donoreo
Premium
join:2002-05-30
North York, ON
reply to corster

Re: Futureshop/Bestbuy abruptly shut down a dozen stores

said by corster:

said by Guspaz:

So, how is The Soruce still in business? Are people just too dumb to shop around? Everything that doesn't have a manufacturer-set price is ridiculously overpriced at The Source, even compared to FutureShop!

The Source's entire business model is around convenience for overpriced accessories. Far lower operating costs than the big box stores (fewer staff, less square footage), more high margin accessory SKUs.

Back when resistors were 99 cents for 5, people would complain that they could order from Electrosonic for way less. I used to tell them to think of us as a convenience store, bread was cheaper at the grocery store, but we were easier to stop at.
--
The irony of common sense, it is not that common.
I cannot deny anything I did not say.
A kitten dies every time someone uses "then" and "than" incorrectly.
I mock people who give their children odd spelling of names.

IIgs
Premium
join:2002-10-05
Montreal, QC
kudos:1
reply to Guspaz

said by Guspaz:

BestBuy in the US is in crisis right now, yes. They closed down 100 stores amidst plummeting sales, had their upper management shaken by a sex scandal that caused the ouster of the CEO, and the founder of the company is trying to buy out the rest of it and take it private.

Is there a possibility the Futureshop chain will go defunct in the near future?

It would suck if all my Futureshop gift cards become worthless overnight. I'm debating whether to rush out and buy something, anything, before that happens.

TOPDAWG
Premium
join:2005-04-27
Midland, ON
kudos:3
Reviews:
·TekSavvy DSL

yes it could and fact is if you ask me being as both are US owned by the best buy backers future shop is the brand they would kill off first. Future Shop is not a world wide brand unlike best buy so that is the brand they would want to keep.

Now this happening over night is not going to happen at least I don't think it would. If worse comes to worse gift cards from both places can be used on both companies web-sites.

No idea why they don't do this in-stone too and why they seem to want to keep the brands separate or give the illusion that both brands are not the same company.

Maybe it was the deal when buying future shop and was easier to piggyback on that to enter the cdn market then bring the best buy brand into Canada all by itself.

Guspaz
Guspaz
Premium,MVM
join:2001-11-05
Montreal, QC
kudos:23
reply to corster

said by corster:

The Source's entire business model is around convenience for overpriced accessories - things that people don't want to order online and wait days for, like cables, batteries, etc. So think about it - far lower operating costs than the big box stores (fewer staff, less square footage), more high margin accessory SKUs, plus their business being a proxy for Bell....

But how is The Source any more convenient than the Futureshop that was across the street and had better prices? And better service? And better selection? And better opening hours?
--
Developer: Tomato/MLPPP, Linux/MLPPP, etc »fixppp.org

TOPDAWG
Premium
join:2005-04-27
Midland, ON
Reviews:
·TekSavvy DSL

cause most people don't shop around. they just go in a store see what they want then buy it. So if they happen to go into the source first see their item they buy it there.

The source also having a much smaller footprint then future shop may also seem a lot less over whelming to some folks. Its also a lot easier to get help in the source as shit they're so small when you walk into the door you damn near knock down the workers. Well easy to get help unless someone is looking into a cell phone cause then fuck everyone else in the store as those cell phones margins are insane.

IIgs
Premium
Montreal, QC
reply to TOPDAWG

said by TOPDAWG:

yes it could and fact is if you ask me being as both are US owned by the best buy backers future shop is the brand they would kill off first. Future Shop is not a world wide brand unlike best buy so that is the brand they would want to keep.

Now this happening over night is not going to happen at least I don't think it would. If worse comes to worse gift cards from both places can be used on both companies web-sites.

As long as BestBuy Canada remains I wouldn't worry about redeeming gift cards through them (they're the same company, much like Loblaws owning the Quebec chains Provigo and Maxi; same store, just a different banner).

What I'm concerned about is the parent company vanishing overnight, then Futureshop AND my gift cards are toast.

I still remember when Eaton's was struggling and closing stores in the late 90's. I immediately cashed any gift certificates I had--good thing, as two years later they folded.

Guspaz
Guspaz
Premium,MVM
Montreal, QC
reply to Guspaz

Here's a hint: you can use Futureshop gift cards to buy iTunes gift cards, or any other sort of card that they sell (such as pay as you go).

I did that once. Had some Futureshop gift card money left, didn't have anything to buy, wanted to clear it out. Bought an iTunes gift card and loaded it into my Apple account right away, knowing I would eventually use that as I occasionally buy apps.
--

IIgs
Premium
Montreal, QC

Good idea, using the Futureshop gift cards to buy other gift cards (though maybe not an iTunes card, don't have a working iOS device at the moment). If I get stuck, I'll go with that option.

Only other things I could think of is a game console or memory cards...

Guspaz
Guspaz
Premium,MVM
Montreal, QC
reply to Guspaz

If you've got a mac, you can use the iTunes credit to buy something on the mac app store :P

Grab yourself a copy of Mountain Lion for example
--

IIgs
Premium
Montreal, QC

No Macs. Well, not really (my Powerbook G4 keyboard went south, Mac Mini G4 is missing the powersupply). I'm a PC guy mainly.

My brother is a big Mac user though, I'm sure he could use iTune credit if worse comes to worse.

Guspaz
Guspaz
Premium,MVM
Montreal, QC
reply to Guspaz

Maybe somebody ported iTunes to GS/OS? :P

elwoodblues
Elwood Blues
Premium
join:2006-08-30
Somewhere in
kudos:2
reply to Guspaz

[BQUOTE=Guspaz

So, how is The Soruce still in business? Are people just too dumb to shop around? Everything that doesn't have a manufacturer-set price is ridiculously overpriced at The Source, even compared to FutureShop!
[/BQUOTE

And they're expanding .
--
No, I didn't. Honest... I ran out of gas. I... I had a flat tire. I didn't have enough money for cab fare. My tux didn't come back from the cleaners. An old friend came in from out of town. Someone stole my car. There was an earthquake.......

donoreo
Premium
join:2002-05-30
North York, ON

1 edit

said by elwoodblues:

said by Guspaz

And they're expanding .

You slow. I posted that earlier.
--
The irony of common sense, it is not that common.
I cannot deny anything I did not say.
A kitten dies every time someone uses "then" and "than" incorrectly.
I mock people who give their children odd spelling of names.

elwoodblues
Elwood Blues
Premium
Somewhere in

said by donoreo See ProfileYou slow. I posted that earlier.

MEH

salshk

join:2013-02-01
Brampton, ON
reply to Guspaz

Trust me guys...I have seen stores closing while they are expanding...sometimes the expansion team has no idea what the top notch are thinking !! source may survive little while more cause of the BELL support...but how long is the question !!

vue666
Small block Chevys never die
Premium
join:2007-12-07
Halifax, NS
reply to Guspaz

I wonder if Radio Shack will ever make a come back in Canada....

urbanriot
Premium
join:2004-10-18
Canada

Why, do you need a Tandy computer or some Archer rabbit ears for your new UHF TV?

milnoc

join:2001-03-05
H3B

That reminds me. I have to point my antenna to the States to get the Superbowl with the original ads. It's the only time I ever watch TV.
--
Watch my future television channel's public test broadcast!
»thecanadianpublic.com/live

vue666
Premium
Halifax, NS
reply to urbanriot

They do seem to be doing quite well in Maine. Whenever I visit Bangor I'll wander into their Radio Shack in their mall...

Expand your moderator at work

milnoc

join:2001-03-05
H3B
reply to vue666

Re: Futureshop/Bestbuy abruptly shut down a dozen stores

Do remember that Radio Shack in the US and Canada were originally two entirely different companies that shared both business models and brands until Circuit City bought out the Canadian company and changed the name to "The Source by Circuit City".

Later, Bell bought out the chain, and renamed it simply "The Source".

As for the fall of the electronic components department, that's not surprising. Today's consumer electronics are made with tiny SMT components that are close to impossible to service without highly specialized equipment. These aren't your granddad's resistors, capacitors and transistors we're talking about here. Heck, I rarely ever saw anyone browse through those sections before they were pulled.
--
Watch my future television channel's public test broadcast!
»thecanadianpublic.com/live

vue666
Premium
Halifax, NS
reply to Guspaz

I remember when there was an Heathkit store in HRM... LOL

Yeah... I used to purchase some of those components from the local RS store...

dirtyjeffer
Anons on ignore, but not due to fear.
Premium
join:2002-02-21
London, ON
reply to milnoc

said by milnoc:

Today's consumer electronics are made with tiny SMT components that are close to impossible to service without highly specialized equipment.

in most cases, modern boards aren't repairable at all, they are disposable...that is why on things like flat panel TVs, appliances, etc, the repair costs are quite high as the need to replace a "main board" is likely over 50% of the cost of the entire unit.
--
People sleep peaceably in their beds at night only because rough men stand ready to do violence on their behalf.

- George Orwell

elwoodblues
Elwood Blues
Premium
Somewhere in
reply to milnoc

said by milnoc:

Do remember that Radio Shack in the US and Canada were originally two entirely different companies that shared both business models and brands until Circuit City bought out the Canadian company and changed the name to "The Source by Circuit City".

Later, Bell bought out the chain, and renamed it simply "The Source".

As for the fall of the electronic components department, that's not surprising. Today's consumer electronics are made with tiny SMT components that are close to impossible to service without highly specialized equipment. These aren't your granddad's resistors, capacitors and transistors we're talking about here. Heck, I rarely ever saw anyone browse through those sections before they were pulled.

They were and they weren't. Tandy, who owns the Radio Shack name, spun off all their international holdings into a company called Intertan, which they took public.

Slowly but surely all international holdings, except for Canada were shut down or liquidated (always liked getting Foreign catalogues). When Circuit City bought Intertan, Tandy pulled the license to use the Radio Shack Name, after all, you don't want your biggest rival in the US using your corporate name in a different country, thus the name change.
--
No, I didn't. Honest... I ran out of gas. I... I had a flat tire. I didn't have enough money for cab fare. My tux didn't come back from the cleaners. An old friend came in from out of town. Someone stole my car. There was an earthquake.......

elwoodblues
Elwood Blues
Premium
Somewhere in
reply to dirtyjeffer

said by dirtyjeffer:

said by milnoc:

Today's consumer electronics are made with tiny SMT components that are close to impossible to service without highly specialized equipment.

in most cases, modern boards aren't repairable at all, they are disposable...that is why on things like flat panel TVs, appliances, etc, the repair costs are quite high as the need to replace a "main board" is likely over 50% of the cost of the entire unit.

From a consumer perspective yes,everything is surface mount, just swap it (assuming it's under warranty) however they can be repaired after the fact. with sophisticated equipment, hell they had those machines back in the day when I worked at the shack.
--

vue666
Premium
Halifax, NS
reply to elwoodblues

I remember years ago I had a Radio Shack credit card which I did use on occasion in the American RS....

FaxCap

join:2002-05-25
Surrey, BC
Reviews:
·Shaw
reply to Guspaz

The only thing I used Radio Shack for was a quick source of parts.
Rather than a 30 minute drive to buy 3 resistors and a couple of
capacitors from a wholesale supplier I only had to run up to the local
mall. The Source still has parts but a MUCH reduced selection than
RS carried.

FaxCap

sm5w2
Premium
join:2004-10-13
St Thomas, ON
reply to Guspaz

I've never understood how or why a big-box electronics store needs to have 75 - 100 employees (how many do you ever really see at any one time?). How much is it costing them to manage so many part-time employees vs having fewer full-time ones?

As for "show-rooming" and competition from Amazon, I think there's more competition from ebay (you can buy a lot of the same stuff, new or used, from ebay these days, and ebay is less expensive because of their business model compared to Amazon).

But in the US, shipping is dirt-cheap/free, but not in Canada.

But products weigh a lot less these days vs 10 years ago. If we still had tube-type TV's, there would be no e-commerce in TV's because they weigh so friggen much and would cost a fortune to ship to your home.

Something else that's killing FS/BB is the chronic over-production of flat-panel TV's and monitors. When you start having drug stores selling TV's, you know you should get out of that retail end of the business.

dragonfly

join:2012-09-04

If you have a core of full-time employees, you run the risk of having them unionize on you and demand wage increases. With a whole bunch of part-timers, turnover is higher and that's less likely to happen.

elwoodblues
Elwood Blues
Premium
Somewhere in
reply to FaxCap

said by FaxCap:

The only thing I used Radio Shack for was a quick source of parts.
Rather than a 30 minute drive to buy 3 resistors and a couple of
capacitors from a wholesale supplier I only had to run up to the local
mall. The Source still has parts but a MUCH reduced selection than
RS carried.

FaxCap

And that's where all the money was. It wasn't unheard of to have 1000% margins (I kid you not) on a resistor pack. Hell a phone splitter cost the store 75c and they retailed it for $6.95.
--