kingdome74
Let's Go Orange
Premium Member
join:2002-03-27
Syracuse, NY

kingdome74

Premium Member

Best Solution For Angry Wife

As the title says I have an angry wife on my hands because she can't play her Java-based games at Pogo. For whatever reason (and I've been married long enough to know not to question her on it) she loves Pogo and has been playing it for years. Now she's going through withdrawls... what options do I have to keep her safe and still be able to play her games?

HA Nut
Premium Member
join:2004-05-13
USA

2 recommendations

HA Nut

Premium Member

Best recommendations I've seen is to have at least 2 browsers on the computer. Disable Java in the one that's used for everything but Pogo and leave Java enabled for Pogo's browser. It requires that she use the right browser at the right time but hopefully that won't be an issue for you (and her!)

StuartMW
Premium Member
join:2000-08-06

2 recommendations

StuartMW to kingdome74

Premium Member

to kingdome74
One could update to Wife 2.0 but ... failing that I'd consider a virtual machine (VM) assuming you have a host OS that supports it. Install Java and the browser of your choice in that VM. Then save the VM image (VHD file) and have your wife use a copy. If it ever gets infected just copy the original VM (VHD file). Rinse and repeat as necessary

LadyL
Premium Member
join:2002-09-18
Lorain, OH

1 recommendation

LadyL to kingdome74

Premium Member

to kingdome74
I play at pogo.com...ever since they started(am also an original Club Pogo member). Yup...java has caused quite a few problems with members lately, but all I do...for the java-based games, is put the check mark in the box that pops up, and keep doing so until the game is playable. I use IE7 I refuse to add a different browser just for the java games at pogo and I refuse to upgrade to whatever IE is offered...I don't like tabs ...I also love my Vista Home Basic and will use it until either I die or the computer goes completely wonky

EUS
Kill cancer
Premium Member
join:2002-09-10
canada

EUS to kingdome74

Premium Member

to kingdome74
Install Skyrim, say goodbye to wife for about 18 months.
redwolfe_98
Premium Member
join:2001-06-11

3 edits

2 recommendations

redwolfe_98 to kingdome74

Premium Member

to kingdome74
supposedly, "firefox" has "click to play", for "java", where "java" will not run unless it is manually allowed to run-on a particular webpage or at a particular website..

additionally, the "noscript" addon, for "firefox", will prevent java from running, except when you manually allow it to run, on a particular webpage.. (you have to adjust noscript's settings in order to optimize the protection that it offers)..

additionally, in "firefox", java could be left disabled and then enabled, temporarily, when playing games at "pogo.com"..

i would recommend using "firefox 18.0.1" (the latest version) with the "noscript" addon.. (i would also recommend using the "adblock plus" addon, with "firefox" )..

some people have said that "firefox" completely blocks "java" from running, but that is not my understanding.. you just have to use "click to play" to enable it to run on particular webpages or at particular websites..

google's "chrome"-browser also has "click to play", for "java", but i don't like "chrome"..

if you are going to have "java" installed, i would try to have it disabled in "internet explorer".. here are two articles about disabling "java" in IE.. both of the artcles discuss using various regkeys to prevent "java" from running in "internet explorer" :

»support.microsoft.com/kb/2751647

»www.kb.cert.org/vuls/id/636312

here is another article that discusses some issues with the latest version of "java" (under "disable java in web browsers" ), like, sometimes the "control panel" won't open, and, sometimes java crashes:

»www.kb.cert.org/vuls/id/625617

kingdome74
Let's Go Orange
Premium Member
Syracuse, NY

kingdome74

Premium Member

We do use the latest Firefox with Adblock with the Element Hiding. I think adding noscript to her's might be the solution.

ZZZZZZZ
Premium Member
join:2001-05-27
PARADISE

ZZZZZZZ to kingdome74

Premium Member

to kingdome74
Pogo has been a disaster for over a year now.........it takes me almost 20 minutes for a game to load now,and only if I choose to disable most of my security.

Quit playing there.

Woody79_00
I run Linux am I still a PC?
Premium Member
join:2004-07-08
united state

3 recommendations

Woody79_00 to kingdome74

Premium Member

to kingdome74
1. Install Sandboxie.

2. Enable Java in 1 Browser (i suggest Firefox)

3. When wanting to play Pogo or use internet, launch Firefox through Sandboxie.

don't use Firefox for anything else, and disable the Java plug-in on any other browsers on the system...the wife can play Pogo happily and safely inside Sandboxie....its probably the least complicated of the ways to go about doing it.

»www.sandboxie.com/

StuartMW
Premium Member

1 recommendation

StuartMW to kingdome74

Premium Member

to kingdome74
I assume your objective is to prevent your computer being infected by malware exploiting a flaw in Java? Not sure how only enabling Java in a single browser would prevent this. Once a flaw is exploited the whole machine is toast not just the browser. Enabling Java on a site by site basis will work but human error is always possible ("Oops I didn't mean to do that."). Add-ons etc can reduce the possibility of you being infected but it's still possible.

To positively prevent your PC from being infected you must isolate the browser/Java from the rest of the machine. VM or Sandboxie will do that.

DrStrange
Technically feasible
Premium Member
join:2001-07-23
Bristol, CT

DrStrange to kingdome74

Premium Member

to kingdome74
SmartShield.
dave
Premium Member
join:2000-05-04
not in ohio

dave to StuartMW

Premium Member

to StuartMW
said by StuartMW:

To positively prevent your PC from being infected you must isolate the browser/Java from the rest of the machine. VM or Sandboxie will do that.

It seems to me that separate accounts will go a long way: assuming sensible use of file protection on behalf of the user (i.e., don't go assigning "everyone: full"), then the only thing that a runaway Java app or other malware can do is to destroy that account.

Whether or not a separate account (with limited capability, naturally) is more palatable than a VM is up to the user to determine, I suppose.

Me, I'd probably plump for separate hardware

AVD
Respice, Adspice, Prospice
Premium Member
join:2003-02-06
Onion, NJ

AVD

Premium Member

said by dave:

[

Me, I'd probably plump for separate hardware

two separate machines. If all she does is java gaming, install linux.

barring that, dual boot a simple linux (I strongly recommend jolios).
dsilvers
join:2009-05-17
Canyon Lake, TX

2 recommendations

dsilvers to kingdome74

to kingdome74
said by Woody79_001 :
1. Install Sandboxie.

2. Enable Java in 1 Browser (i suggest Firefox)

3. When wanting to play Pogo or use internet, launch Firefox through Sandboxie.

»www.sandboxie.com/

Plus one.

Sandboxie virtualizes applications only. Set it to delete the sandbox on close and poof any changes made by java are gone. If you set it up your wife can get up to speed quickly. Right Click The Application > Run Sandboxed. Free version is fine, paid version allows you force applications to run in a sandbox.

Anav
Sarcastic Llama? Naw, Just Acerbic
Premium Member
join:2001-07-16
Dartmouth, NS

Anav to StuartMW

Premium Member

to StuartMW
Stuart I had to read that several times because my mind kept saying hes suggesting to clone his wife LOL. I really like the idea of replacing the infected wife.
Anav

Anav to kingdome74

Premium Member

to kingdome74
Advice I once heard.
Never has there been a reported incidence in NA, or Russia or anywhere for that matter, where a Husband was murdered for doing housework!!

There problem solved. Paypal donations excepted.

StuartMW
Premium Member

StuartMW to Anav

Premium Member

to Anav
said by Anav:

I really like the idea of replacing the infected wife.

LOL. Of course it depends upon how the wife was "infected"

One could always get a Virtual Wife After all football player Manti Te'o was recently found to have a virtual (and "dead") "girlfriend".

Phoenix22
Death From Above
Premium Member
join:2001-12-11
SOG C&C Nrth

Phoenix22 to StuartMW

Premium Member

to StuartMW
come on...where have you been....we are up to wife 19.0.0.12 now;=))

StuartMW
Premium Member

1 recommendation

StuartMW

Premium Member

Really? I think most are still on Wife 1.0. A few on Wife 2.0 and even fewer on Wife 3.0. Some in Hollywood may've made it to Wife 4.0 but Wife 19.0.0.12???

Dustyn
Premium Member
join:2003-02-26
Ontario, CAN
·Carry Telecom
·TekSavvy Cable
Asus GT-AX11000
Technicolor TC4400

1 recommendation

Dustyn to kingdome74

Premium Member

to kingdome74
Sandboxie
• Secure Web Browsing: Running your Web browser under the protection of Sandboxie means that all malicious software downloaded by the browser is trapped in the sandbox and can be discarded trivially.
• Enhanced Privacy: Browsing history, cookies, and cached temporary files collected while Web browsing stay in the sandbox and don't leak into Windows.
• Secure E-mail: Viruses and other malicious software that might be hiding in your email can't break out of the sandbox and can't infect your real system.
• Windows Stays Lean: Prevent wear-and-tear in Windows by installing software into an isolated sandbox.
Hardtek1976
join:2011-11-30
North York, ON

1 recommendation

Hardtek1976 to kingdome74

to kingdome74
See Wildcatboy's solution »A safer alternative to installing Java on your PC
19579823 (banned)
An Awesome Dude
join:2003-08-04

19579823 (banned) to ZZZZZZZ

to ZZZZZZZ

I believe they changed most of thier games TO FLASH which sucks donkey dink as they wont load for me now!!!!

NO REASON FOR THEM TO CHANGE WHAT WAS WORKING FINE!!!!!

Styupid morons.......

chrisretusn
Retired
Premium Member
join:2007-08-13
Philippines

3 recommendations

chrisretusn to kingdome74

Premium Member

to kingdome74

Re: Best Solution For Angry Wife

Good gravy, reinstall Java for crying out loud. Your life depends on it.

Seriously, reinstall Java, along with the plug-in, set Java Security to High or Very High. Use Noscript to block except for pogo.com.

You could also disable the Java Plug-in except for when using the Pogo site. There is an extension that with allow doing this without having having to open Add-ons, Plugins and to Enable or Disable. That extension is called Plugins Toggler (»addons.mozilla.org/en-US ··· -toggler). Plugins Toggler lets you enable/disable selected add-ons from a Toolbar icon without having to open Add-ons.

aannoonn
@optonline.net

aannoonn to kingdome74

Anon

to kingdome74
Don't give in to the anti-Java hype. Just install Java and be done with it.

AVD
Premium Member
Onion, NJ

AVD to StuartMW

Premium Member

to StuartMW
said by StuartMW:

Really? I think most are still on Wife 1.0. A few on Wife 2.0 and even fewer on Wife 3.0. Some in Hollywood may've made it to Wife 4.0 but Wife 19.0.0.12???

I'm on wife 2.1 maybe 2.2

kingdome74
Let's Go Orange
Premium Member
Syracuse, NY

kingdome74

Premium Member

I thought of asking about Sandboxie yesterday but I promptly forgot about it. I use it on my computers but I thought it might be a bridge too far for her. Actually considering all she does is surf the web, go to facebook (I've thought about blocking in my router and claim there something wrong with facebook but I couldn't get away with that forever), and play Pogo. I can probably load Sanboxie on her laptop, change the icon to Firefox on her desktop and she'd never know the difference.

Thanks for reminding me!

BTW - this is Wife 0.1 going back before computers were thought of in homes. There will never be a Wife 2.0... once is enough

dandelion
MVM
join:2003-04-29
Germantown, TN

dandelion to Dustyn

MVM

to Dustyn
I also play a java game but it needs to remember (I have files to add onto ) from one game to the other. Will this sandboxie help for this also?

StuartMW
Premium Member

StuartMW to AVD

Premium Member

to AVD
Gotta ask. What does the .1 and .2 refer to?

. o O (10% or 20% of the way towards Wife 3.0?)

AVD
Premium Member
Onion, NJ

1 recommendation

AVD

Premium Member

She's changed.

kingdome74
Let's Go Orange
Premium Member