Search Topic:
uniqs
share rss forum feed

WASD John

join:2006-09-14
New Orleans, LA
reply to JqlNola

Re: [LA] Cox LA Network Upgrades Soon?

I found my speedtest results swung wildly based on the time that I ran them, and network congestion. Typically I have only hit the 200+Mbps range early in the morning.

vasutu

join:2004-01-02
Metairie, LA
reply to Lil0ne7

Weird, any reason why the downstream still seemed capped, but not the upstream? It shot up to 32 and just stuck there and couldn't go any faster, sometimes settling down to 28. Upstream seems about right for Powerboosted Premier

Lil0ne7

join:2005-10-15
Metairie, LA
reply to SlashG42

Slash, thanks I sent him a IM... But no response yet. . Speeds are still the same.

»www.speedtest.net/my-result/i/638610490

JqlNola

join:2011-01-07
Harvey, LA
reply to craig70130

I don't know if the business accounts has been bumped yet or not but the residential account did get bumped on Tuesday in Harvey. The speed wasn't in the 200+ Mb/s like some people showed on their speed test in other areas. The max speed it ever showed for me was around 180-190 Mb/s w/speed boost.

craig70130
Premium
join:2004-04-27
New Orleans, LA
reply to WASD John

Does anyone know if the speed bumps include the Westbank and are business clients included? I'm not seeing anything with my business clients in Metairie or the westbank.

WASD John

New Orleans, LA
reply to Bayoutechla

None of these speed test are real world test. I also have had crazy results from sites further away than new orleans. Typically when you get a slower speedtest from the place closest to you, but that slower speed test is more accurate to your service level then chances are that is indeed indicative of your real world performance.

I have tested our slow business connection to new orleans and had it show what we are actually paying for, and then tested that same connection to gonzales and gotten results showing that we were getting 5 times our actual service level. All I know is that at the end of the day I wasn't pulling anything over what we were paying for in real world performance.

Bayoutechla

join:2013-06-23
New Orleans, LA
Reviews:
·Cox HSI
reply to WASD John

For what it's worth, I'm measuring 44/17 DL/UL through Cox's own Internet Speed Check under Internet Tools.

Here's my latest SpeedTest:

I am also measuring much greater speeds (at least on the download side) by using the farther away sites like Gonzales and Slidell. Perhaps the New Orleans site is getting hammered by everyone checking their new speeds?

WASD John

New Orleans, LA
reply to lil0ne

Hang tight and check it again tomorrow. I bet those that didn't get it today will get it before the week is out.

SlashG42

join:2002-02-13
Metairie, LA
Reviews:
·Cox HSI
·AT&T Southeast
reply to Lil0ne7

PM your cable modem (HFC) MAC address to the cox tech LAIHSHelp »/profile/1743512 along with your problem and zip code. They're pretty good about fixing things here.

You can find the MAC address in the 192.168.100.1 pages. Don't know what model you have, so not sure where it will be. Sometimes under "Addresses."

P.S. NEVER post your MAC address in the forums.

Lil0ne7

Metairie, LA
reply to SlashG42

Slash,

I just did it.. it kind "thought" for a second and then reloaded the page. It did not disconnect from the internet and the modem did not reboot. I tested after hitting that button and then I tested again after a reboot. Same deal.. but thanks for the tip.

smh,

edit:

Just in case this helps::
Modem:
Model Name: SB6120
Vendor Name: Motorola
Firmware Name: SB612X-1.0.5.1-SCM00-NOSH
Boot Version: PSPU-Boot 1.0.0.4m1
Hardware Version: 3.0
Firmware Build Time: Dec 21 2010 15:52:06

Router:
ASUS RT-AC66U
Latest official firmware.

SlashG42

join:2002-02-13
Metairie, LA
reply to lil0ne

Tried going to »192.168.100.1 then Configuration and doing reset defaults?

nola504

join:2012-12-22
New Orleans
reply to lil0ne

Don't worry lil0ne, you aren't the only one. Same here in Arabi. Nothing like waiting this long only to get shafted. Hopefully LAHSIhelp can live up to his reputation.

lil0ne

@cox.net
reply to LAHSIhelp

In metairie.. missing the party!

JeffinNOLA

@cox.net
reply to Lil0ne7

I get a big burst to 80 then it settles down to what it should be. Upload goes to 30 and also settles back down. The COX speedtest gives somehat faster results.

»www.speedtest.net/result/2973881402.png

Lil0ne7

Metairie, LA
reply to LAHSIhelp

Boooooo! I am in metairie!

blakej06

join:2006-08-23
Reviews:
·Cox HSI
reply to LAHSIhelp

this is ultimate 150/20 with ALOT of powerboost

LAHSIhelp

join:2010-07-12
Baton Rouge, LA
reply to WASD John

Here are the new COX HSI speeds for the New Orleans metro area.
Product Download Upload Download w/PB Upload w/PB
Starter 1M 384K N/A N/A
Essential 5M 1M N/A N/A
Preferred 25M 5M 31M 6M
Premier 50M 10M 63M 13M
Ultimate 150M 20M 188M 25M

Please post your speeds results on the forum today!

kv2009

join:2009-09-14
Kenner, LA

1 edit
reply to WASD John

said by LAHSIhelp:

Look for a Speed Upgrade to happen next week in the NOLA area.

Yep, this week alright! Just got up and watched my modem reboot...decided I'd see if the speeds had changed and they have..nice!

LAHSIhelp

join:2010-07-12
Baton Rouge, LA
reply to WASD John

Look for a Speed Upgrade to happen next week in the NOLA area.

exocet_cm
Free at last, free at last
Premium
join:2003-03-23
New Orleans, LA
kudos:3

1 recommendation

reply to Rakeesh

Post here with the issues you are running in to: »No, I Will Not Fix Your #@$!! Computer

bluee

join:2013-08-31
Arabi, LA

2 recommendations

reply to WASD John

What's really sad is though you are already being raped on price as a business customer you do not get an SLA unless you get fiber pulled to you. You are essentially signing a contract to pay them for several years and they don't even guarantee service. It's a complete insult.

Someone is sabotaging me.Finding out who
Premium
join:2001-06-03
Kenner, LA
reply to WASD John

I love that we have a computer person in New Orleans because it is so hard to find one around here.

Most people are just computer users.

Rakeesh

join:2011-10-30
Mesa, AZ
Reviews:
·Sprint Mobile Br..
·Cox HSI
reply to exocet_cm

I'm kind of thinking about running a hypervisor on my server as well. Right now it runs linux, but I can't find an equivalent for blueiris for a camera system I am building. I've got zoneminder, but I'm having a very hard time setting it up, and its feature set isn't as good.

Optimus2357
Premium
join:2010-11-21
West Warwick, RI
reply to Anon

All those Linux distros, hmm? All 4TB of them.

WASD John

New Orleans, LA
reply to Anon

My overall experience with Cox business is that it is much slower, and exponentially more expensive than residential services (at least for internet). The only plus side to Cox business for internet is that they don't have a cap on monthly total bandwidth like the residential service does. Overall the price difference between residential and business internet is INSANE. I don't know who prices out business but they easily charge 4 times as much because the word business is mentioned.

Expand your moderator at work

exocet_cm
Free at last, free at last
Premium
join:2003-03-23
New Orleans, LA
reply to Anon

Re: [LA] Cox LA Network Upgrades Soon?

said by 90115534:

Cool! What kind of servers ?

Physical: HP DL 380 G5 series and Dell PowerEdge 2950 series running VMware ESXi 5.1. NF500 storage arrays for iSCSI storage.
Virtual: Server 2008 R2 and Server 2012.
Expand your moderator at work