uniqs
DirtySouth
join:2013-03-31
Lafayette, LA

1 edit

DirtySouth to WASD John

to WASD John

Re: [LA] Cox LA Network Upgrades Soon?

Hey guys. Im new here. From the Lafayette area.
I have the cox internet package which is stated at being 25mb down and 5mb up
Im paying 35$ for the first 3 months. Awesome bargain if you ask me.

Now I wanted to share some great info on my upgrade from modems.
I did have the old Docsis 2.0 Motorola 5101. I never changed the internet package. Just changed the modem. I got a new Zoom 5341J.
Holy cow. Dudes! Ok let me say that the speednet tests results for the Motorola were always around 20mb to 23mb down and around 6 to 9mb up. Ping was always about 10 to 15ms with that modem.
When I upgraded to the zoom. OMg! I now have just over 30 to over 40mb down. and 20mb to 25mbs up. Ping is same. But how the hell am I getting such high down load speeds? The Docsis 3 modem!

I highly suggest for you guys to get this modem.

Also I logged into my modem.
I see Im getting 8channels bonded down and 4 bonded up!

Super awesome for me. And yes Im right here in Lafayette right next to River Ranch. Looks like they have done an upgrade in my area Just recently. Anybody else confirm the upgrade here?

mnkyboy
join:2006-04-23
New Orleans, LA

mnkyboy to WASD John

to WASD John
I live in Metairie. Im currently using a Moto SB5101 (DOCSIS 2), using the "up to 15Mbps" plan. Using speedtest.net, the most ive ever seen was around 22MBps. During peak hours, I get a crappy 4-5MBps. Other times, 10-12Mbps.

Has anyone upgraded to a DOCSIS 3 modem? I see they are going for around $60-70 now. Is it worth upgrading? I would be happy with getting a consistent 15Mbps...
pcostanza
join:2002-05-05
Metairie, LA

pcostanza

I have the SB6120 and live in Metairie and am getting 20-21 down and 4-5 up every time I run speed test. I've not seen any speed increases and I'm paying for the '15' or preferred service.
Guess the update hasn't been completed yet though I was told I should see something in mid March.
JDookie
join:2005-04-29
New Orleans, LA

JDookie to mnkyboy

to mnkyboy
said by mnkyboy:

I live in Metairie. Im currently using a Moto SB5101 (DOCSIS 2), using the "up to 15Mbps" plan. Using speedtest.net, the most ive ever seen was around 22MBps. During peak hours, I get a crappy 4-5MBps. Other times, 10-12Mbps.

Has anyone upgraded to a DOCSIS 3 modem? I see they are going for around $60-70 now. Is it worth upgrading? I would be happy with getting a consistent 15Mbps...

Short answer.....yes. I pay for Cox internet in three different locations, and am using Docsis 3.0 modems in each location. The different is night and day. No more speed fluctuations at all, and I mean NONE. Two of the three locations, I get the *exact* advertised speeds 24/7. In the third location, although I am paying for Preferred, I am getting 25 down and 20 up. No clue how I'm getting that fast up speed, but I'm certainly not complaining, and it has been like that for well over a year now.

By the way, I recommend going to the Cox service center on Airline Hwy and buying the new modem. It's not expensive, and they will warranty it for a year. Any issues, and they just swap it out for a new one. I'm not sure how much they are selling them for these days, but back when I bought my first D3 modem, which was around two years ago, the modems were selling online for $125-$150, and Cox sold one to me for $75. It may be even cheaper now, not sure though.

JeffinNOLA
@cox.net

JeffinNOLA to WASD John

Anon

to WASD John
Download Speed: 20495 kbps (2561.9 KB/sec transfer rate)
Upload Speed: 4340 kbps (542.5 KB/sec transfer rate)
Latency: 19 ms
Monday, April 01, 2013 6:52:40 PM
SlashG42
join:2002-02-13
Metairie, LA
·AT&T FTTP

SlashG42

Click for full size
Zip 70002.

12:22am 4/5/13, Cox reset my connection to turn on upstream channel bonding. Was bonding 4 down 1 up. Now bonding 8 down, 3 up.

Old speed was 32mbps down, 5mbps up. Now 32mbps down and 16-20mbps up.

When they were testing channel bonding in this area about a year ago, it was 8 down and 4 up channel bonding. Wonder why they aren't using the 4th channel?
mnkyboy
join:2006-04-23
New Orleans, LA

mnkyboy

I purchased a SB6121 today.

So far it gives me a very consistent speed. Granted, Ive only ran speed test in the course of 30 minutes. Ill continue to run test and compare them to other times of the day ive run in the past.

I have the Preferred Cox plan (up to 15Mbps)

»img715.imageshack.us/img ··· 6121.png
SlashG42
Metairie, LA

SlashG42 to WASD John

to WASD John
LOL @ "Soon"
nola504
join:2012-12-22
New Orleans

nola504 to WASD John

to WASD John
Well since we get 0 information from Cox on their upgrade plans and it's been months since markets started receiving their upgrades, I'll go ahead and wildly speculate that we will receive our upgrades around mid August. Too bad we don't have competition like Baton Rouge and Lafayette because we would probably have them already. I actually like Cox as my provider but the fact they won't give any sense of their upgrade time frame really is frustrating.

kv2009
join:2009-09-14
Kenner, LA

kv2009 to WASD John

to WASD John
You know, to be quite honest, I'm surprised that this area hasn't had it's upgrade yet. There are so many AT&T 2Wire routers around here now as opposed to a year ago. You'd think that would get Cox's attention.

Bill Neilson
Premium Member
join:2009-07-08
Alexandria, VA

Bill Neilson

Premium Member

You ain't kidding. As I have said in some other threads, I switched from Cox to UVerse the minute I could in NOLA two years or so ago.

And virtually everyone I know has done the same...why? Because of the service.

UVerse costs more but the Internet is quite solid and the techs who came to my place knew what they were doing.....two KNOWN issues for Cox.

I have lived in several major cities throughout the last 10 years.....and I have never seen an ISP so universally disliked by a city that they frankly own

kv2009
Kenner, LA
·Cox HSI

kv2009 to WASD John

to WASD John
Well I don't hate them and in fact, we've had very reliable service for the last few years now - but that's just me. Others have left Cox and switched over to U-Verse for many reasons. There are six AT&T 2Wire wireless routers viewable from just one side of my house and I don't live in in an apartment or condo. Maybe they became tired of paying for things they weren't getting, I don't know. I'm just speculating and I don't like to do that, but there was obviously something wrong to make them switch, or something very right with AT&T's new customer offers.

Anyway, my monthly bill was raised substantially this year and I still have no speed upgrade. When my bill jumps up in price, I expect it to be for something. And nothing has happened. "Here pay more and you'll get speed upgrades and other things....when it happens." Well it's May now and there are still no upgrades. The only "upgrade" in service that I've seen which really isn't an upgrade, is that my DVR capacity was FINALLY increased to 500GB from the previous 160GB limit that was put on most if not all of Cox DVRs. I say "upgrade" because that limit should never have been put there in the first place.

So bottom lining it, and it's kind of repetitive I know...I pay a higher monthly bill and still have no benefit from this increase in monthly payment. And that annoys me.
tornadog
join:2008-12-02
Baton Rouge, LA

tornadog

I have been away from Cox for a while. How is their Ultimate speeds. The ad says upto 150Mbps, is that a realistic figure?

kv2009
Kenner, LA
·Cox HSI

kv2009

said by tornadog:

I have been away from Cox for a while. How is their Ultimate speeds. The ad says upto 150Mbps, is that a realistic figure?

If you're in Baton Rouge, you'll get some pretty crazy speeds on Ultimate. I've seen speeds of other users on Ultimate hit 180Mbps down / 30Mbps up (Powerboost). You'll need an 8x4 modem to reliably achieve those figures though.
SlashG42
Metairie, LA

SlashG42 to tornadog

to tornadog
In Baton Rouge, yes. In New Orleans, not yet.

dvd536
as Mr. Pink as they come
Premium Member
join:2001-04-27
Phoenix, AZ

dvd536 to WASD John

Premium Member

to WASD John
nice but what are the non powerboost poisoned speeds?

kv2009
Kenner, LA
·Cox HSI

kv2009

said by dvd536:

nice but what are the non powerboost poisoned speeds?

Well if you can achieve 180, I'm sure you can sustain 150. And since my area isn't upgraded yet, I don't know this from personal experience. Sustained rates are advertised at 150Mbps down / 20Mbps up.
SlashG42
Metairie, LA

SlashG42 to WASD John

to WASD John
4 months now....

kv2009
Kenner, LA
·Cox HSI

kv2009

said by SlashG42:

4 months now....

5 lol. If deployment is this slow in Kenner and Metairie, I can only imagine when this area will finally have it's official tier upgrades.

*wow, timing*

And just as I was typing that, my modem shutdown, and rebooted. Upstream frequencies seem to have been changed on my node and either new downstream frequencies have been added or they have changed as well.

Upstream changes that I've noticed so far.

31.25MHz changed to 31.20MHz
24.85MHz changed to 25.40MHz

I don't know what other upstream frequencies there are being pumped through the grid though and I'm still at 2.56Msym/sec @ 25.4MHz right now

My downstream frequencies have changed from the 800MHz range to the 600MHz-700MHz range which has in turn leveled my power levels from -8dbmv and -9dbmv across all frequencies to 0dbmv across the board.

Upstream speeds on the new frequencies seem to have slightly increased...seemingly from a 5Mbps Powerboosted cap to about a 5.7Mbps Powerboosted cap. Normal upload speed caps seem to still be in place at about 2.9Mbps. Download speeds are the same.

New CMTS MAC ID as well, which shows to be a Cisco unit...so that's positive news!

Still no upstream bonding though - but one step closer!
blakej06
join:2006-08-23

blakej06

25.40Mhz 2.56Msysm/sec
31.20Mhz 5.12Msysm/sec
37.60Mhz 2.56Msysm/sec

those are the upstream frequencies i have but they are bonding all 3

and these are the downstreams usually available if you have an 8 channel modem 687,693,699,705 and 849,855,861,867 Mhz
blakej06

blakej06 to kv2009

to kv2009
25.40 2.56Msysm/sec
31.20 5.12Msysm/sec
37.60 2.56Msysm/sec

those are the upstream frequencies i have but they are bonding all 3
and there are probably 8 channels available to you now
687-693-699-705 Mhz and 849-855-861-867 Mhz downstream if you have an 8 channel modem

Cox User
@cox.net

Cox User to WASD John

Anon

to WASD John
The speeds will increase as soon as Cox NOLA has upgraded all of their CMTS's to 3GX60 Hardware and DS-384 RFGW hardware..... end of Aug or early Sept is when I would expect it.....
nola504
New Orleans

nola504

Ha ha. My guess earlier in the thread of August may not be that far off huh. I guess after getting shafted by Cox for almost 10 years I know what to expect.
SlashG42
Metairie, LA

SlashG42 to blakej06

to blakej06
blakej06,

Exactly what I'm seeing too. In Metairie zip 70002.
WASD John
join:2006-09-14
New Orleans, LA

WASD John

Click for full size
Cox Upgrade
As I had said an update would be coming sometime in the near future. It is getting very close to being activated in our market. Expect speeds that are already in Baton Rouge. In the meantime Cox sent me an email today!
nola504
New Orleans

nola504

Your sense of time must be as bad as Cox. Near future aka 8 to 9 months later.
At least they finally gave some information.

exocet_cm
Writing
Premium Member
join:2003-03-23
Brooklyn, NY

exocet_cm to WASD John

Premium Member

to WASD John
I see the fine print is for residential customers. Guess no joy for the business class folk...
Expand your moderator at work