sources, the card's specifications look something like this: •28 nm GK110-based ASIC
•2,688 CUDA cores ("Kepler" micro-architecture)
•224 TMUs, 48 ROPs
•384-bit GDDR5 memory interface
•6 GB memory
•Clocks:
o 837 MHz core
o 878 MHz maximum GPU Boost
o 6008 MHz memory
•250W board power

DKS

DKS to Octavean

to Octavean
Deleted post.
DKS

DKS

And here we go.... It says it decimates the rest.

BonezX
Basement Dweller
Premium Member
join:2004-04-13
Canada

BonezX

Premium Member

said by DKS:

hate to piss on a fire to put it out, but what's with the arbitrary graphs ?

using % scales without actual frame rates is not exactly saying much, and the 0.0-2.0 graph is not exactly useful.

i still want one, but seriously, why can't some people benchmark properly.

Krisnatharok
PC Builder, Gamer
Premium Member
Earth Orbit

Krisnatharok to DKS

Premium Member

to DKS
said by DKS:

I'll wait for the reviews. Comparing three-way Titan SLI vs. two-way 690 (quad 680) SLI is disingenuous and confusing. Impressive? Sure, but these sites are just free hype for Nvidia. The charts say nothing concrete.

A proper reviewer needs to get his or her hands on the card and properly match it up against the 680 and the 7970 and see how it fares at 1080p, 1440p, 1600p, and 3x 1080p.

Ghastlyone
Premium Member
Nashville, TN

Ghastlyone to Octavean

Premium Member

to Octavean
Why the hell are all these people comparing this Titan card directly with the 690?

It's like apples to oranges. What the hell does a quad-SLI 690 compared to a Tri-SLI Titan prove? Absolutely nothing.

All I want to see, is comparisons to a single 680 and a single 7970. Single GPU to single GPU.

Octavean
MVM
New York, NY

Octavean

MVM

Digital Storm Bolt Combines Supercomputer Graphics with a Super-Thin Design
quote:
Digital Storm, the predominant name in computer system integration and engineering, is excited to announce it will offer a Titan Edition of its award winning Bolt - the slimmest gaming computer ever. The new NVIDIA GTX Titan is the world's fastest graphics card, and utilizes the same technology that powers Oak Ridge National Laboratory's Titan, the world's fastest supercomputer.

The Bolt's unique ventilation system differentiates it from all other small form factor PCs, making it one of the only systems in its class able to handle the powerful GTX Titan. The custom designed chassis features vents near each critical component, large top and rear vents to eliminate any stagnant air inside of the system, and a dedicated air channel created by a slotted side vent to cool the power supply. The design delivers industry leading thermals and ultra-quiet operation.

The Titan powered Bolt performed exceptionally when running Steam Big Picture, Valve's popular games distribution platform optimized for big screen TVs. The Bolt's unmatched balance of explosive power and size, just 3.6" wide, make it an ideal console replacement and destined to make the move from the home office or bedroom into the living room.

The Digital Storm Bolt Titan Edition is available now at www.digitalstormonline.com and starts at $2,499.

»www.techpowerup.com/1803 ··· ign.html

Ghastlyone
Premium Member
Nashville, TN

Ghastlyone

Premium Member

They have the Titan up on Nvidia's website now. No links for sale yet though.

EVGA doesn't have anything yet.

C0deZer0
Premium Member
Tempe, AZ

C0deZer0

Premium Member

Anandtech ended up getting a system from Origin with three of these... with EK's full-cover blocks on them too. Oh baby...