vue666
Small block Chevies rule
Premium
join:2007-12-07
Halifax, NS
kudos:1
reply to Guspaz

Re: Futureshop/Bestbuy abruptly shut down a dozen stores

I wonder if Radio Shack will ever make a come back in Canada....

salshk

join:2013-02-01
Brampton, ON
reply to Guspaz
Trust me guys...I have seen stores closing while they are expanding...sometimes the expansion team has no idea what the top notch are thinking !! source may survive little while more cause of the BELL support...but how long is the question !!

elwoodblues
Elwood Blues
Premium
join:2006-08-30
Somewhere in
kudos:2
reply to donoreo

said by donoreo See ProfileYou slow. I posted that earlier.

MEH

donoreo
Premium
join:2002-05-30
North York, ON

1 edit
reply to elwoodblues
said by elwoodblues:

said by Guspaz

So, how is The Soruce still in business? Are people just too dumb to shop around? Everything that doesn't have a manufacturer-set price is ridiculously overpriced at The Source, even compared to FutureShop!

And they're expanding .

You slow. I posted that earlier.
--
The irony of common sense, it is not that common.
I cannot deny anything I did not say.
A kitten dies every time someone uses "then" and "than" incorrectly.
I mock people who give their children odd spelling of names.

elwoodblues
Elwood Blues
Premium
join:2006-08-30
Somewhere in
kudos:2
Reviews:
·VMedia
reply to Guspaz
[BQUOTE=Guspaz

So, how is The Soruce still in business? Are people just too dumb to shop around? Everything that doesn't have a manufacturer-set price is ridiculously overpriced at The Source, even compared to FutureShop!
[/BQUOTE

And they're expanding .
--
No, I didn't. Honest... I ran out of gas. I... I had a flat tire. I didn't have enough money for cab fare. My tux didn't come back from the cleaners. An old friend came in from out of town. Someone stole my car. There was an earthquake.......

Guspaz
Guspaz
Premium,MVM
join:2001-11-05
Montreal, QC
kudos:23
reply to Guspaz
Maybe somebody ported iTunes to GS/OS? :P

IIgs
Premium
join:2002-10-05
Montreal, QC
reply to Guspaz
No Macs. Well, not really (my Powerbook G4 keyboard went south, Mac Mini G4 is missing the powersupply). I'm a PC guy mainly.

My brother is a big Mac user though, I'm sure he could use iTune credit if worse comes to worse.

Guspaz
Guspaz
Premium,MVM
Montreal, QC
reply to Guspaz
If you've got a mac, you can use the iTunes credit to buy something on the mac app store :P

Grab yourself a copy of Mountain Lion for example
--
Developer: Tomato/MLPPP, Linux/MLPPP, etc »fixppp.org

IIgs
Premium
Montreal, QC
reply to Guspaz
Good idea, using the Futureshop gift cards to buy other gift cards (though maybe not an iTunes card, don't have a working iOS device at the moment). If I get stuck, I'll go with that option.

Only other things I could think of is a game console or memory cards...

Guspaz
Guspaz
Premium,MVM
Montreal, QC
reply to Guspaz
Here's a hint: you can use Futureshop gift cards to buy iTunes gift cards, or any other sort of card that they sell (such as pay as you go).

I did that once. Had some Futureshop gift card money left, didn't have anything to buy, wanted to clear it out. Bought an iTunes gift card and loaded it into my Apple account right away, knowing I would eventually use that as I occasionally buy apps.
--

IIgs
Premium
Montreal, QC
reply to TOPDAWG
said by TOPDAWG:

yes it could and fact is if you ask me being as both are US owned by the best buy backers future shop is the brand they would kill off first. Future Shop is not a world wide brand unlike best buy so that is the brand they would want to keep.

Now this happening over night is not going to happen at least I don't think it would. If worse comes to worse gift cards from both places can be used on both companies web-sites.

As long as BestBuy Canada remains I wouldn't worry about redeeming gift cards through them (they're the same company, much like Loblaws owning the Quebec chains Provigo and Maxi; same store, just a different banner).

What I'm concerned about is the parent company vanishing overnight, then Futureshop AND my gift cards are toast.

I still remember when Eaton's was struggling and closing stores in the late 90's. I immediately cashed any gift certificates I had--good thing, as two years later they folded.

TOPDAWG
Premium
join:2005-04-27
Midland, ON
kudos:3
Reviews:
·TekSavvy DSL
reply to Guspaz
cause most people don't shop around. they just go in a store see what they want then buy it. So if they happen to go into the source first see their item they buy it there.

The source also having a much smaller footprint then future shop may also seem a lot less over whelming to some folks. Its also a lot easier to get help in the source as shit they're so small when you walk into the door you damn near knock down the workers. Well easy to get help unless someone is looking into a cell phone cause then fuck everyone else in the store as those cell phones margins are insane.

Guspaz
Guspaz
Premium,MVM
Montreal, QC
reply to corster
said by corster:

The Source's entire business model is around convenience for overpriced accessories - things that people don't want to order online and wait days for, like cables, batteries, etc. So think about it - far lower operating costs than the big box stores (fewer staff, less square footage), more high margin accessory SKUs, plus their business being a proxy for Bell....

But how is The Source any more convenient than the Futureshop that was across the street and had better prices? And better service? And better selection? And better opening hours?
--

TOPDAWG
Premium
Midland, ON
Reviews:
·TekSavvy DSL
reply to IIgs
yes it could and fact is if you ask me being as both are US owned by the best buy backers future shop is the brand they would kill off first. Future Shop is not a world wide brand unlike best buy so that is the brand they would want to keep.

Now this happening over night is not going to happen at least I don't think it would. If worse comes to worse gift cards from both places can be used on both companies web-sites.

No idea why they don't do this in-stone too and why they seem to want to keep the brands separate or give the illusion that both brands are not the same company.

Maybe it was the deal when buying future shop and was easier to piggyback on that to enter the cdn market then bring the best buy brand into Canada all by itself.

IIgs
Premium
Montreal, QC
reply to Guspaz
said by Guspaz:

BestBuy in the US is in crisis right now, yes. They closed down 100 stores amidst plummeting sales, had their upper management shaken by a sex scandal that caused the ouster of the CEO, and the founder of the company is trying to buy out the rest of it and take it private.

Is there a possibility the Futureshop chain will go defunct in the near future?

It would suck if all my Futureshop gift cards become worthless overnight. I'm debating whether to rush out and buy something, anything, before that happens.

donoreo
Premium
join:2002-05-30
North York, ON
reply to corster
said by corster:

said by Guspaz:

The Source's entire business model is around convenience for overpriced accessories. Far lower operating costs than the big box stores (fewer staff, less square footage), more high margin accessory SKUs.

Back when resistors were 99 cents for 5, people would complain that they could order from Electrosonic for way less. I used to tell them to think of us as a convenience store, bread was cheaper at the grocery store, but we were easier to stop at.
--
The irony of common sense, it is not that common.
I cannot deny anything I did not say.
A kitten dies every time someone uses "then" and "than" incorrectly.
I mock people who give their children odd spelling of names.

FiReSTaRT
Premium
join:2010-02-26
Canada
Reviews:
·Velcom
reply to Guspaz
I'm not surprised. They have been switching to more of a web model and some of their web specials rival the e-retailers. By the way, I usually shop from CC and TD at their b&m stores but that's because I often buy big heavy stuff or stuff I need right away.
--
If you have an apple and I have an apple and we exchange these apples then you and I will still each have one apple. But if you have an idea and I have an idea and we exchange these ideas, then each of us will have two ideas.
—George Bernard Shaw

corster
Premium
join:2002-02-23
Gatineau, QC

1 edit
reply to Guspaz
said by Guspaz:

The Source's entire business model is around convenience for overpriced accessories - things that people don't want to order online and wait days for, like cables, batteries, etc. So think about it - far lower operating costs than the big box stores (fewer staff, less square footage), more high margin accessory SKUs, plus their business being a proxy for Bell....

TOPDAWG
Premium
Midland, ON
reply to Guspaz
some are like that yeah. the ones around the barrie area carry a good amount of video games. I've got a crap ton of cheap games there they would sell them 10 bucks while they was still $30 or above other places.

Guspaz
Guspaz
Premium,MVM
Montreal, QC
reply to Guspaz
The Source does not carry a full selection of videogames. They carry a very limited stock of a very limited selection of games. There's near-zero chance they will ever have any game you want. Not because it's sold out or the staff took them for themselves, but because they just don't bother carrying them at all.
--

TOPDAWG
Premium
Midland, ON
Reviews:
·TekSavvy DSL
reply to Bender2000
they have great prices on clearance video games sometimes. you're only issue is can you get them before the workers pull all the games off the shelves for themselves. I went to one store and asked you got this one and guy was honest and said no when the prices are low we pull them and put them behind the counter for ourselves.

Bender2000
Bite My Shiny Metal Ass
Premium
join:2002-05-06
Dollard-Des-Ormeaux, QC
reply to Guspaz
I wouldn't expect to see good prices in the Source....EVER.

After all, it's just a rebranded Bell store with some extra bits.

I absolutely refuse to purchase anything from the Source on principle alone.

telco_mtl

join:2012-01-06
reply to dirtyjeffer
said by dirtyjeffer:

said by milnoc:

Remember Adventure Electronics? Atlantic Electronics? Both big box consumer electronics stores that went bust, one replacing the other.

FS/BB's days may be numbered.

yes, i do remember Adventure Electronics...i worked for Majestic Electronics, who were then purchased by Adventure Electronics (and later worked for 2001 Audio/Video)...their problem (Adventure) was they grew too quickly and bit off WAY more than they could financially handle...senior/executive management at Adventure was a mess (not sure if it was a Quebec mentality)...they had 5 stores here in London...one downtown (which was a money pit, and eventually closed), 4 in the main malls here (which had ridiculous rents, and Masonville had 2 stores, because of the lease requirements from the "Majestic" days)...and a large superstore...realistically, they should have only had the one large store...none of the mall stores made any money.

they spent a FORTUNE on expanding and expanding, thinking that the more presence they had, the better they would do...that house of cards collapsed within a few years.

Aventure was also opening big box style stores at the same time as "boutique" stores. I remember they had multiple "boutiques" in some malls!

Guspaz
Guspaz
Premium,MVM
Montreal, QC
reply to Guspaz
BestBuy in the US is in crisis right now, yes. They closed down 100 stores amidst plummeting sales, had their upper management shaken by a sex scandal that caused the ouster of the CEO, and the founder of the company is trying to buy out the rest of it and take it private.

In terms of The Source, the problem is that their prices are insanely high. The Source is to Futureshop as Futureshop is to Monoprice...

Examples:

SanDisk Ultra 32GB Class 10 (30MB/s) SDHC card
NewEgg Canada: $40
Future Shop: $40
The Source: $100

GeForce 210 (cheapest of any brand)
NewEgg Canada: $30 ($45 for same model as The Source)
Futureshop: $42
The Source: $70

Epson PowerLite Presenter home theatre projector/DVD player
NewEgg Canada: $800
Futureshop: $900
The Source: $1020

--

TOPDAWG
Premium
Midland, ON
Reviews:
·TekSavvy DSL

1 edit
reply to urbanriot
well the worst is the whole well your PC is not ready when you take it home. we can do your updates and shit for you just pay us 80 bucks. That made me so god damn mad and it blew me away people were happy to pay for it then say what a great serve it was.

It also did not help you were tiring to forking update 10 damn pc's and laptops at once and the forking network we had was 5 down for the whole store.

cause I'm bored here is more stores. Exp best buy you don't get commission so we were told to tell people that and say other stores they're commissioned based. People liked that idea cause it tells them you're not tiring to sell them shit just to make money but really you still were doing that anyway. So you have your two stores attacking each other tiring to get sales in the store you happen to be in at the time as the managers in whatever store don't give a shit long as they meet their stores numbers.

I think the worst over sell I've ever seen and it upset me bad. I was working for an ISP and sometimes if someone had an internet issue they would let us look at the person PC or laptop for free.

So I go downstairs meet the guy find out his issue. OK I see you can tell he had a stroke as he could barely move his hands. So I look at this laptop that was lift and man it's a forking sweet laptop. It was like an HT laptop it had great specs and one of those volume bars on it where you run your finger over it to turn it up and down. The guy also lift his router and crap so hell being the nice guy I am and I would have been fried for this but being as I saw he had so many health issues and did not understand tech I did not care I set-up everything for him went into the router and everything and fixed all his setting and set-up the wireless.

So I got his all going and he came to pick this thing up I asked him what do you use this for he said just to send email and the internet. I then asked oh it's a nice laptop where you get it. He said future shop now in my mind I'm cussing up a storm cause someone sold this guy a laptop that was at least 800 bucks when one for like $400 would have been more then enough for him.

It pisses me off when someone takes advintage of a person like that. Best buy futureshop they all pull that crap so while I hate for folks to lose their jobs both company's can burn.

urbanriot
Premium
join:2004-10-18
Canada
Reviews:
·Cogeco Cable
reply to TOPDAWG
said by TOPDAWG:

I hated offering that shit to people when I worked there. You're also to never call it a warranty it's called a protection plan. I mean some of the warranty's were pretty good but forking %25 of the cost of the item half the time.

I get a kick how they advertise so many products that have a 3 year manufacturer's warranty as having a 1 year warranty and selling a 3 year warranty to people. I blow my top every time I see that.

GeoStar

join:2011-02-10
j2e6f5
reply to Guspaz
I guess once wireless internet becomes the norm bhell and rodjers will go the same way

whwhwhhahahhahwwhhhahahhaahahahahahah

TOPDAWG
Premium
Midland, ON
reply to urbanriot
I hated offering that shit to people when I worked there. You're also to never call it a warranty it's called a protection plan. I mean some of the warranty's were pretty good but forking %25 of the cost of the item half the time.

TOPDAWG
Premium
Midland, ON
Reviews:
·TekSavvy DSL
reply to IIgs
They're owned by US company's are they not? I seem to remember they are and lets get real if they go bust in the states as best buy is hurting bad there the cdn stores are forked and I don't see US CEO's giving a damn about their cdn stores and workers.

IIgs
Premium
Montreal, QC
reply to Guspaz
I'm surprised it hasn't been discussed, but could this be a sign the Futureshop/Bestbuy chain is headed for bankruptcy, and eventually all the remaining stores will close? And if so, are we talking several months, a year, maybe two?

Perhaps not the same situation, but it's kind of reminiscent of Circuit City or Blockbusters.

I have some Futureshop gift cards, I thinking I better go use them in the near future...