Premium
join:2002-02-23
Gatineau, QC
reply to Warez_Zealot

Re: Futureshop/Bestbuy abruptly shut down a dozen stores

said by Warez_Zealot:

said by Guspaz:

said by TLS2000:

Ya, we'll exclude the fact that they actually have expensive stores to build, operate and maintain.

And what does that have to do with anything? If you have an item with a $100 profit margin, and you sell 10 units, or you have an item with a $20 profit margin, and you sell 100 units, which is making you more money?

NCIX also has stores, and they don't seem to have issues with profitability.

I knew Best Buy was doomed to failure when they started giving their employees their stupid store credit cards and encouraging them to get indebted to them. Anyhow, I'll be happy when Best Buy finally folds up completely.

The only reason every Best Buy/Future Shop employee has their credit card is because Best Buy passes on the processing fee when an employee uses their employee discount and pay with a credit card. The BB/FS credit cards didn't have to pay the upcharge.

telco_mtl

join:2012-01-06
reply to elwoodblues

said by elwoodblues:

said by milnoc:

Do remember that Radio Shack in the US and Canada were originally two entirely different companies that shared both business models and brands until Circuit City bought out the Canadian company and changed the name to "The Source by Circuit City".

Later, Bell bought out the chain, and renamed it simply "The Source".

As for the fall of the electronic components department, that's not surprising. Today's consumer electronics are made with tiny SMT components that are close to impossible to service without highly specialized equipment. These aren't your granddad's resistors, capacitors and transistors we're talking about here. Heck, I rarely ever saw anyone browse through those sections before they were pulled.

They were and they weren't. Tandy, who owns the Radio Shack name, spun off all their international holdings into a company called Intertan, which they took public.

Slowly but surely all international holdings, except for Canada were shut down or liquidated (always liked getting Foreign catalogues). When Circuit City bought Intertan, Tandy pulled the license to use the Radio Shack Name, after all, you don't want your biggest rival in the US using your corporate name in a different country, thus the name change.

interesting note, in the early 90s i used to always get the american and canadian catalogs, i was always amazed at how products with the same cat no. could be labeled with different brands. A re-branded pioneer 6 disk player in the states was labeled "optimus" and in canada was "genexxa" same box, same cat. no.

telco_mtl

reply to LazMan

said by LazMan:

Circuit City ran it pretty much into the ground; and Bell took it over for pennies on the dollar, mostly to:

a) take away a big part of Rogers distribution chain (at the time, InterTan was in bed with Rogers)

and

b) increase Bell's retail presence almost instantaneously...

in quebec they were also probably the second biggest videotron distributor outside of videotron stores, videotron recently lost Brault and Martineau as well as a distributor

corster
Premium
Gatineau, QC

said by telco_mtl:

said by LazMan:

Circuit City ran it pretty much into the ground; and Bell took it over for pennies on the dollar, mostly to:

a) take away a big part of Rogers distribution chain (at the time, InterTan was in bed with Rogers)

and

in quebec they were also probably the second biggest videotron distributor outside of videotron stores, videotron recently lost Brault and Martineau as well as a distributor

Back in 2005 when Bell bought them, RadioShack/The Source was Rogers Wireless' single largest source of activations.

telco_mtl

said by corster:

said by telco_mtl:

said by LazMan:

and

Back in 2005 when Bell bought them, RadioShack/The Source was Rogers Wireless' single largest source of activations.

yup if the compettition cant sell their product because you own the store...

zod5000

join:2003-10-21
Victoria, BC
Reviews:
·Shaw
reply to Gone

said by Gone:

When one considers all the additional back-end infrastructure and freight/courier costs involved to run an operation like Amazon, and that the actual stores are capital costs that are eventually paid off, I would expect that the costs wouldn't be as different as everyone automatically assumes.

Costs would be higher for a B&M and a slight increase in price can be justified by someone who wants something right away, but those costs are certainly not so high as to justify some of the obscene price differences between the two. It is for this reason why people showroom. If they were smart, they'd turn that into an opportunity rather than something to rant about.

To be fair the price differences between future shop/best buy and Amazon.ca (or any other Canadian online retailers) is minimal.

It's when you compare any Canadian retailer to a US retailer that that price difference is obscene.

I do think that B&M's have higher overhead. More staff, more expensive physical location, higher property taxes, more infrastructure, etc...

elwoodblues
Elwood Blues
Premium
join:2006-08-30
Somewhere in
kudos:2
reply to telco_mtl

said by telco_mtl:

interesting note, in the early 90s i used to always get the american and canadian catalogs, i was always amazed at how products with the same cat no. could be labeled with different brands. A re-branded pioneer 6 disk player in the states was labeled "optimus" and in canada was "genexxa" same box, same cat. no.

They were moving way from the Tandy owned brands, if it had taken off, Radio Shack would have become genexxa here in Canada, they had 2 stores, one in the Eaton centre, and one in Square one.

Never went anywhere.
--
No, I didn't. Honest... I ran out of gas. I... I had a flat tire. I didn't have enough money for cab fare. My tux didn't come back from the cleaners. An old friend came in from out of town. Someone stole my car. There was an earthquake.......

telco_mtl

said by elwoodblues:

said by telco_mtl:

They were moving way from the Tandy owned brands, if it had taken off, Radio Shack would have become genexxa here in Canada, they had 2 stores, one in the Eaton centre, and one in Square one.

Never went anywhere.

there were some good deals to be had if you knew who made the products, The RCA branded stuff at RS in the states is all pioneer these days

i miss realistic, archer and tandy lol i even have a TRS-80 coco still in its box

corster
Premium
Gatineau, QC

2 edits
reply to elwoodblues

said by elwoodblues:

said by telco_mtl:

Back around 2005 they had a concept store at Vaughan Mills and Eaton Centre called "THS Studio" focused on Televisions, MP3 Players, and Mobile Phones. It would not have surprised me if they were testing it for when their RadioShack trademark license expired in 2010 (became a moot point when they lost it in 2005 and rebranded as The Source).

donoreo
Premium
join:2002-05-30
North York, ON
reply to elwoodblues

said by elwoodblues:

said by telco_mtl:

Never went anywhere.

4, Georgian Mall and Fairview in Kitchener as well. That was a Keto thing. It got him ousted as President by the board of directors.
--
The irony of common sense, it is not that common.
I cannot deny anything I did not say.
A kitten dies every time someone uses "then" and "than" incorrectly.
I mock people who give their children odd spelling of names.

cognizantt

join:2009-06-13
Montreal, QC
reply to Guspaz

dang, I never even know the FS at the Forum shut down.
The last time I was there, mid December, I bought a router.

Friendly English speaking staff, very near to where I live.

Now the closest location is by The Bay.

I completely missed the media announcing the shut downs.

Nov 2011 I bought my current computer at FS/Forum.

Radio Shack / The Source was always overpriced. They were in Alexis Nihon - no idea if The Source is still there.

This area seems to be the death knell for retail outlets - long ago Wendy's and Burger King died, Dunkin Donuts shut down, Zellers is now gone with Target replacing them end of the year.

elwoodblues
Elwood Blues
Premium
Somewhere in
reply to telco_mtl

said by telco_mtl:

said by elwoodblues:

said by telco_mtl:

Never went anywhere.

there were some good deals to be had if you knew who made the products, The RCA branded stuff at RS in the states is all pioneer these days

i miss realistic, archer and tandy lol i even have a TRS-80 coco still in its box

Holy shit, that brings back memories.
--
No, I didn't. Honest... I ran out of gas. I... I had a flat tire. I didn't have enough money for cab fare. My tux didn't come back from the cleaners. An old friend came in from out of town. Someone stole my car. There was an earthquake.......

Guspaz
Guspaz
Premium,MVM
join:2001-11-05
Montreal, QC
kudos:22
reply to cognizantt

The Source is still there (I work in one of the Alexis Nihon office towers). I don't shop at them, because every time I've ever tried to buy something there, they didn't have it, and whenever I've checked their prices online, they're insanely high.

The other day, I wanted to buy the new Star Trek: TNG blurays. I asked in The Source. They don't sell blurays. I asked friends and co-workers if they knew of any place where you could buy DVDs or blurays. Nope. I had to pay $5 in metro tickets to go to the centreville futureshop to buy them.

I'm very hopeful for the new Target they're building. It's not an electronics store, but I'm hoping it can replace much of what I used to get at Futureshop.
--
Latest version of CapSavvy systray usage checker: »CapSavvy v4.2 released!

df909

join:2013-03-05
Canada

said by Guspaz:

The other day, I wanted to buy the new Star Trek: TNG blurays. I asked in The Source. They don't sell blurays. I asked friends and co-workers if they knew of any place where you could buy DVDs or blurays. Nope. I had to pay $5 in metro tickets to go to the centreville futureshop to buy them.

Have you tried iNetVideo.ca in the carrefour industrielle alliance at Peel metro? Selection is just as good as futureshop from what I've noticed plus it's walking distance to atwater (well, atleast in the summer).

Guspaz
Guspaz
Premium,MVM
join:2001-11-05
Montreal, QC
kudos:22
reply to Guspaz

Well, it's slightly closer, but that's still a 45 minute round trip by foot, so it's not exactly convenient compared to the future shop thirty seconds from work or seven minutes from home
--
Latest version of CapSavvy systray usage checker: »CapSavvy v4.2 released!

telco_mtl

reply to df909

said by df909:

said by Guspaz:

Have you tried iNetVideo.ca in the carrefour industrielle alliance at Peel metro? Selection is just as good as futureshop from what I've noticed plus it's walking distance to atwater (well, atleast in the summer).

im old enough to still call it simpsons lol

urbanriot
Premium
join:2004-10-18
Canada
kudos:3
Reviews:
·Cogeco Cable
reply to Guspaz

There's a rumour that the Niagara Falls location won't be sticking around and we're going back to one location in all of Niagara, rather than two Future Shops and one Best Buy...

... although in Niagara, there's always rumours that never pan out so we'll see. I hate spreading rumours but I've heard this more than once from people that work at the various stores in the area.

Gone
Premium
join:2011-01-24
Fort Erie, ON
kudos:4

There was a "rumour" that the Staples in Fort Erie was closing, then that rumour turned into employees unofficially saying it was true, and then it turned into a large "Store Closing" sign outside this week.

So sometimes it is true.

urbanriot
Premium
Canada
Reviews:
·Cogeco Cable

I had no idea they were closing... the only other type of store that I've seen in Fort Erie that carried office supplies was Beatties and they were horribly overpriced on everything so I figured Staples would give people what they were driving out of town for and a better price, so I'd expect them to have enough business to sustain them. Was it a graveyard?

Gone
Premium
Fort Erie, ON
Reviews:
·Start Communicat..

It was dead for a while a year or two ago but the more recent times I've been in there there's been a decent number of customers in the store. It could be deeper corporate restructuring at Staples that's causing the closure, who knows. The one in Port Colborne closed a while ago.

And yeah, I refuse to shop at Beatties for reasons beyond just price. I'll drive to Staples in Niagara Falls before I ever set foot in there.

elwoodblues
Elwood Blues
Premium
Somewhere in

I'm thinking that the entire big box phenomenal is coming to an end.
You can't put a "big box store" at every street corner and expect it to be busy.

Local stores will continue to be closed down relying more on 'regional' stores instead. You already see the beginning with FS/BB and now Staples is showing it's cards.
--

urbanriot
Premium
Canada
Reviews:
·Cogeco Cable

I'm not entirely sure I agree, I feel it's a management and structural issue. The big box stores can last, they just need to change.

Examples specifically for our area:

We have a Wintronics computer store here with computer parts and even though the enthusiast parts industry has been dead for years, that place is always packed with people since they've slimmed down to the appropriate number of workers, sell what people want and have it at a decent price. It might be a few bucks more than NCIX but you can walk in there and walk out with something that you want while getting a good service.

Future Shop, you walk in there and there's a bunch of fucktwats standing around shooting the shit, never in the areas that people need them... unless you want to blow a few grand on some equipment, then suddenly there's two guys fighting over you. Best Buy, I walk in there to buy a blu-ray player a few weeks back and couldn't find a soul to ask a question... because four of them were standing up front having a good old time.

Staples I can't comment concerning Fort Erie but here in St. Catharines, we have two Staples stores within a 5 minute drive! If you live somewhere around Niagara street, you have a Staples within two minutes of either direction! Yet somehow they're both busy...

Walmart we have the same, two Walmart stores within a 5 minute drive and the same situation if you live on Niagara St., within a 2 minute drive you have two Walmarts... both equally seem busy too.

donoreo
Premium
join:2002-05-30
North York, ON
reply to Gone

said by Gone:

It was dead for a while a year or two ago but the more recent times I've been in there there's been a decent number of customers in the store. It could be deeper corporate restructuring at Staples that's causing the closure, who knows. The one in Port Colborne closed a while ago.

And yeah, I refuse to shop at Beatties for reasons beyond just price. I'll drive to Staples in Niagara Falls before I ever set foot in there.

Beatties is part of the Basics Office supplies buying group. There are independent dealers all over that all buy through Basics based in KW.
--
The irony of common sense, it is not that common.
I cannot deny anything I did not say.
A kitten dies every time someone uses "then" and "than" incorrectly.
I mock people who give their children odd spelling of names.

Gone
Premium
Fort Erie, ON
Reviews:
·Start Communicat..

Beatties as a company goes back well over 50 years. I've got old black and white photos of Downtown St. Catharines with the "Beatties Bros." store

Either way, I still won't shop at any of their stores.

zod5000

join:2003-10-21
Victoria, BC
Reviews:
·Shaw
reply to Guspaz

I think BB/FS would be better served by downsizing into one electronics chain. The overhead of running two chains that sell very similar products seems pretty wasteful.

I don't think big box stores in Canada are done. The argument is that online shopping is killing big box stores. In Canada our online shopping options are mediocre at best. Our version of Amazon is greatly inferior to the American version. The selection is small and the prices aren't much better than a box store.

Mailing order from the US becomes more expensive by the year. When the internet was new it was so easy (and inexpensive) to import from the US. Barriers to trade keep going up. First they restricted warantees geographically (which made US tech sellers not want to ship outside their borders). Then UPS undercut USPS for insurance included orders, which meant Canadians were getting boned for insane brokerage fees when crossing the border.

Amazon.com added in "import fees" about two years ago and now Ebay is following suit (which sucks because Canada Post lets most things go.. unless its really big and expensive).

I guess my argument is that there isn't a lot of competition in Canada (online or otherwise). The barriers to importing from the US continue to grow (unless you're in a position to physically cross the border). I think it makes sense for FS/BB to consolidate their operations (eventually into 1 chain instead of 2), but I don't think the box store is in danger of becoming extinct in Canada because we don't really have a lot of options.

neko
All Hail Canada
Premium
join:2006-08-11
Canada
Reviews:
·TekSavvy Cable
reply to urbanriot

said by urbanriot:

...Staples I can't comment concerning Fort Erie but here in St. Catharines, we have two Staples stores within a 5 minute drive! If you live somewhere around Niagara street, you have a Staples within two minutes of either direction! Yet somehow they're both busy...

Staples on Bunting is closing later this year.

Gone
Premium
Fort Erie, ON
Reviews:
·Start Communicat..

Staples on Bunting Road was supposed to close when they took over the Office Depot on YMCA Drive and turned it into Staples. It was supposed to be a move rather than a brand new store. I'm surprised the one on Bunting stayed open as long as it did.

Last Parade

join:2002-10-07
Port Colborne, ON
Reviews:
·Start Communicat..
reply to Gone

said by Gone:

In port Colborne it went from a Staples to a Staples Express to nothing.

Last Parade

join:2002-10-07
Port Colborne, ON
Reviews:
·Start Communicat..
reply to Gone

said by Gone:

Staples on Bunting Road was supposed to close when they took over the Office Depot on YMCA Drive and turned it into Staples. It was supposed to be a move rather than a brand new store. I'm surprised the one on Bunting stayed open as long as it did.

It's moderately busy. Just has poor highway access and in a weird spot. The Office Depot that was assumed on YMCA Dr was always dead.

urbanriot
Premium
Canada
Reviews:
·Cogeco Cable
reply to neko

said by neko:

Staples on Bunting is closing later this year.

That's too bad, I really like that Staples.

If I have to choose between the newer one or the older one, I always go the older one. I prefer the layout of the place and the staff too. The newer one seems bigger but there's just a lot of white space and I can never find shit.

It makes sense it would close since the newer, fancier one opened up a bit ago but it's still really busy every time I go there.