spacer

how-to block ads

Search Topic:
uniqs
share rss forum feed

Stescotty

join:2013-01-30

Router speeds vs Modem Speeds

I've been with Start for 4 Days so far and no complaints. However I do have a question.

I have a linksys router (that I have turned off wireless) and have connected directly through LAN.

When running speedtest (through speedtest.net) my download speeds range around 17 - 22 Mb/s.The service I have purchased it the 30 Mb/s.

NOW, when I connect directly to the Modem and do a speedtest, I get the 30Mb/s in heartbeat.

So addding a 3 foot Cat 6 cable and new linksys modem kill almost 10Mb/s?

Am I missing something?

NOTE: I have also used another Router with the same result.

rocca
Start.ca
Premium
join:2008-11-16
London, ON
kudos:23
Unfortunately many less expensive or older routers aren't capable of handling the full speeds (ie their CPU maxes out). I recently picked up an Asus RT-N66U and it's excellent, others have reported good results with the less expensive RT-N16.

Stescotty

I am tempted to create a Linux Router on a desktop just to see if it helps!

Teddy Boom
k kudos Received
Premium
join:2007-01-29
Toronto, ON
kudos:21
reply to rocca
said by rocca:

Unfortunately many less expensive or older routers aren't capable of handling the full speeds (ie their CPU maxes out). I recently picked up an Asus RT-N66U and it's excellent, others have reported good results with the less expensive RT-N16.

For whatever reason, RAM makes a difference in speed too. A 200MHz WRT-54G with 16MB RAM is good for around 28mbit/s if not much else is running. The WRT-54G-TM with 32MB RAM is good for about 32mbit/s.

Lots and lots of modern routers have 300MHz+ CPUs and 32MB RAM, and I expect those should be good for current speeds at Start, but not much more.

The routers rocca is suggesting are a big upgrade from that even. The RT-N16 has a 500MHz CPU and 128MB RAM, the RT-N66U has 600MHz CPU and 256MB RAM.

Linksys Routers:
»en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Linksys_ro···#WRT150N
Asus Routers:
»en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Asus_routers

You also need to consider whether you need dual band or not. The RT-N16 only does 2.4GHz networking. The RT-N66U is simultaneous dual band, so it does both 2.4GHz and 5GHz networking.

The 2.4GHz spectrum is very crowded. Best to move to 5GHz in old construction apartment buildings or very dense residential neighbourhoods (where all the houses are broken up into multiple apartments--'student ghettos'). New condos (with re-enforced concrete walls that block wifi signals) and less dense residential are still okay at 2.4GHz.

Of course all your gear has to support 5GHz. Getting a dual band router when none of your computers can connect to 5GHz is somewhat pointless.
--
electronicsguru.ca

mlord

join:2006-11-05
Nepean, ON
kudos:13
reply to Stescotty
Don't forget to switch QoS completely OFF on the router before doing the speed tests -- lots of people forget about that and later on discover the QoS was throttling things..

fazeTO

join:2011-03-22
reply to Stescotty
Just to echo what others have said. The RT-N66U is a beast. Love this router. Really happy with my purchase. Plus you can install some custom firmware to add some extra features. I installed merlin for the openVPN client extras. Well worth the $$.

jasmo34

join:2008-03-20
London, ON
reply to Stescotty
And once again, this shows that asking the customer to remove the router for trouble-shooting, is not BS, as many seem to believe. (I used to also doubt the purpose of this, even back on DSL support calls!)

Customer-supplied Routers are NOT part of the supported service! It COULD be a router hardware problem, or just an ill-advised setting in the router. It must be eliminated as a potential problem spot.

It is basic trouble-shooting, right up there with doing a FACTORY RESET of the cable modem (and that is NOT just a power cycle!).

Slightly related... Rocca, did you not announce one new combo cable modem & wireless router available for purchase and/or rental, for those interested in such a device? Was that approved for Rogers or Cogeco?

Shikomu

join:2007-11-16
Ontario
Reviews:
·Start Communicat..
reply to Stescotty
When I first joined start Cable from DSL I just used my 3 year old Asus wl-520gu and found my speed maxed out on the wifi at 20 Meg. Cable to Router and full 30 Meg. When I looked at the Router specs it said 50 Megs Wireless. More research I found whatever is advertised cut it in half. Cable to router spec is 100 Meg. Until I buy a new router I left it with Network cable to router.

rocca
Start.ca
Premium
join:2008-11-16
London, ON
kudos:23
reply to jasmo34
said by jasmo34:

Rocca, did you not announce one new combo cable modem & wireless router available for purchase and/or rental, for those interested in such a device? Was that approved for Rogers or Cogeco?

Yes, the DCW775 is a combo unit - approved on the Red network.

Stescotty

Interestingly enough...a new Router (used from a friend for testing) proved to be the answer. I get 30Mbs/2Mbs.

Appreciate the insight.

BTW....Convincing people to switch to Start is no challenging at all!!!!

Davesnothere
No-BHELL-ity DOES have its Advantages
Premium
join:2009-06-15
START Today!
kudos:7

1 edit
reply to mlord
said by mlord:

Don't forget to switch QoS completely OFF on the router before doing the speed tests -- lots of people forget about that and later on discover the QoS was throttling things..

That happened to ME once.

Davesnothere
Premium
START Today!
reply to rocca
said by rocca:

My trusty Linksys WRT54GL is just fine at 20/1.5 and also was at 30/2 prior to that, when I was on retail Cogeco service.

I was shopping for a newer router and discovered that I did not NEED one.

That was with the latest factory firmware, though I switched to Tomato later for its QoS features.

I currently have the QoS disabled, but just updated to latest Shibby build #105 (Jan 23, 2013), and will be trying QoS again soon.

rik555

join:2012-02-16
Windsor, ON
Reviews:
·Start Communicat..

4 edits
reply to Stescotty
I guess, in a pinch, a $59 TP-LINK "TL-WR1043ND" is a good, and cheap, choice for the budget minded ...
I've had NO problems, including my recent profile-upgrade, with it keeping up with anything !, ..., for over a year now, and it's chock full of a lot of modern features that the average home-router/wireless User could ever need.

However, at the extremes of future gaming, ..., and/or streaming +1080p and higher faithfully/wirelessly, the Asus RT-N66U (dusl-band) really does look to be a "beast" - it'll definitely be my next network-upgrade.

Davesnothere
Premium
START Today!
said by rik555:

I guess, in a pinch, a $59 TP-LINK "TL-WR1043ND" is a good, and cheap, choice for the budget minded....

Hopefully not TOO cheap - CHEAP is a 4-Letter word in MY vocabulary. (implying poor quality)

But that router model is generally of reasonable reputation, and I have used one of their modems and was pleased with it.

ALL of the TP-Link stuff seems to be targetted for the budget-conscious folks, and is fairly decent as well.
--

We have only 2 things about which to worry :
(1) That things may never get back to normal
(2) That they already HAVE !
-
START Forum »Start Communications
Or you can still use Canadian Broadband.

mlord

join:2006-11-05
Nepean, ON
kudos:13
Reviews:
·Start Communicat..
reply to Davesnothere
said by Davesnothere:

My trusty Linksys WRT54GL is just fine at 20/1.5 and also was at 30/2 prior to that, when I was on retail Cogeco service.

I was shopping for a newer router and discovered that I did not NEED one.

I was running speed tests through a Start.ca Cable connected WRT54GL earlier today, and it was handling Speedboost at 50mbits/sec just fine, and had no troubles keeping up with a 35/3 connection and beyond.

That's with QoS turned off in the Tomato firmware. I imagine it might slow down if one was running heavy torrents or something directly from the LAN behind it, rather than via a VPN tunnel running on a PC, but..

jmck
formerly 'shaded'

join:2010-10-02
Ottawa, ON
yeah, my WRT54GS v7 is doing fine with the 45/4 speeds. i had a much older WRT54G (not sure which version) years ago that had trouble with the 50mbit from Rogers on the WAN.