Premium,VIP
join:2006-06-23
Chatham, ON
kudos:28

1 recommendation

reply to TwiztedZero

Re: CNOC speed matching decision due next week

said by TwiztedZero:

OK Marc & WHOA, yeah that post certainly helped me see the LIGHT with some clairity after being rocked by the earlier news on the decision.

said by TSI Marc :

We will go from having 100+ links to 10-15 (10gig) links...

Also, now that I can see reason for the denial of the speed matching request in light of your post description, it doesn't feel quite so doomy & gloomy

I think I'll hang on and wait for your follow up post(s) regarding the transitioning plans with a reduced anxiety level before venturing the bazillion questions teeming at the back of this skull of mine.

Yeah, I think this was actually a measured response by the CRTC and frankly by Rogers too.

Now, dont get me wrong, I'd have preferred the higher upload speeds and I'd have upgraded the existing network and done anything to make it work either way but it did make for extra investment into something that's getting dropped... it still does make for more investment but less now to some degree.

As far as what it means for us.. frankly, I dont think it will do all that much in the way of new signups and people migrating since it's just a few months away in most cases and everybody knows they're going to get the upgrade anyway...

at a glance this is what everybody can expect (I'm still confirming this)

once we move to Aggregated-TPIA existing users who are on these speeds will automatically get converted as below:

18 goes to 25
28 goes to 35
32 goes to 45
75 goes to 150
--
Marc - CEO/TekSavvy

Webslingerac

join:2004-05-01
canada

This CRTC decision in addition to suffering on the McNicoll POI during Prime Time is a tough pill to swallow.

Bren27

@centtric.com
reply to TSI Marc

i am wondering, with the switch to Agg coming in March, will Teksavvy be able to offer the higher rogers packages, Example 75 or 150?

darrylr

join:2003-02-10
Nepean, ON
reply to TSI Marc

Marc,

Will you still offer the unlimited Ontario cable packages once we're on aggregated POIs? If so will the price move up because of aggregated POI?

I'm currently on the 28/1 unlimited pack.

TSI Marc
Premium,VIP
Chatham, ON

1 recommendation

said by darrylr:

Marc,

Will you still offer the unlimited Ontario cable packages once we're on aggregated POIs? If so will the price move up because of aggregated POI?

for sure... hell yeah. what good is an awesome internet connection if you cant use it!
--
Marc - CEO/TekSavvy

TSI Marc
Premium,VIP
Chatham, ON

1 recommendation

reply to darrylr

said by darrylr:

Marc,

The bigger issue for pricing is the pending CRTC - Capacity Based Billing decision. That's what will determine any price changes if any.
--
Marc - CEO/TekSavvy

InvalidError

join:2008-02-03
kudos:5

1 recommendation

said by TSI Marc:

The bigger issue for pricing is the pending CRTC - Capacity Based Billing decision. That's what will determine any price changes if any.

My most optimistic bet is 6k$/Gbps, my pessimistic bet is 15k$.

Some of the way the fees are structured needs to be revisited: if an incumbent refuses to offer 10GbE unless there is at least a 3Gbps commit, it means the incumbent puts too much of the port fee in the per-Gbps component so some of that cost appears to be obviously misplaced - the port fee should be higher but per-Gbps fees revised downward by an equivalent amount so incumbents have no reason to object to ports with 0Gbps on them.

The way peak traffic gets calculated should be based on aggregate rather than individual links. The rigid per-link commitment puts crippling arbitrary limits on service - the incumbent is already aggregating your 70+Gbps of traffic to your aggregated-POI, it makes no difference (risk-wise and cost-wise) whether you receive it over 7x10G or 10x10G... other than the incumbent receiving extra rent for the extra 10G ports.

Those issues did not get as much attention as they deserved in 703/704.

TwiztedZero
Nine Zero Burp Nine Six
Premium
join:2011-03-31
Toronto, ON
kudos:5
reply to Bren27

said by Bren27 :

i am wondering, with the switch to Agg coming in March, will Teksavvy be able to offer the higher rogers packages, Example 75 or 150?

TSI Marc See Profile allready mentioned that in his post above. 75 or 150
--
----|- From the mind located in the shadows of infinity -|----
Nine.Zero.Burp.Nine.Six
Twitter = Twizted Zero
Chat = irc.teksavvy.ca

join:2007-09-06
Etobicoke, ON
reply to TSI Marc

said by TSI Marc:

said by darrylr:

Marc,

for sure... hell yeah. what good is an awesome internet connection if you cant use it!

I really hope so. TSI is my only option with the pathetic options Start offers at the moment they cannot even be considered.

Cranky_bob

@uottawa.ca
reply to TSI Marc

I don't understand the speed changes after aggregate, who currently has 32, or 75 download with teksavvy, i thought their highest package is 28/1 which is what i have. How does one get access to the 32 or 75 service?

Kewjoe

join:2002-04-14
North York, ON

My understanding is Teksavvy gained access to the 32 and 75 profiles recently but it's not worth upgrading the infrastructure to offer those speeds. Reason being the move to aggregate would make that investment mostly wasted.

resa1983
Premium
join:2008-03-10
North York, ON
kudos:10

said by Kewjoe:

My understanding is Teksavvy gained access to the 32 and 75 profiles recently but it's not worth upgrading the infrastructure to offer those speeds. Reason being the move to aggregate would make that investment mostly wasted.

This. Teksavvy is already in process of figuring the schedule with Rogers to convert everything to Aggregated, and following the new Capacity Based Billing rates which should be out sometime this month, Teksavvy may be more able to afford to offer the higher speeds without going broke.

As it is now, if someone were to purchase the 150/10 package on aggregated, Teksavvy wouldn't be able to come close to matching Rogers' price for it due to the ~$1200/100mbps price on capacity.
--
Battle.net Tech Support MVP

sunnyd71

join:2004-05-22
l7z2t4

said by resa1983:

said by Kewjoe:

This. Teksavvy is already in process of figuring the schedule with Rogers to convert everything to Aggregated, and following the new Capacity Based Billing rates which should be out sometime this month, Teksavvy may be more able to afford to offer the higher speeds without going broke.

As it is now, if someone were to purchase the 150/10 package on aggregated, Teksavvy wouldn't be able to come close to matching Rogers' price for it due to the ~$1200/100mbps price on capacity.

Are we sure the CBB pricing decision is coming this/next month? I've been looking for any indication of this and I can't find it. Can you provide more info?

resa1983
Premium
join:2008-03-10
North York, ON
kudos:10

said by sunnyd71:

said by resa1983:

said by Kewjoe:

Are we sure the CBB pricing decision is coming this/next month? I've been looking for any indication of this and I can't find it. Can you provide more info?

Just rumours.
Nothing this upcoming week because of the wireless code of conduct hearings tho.
--
Battle.net Tech Support MVP

Jaxom

join:2012-03-10
East York, ON
reply to TSI Marc

said by TSI Marc:

That's what will determine any price changes if any.

We have had a lot of price increases lately. Would rather keep my 28 speed with no price increase thanks.