yhp
join:2006-12-27
Philadelphia, PA

yhp to Mike Wolf

to Mike Wolf

Re: [DVR] External DVR Storage

said by Mike Wolf:

Your mileage may vary. »forums.comcast.com/t5/Xf ··· 7#M65656

Thanks for the direct URL. I was aware that the DCX3400 hadn't passed testing. LOL'ed this:
quote:
The exact issues observed are actually confidential and proprietary.

where "confidential and proprietary" == embarrassing.

The Comcast DVR model as is is to keep the single internal drive spinning 24/7 unless you remove the Motorola STB from a power source. Failure is not only an option, it's pretty surely an inevitability.

I figure my newly purchased external has a good year of service in it. My DCX3400, however, is old enough that if this were my home desktop system, I'd be busy about replacing the drive simply because it's time. Losing recordings is part and parcel of any DRM-controlled ecosystem. It goes with the territory.

teddystacker
join:2001-12-08
Philadelphia, PA

teddystacker

@yhp - Well said , when I connected my External 2TB drive to my "un supported" DCX3400 I am actually expecting it to fail at any time , just as I am with the internal drive that's almost Four years old

Getting the most of of these devices and pushing them to their limits (without doing anything illegal) is what gives people like me a buzz , I have never been and never will be a "off the shelf" person. But I have the greatest respect for those people that are scared they may loose all their recorded seasons of Desperate Housewives or Katie.... but in the real world they run about the same risk as I do , The so called "support" people at Comcast or WD don't have much chance of recovering data once the bearing in a drive fail as they often do..

Sunny
Runs from Clowns

join:2001-08-19

Sunny to yhp

to yhp

(topic move) [DVR] Spin Down Feature

Moderator Action
The post that was here (and all 9 followups to it), has been moved to a new topic .. »[Comcast Equip] Spin Down Feature