page: 1 · 2 · 3 · 4 · 5 · 6 · 7 · next

bt

join:2009-02-26
canada
kudos:1
reply to cpsycho

Re: Futureshop/Bestbuy abruptly shut down a dozen stores

said by cpsycho:

When a video card of the same make and model is $75 at newegg and $275 at Future Shop, where would you buy it?

Future Shop, after price matching.

Riamen
Premium
join:2002-11-04
Calgary
reply to Guspaz

They closed the MacLeod Trail store here in Calgary. It was a fairly new store that opened in 2011. It had a decent music department that I'm going to miss.

vue666
Small block Chevies rule
Premium
join:2007-12-07
Halifax, NS
reply to ekster

said by ekster:

Doesn't surprise me... I mean, what kind of a person thinks that it's a good business to own two different stores that offer the exact same thing for the exact same price and place them next to each other everywhere? Twice the space does not mean twice the profit.

In HRM the Bay and Zellers where in the same mall (Mic Mac Mall).... In the US there is a K-Mart often nearby to a Sears outlet...

donoreo
Premium
join:2002-05-30
North York, ON

said by vue666:

said by ekster:

Doesn't surprise me... I mean, what kind of a person thinks that it's a good business to own two different stores that offer the exact same thing for the exact same price and place them next to each other everywhere? Twice the space does not mean twice the profit.

In HRM the Bay and Zellers where in the same mall (Mic Mac Mall).... In the US there is a K-Mart often nearby to a Sears outlet...

There is a bigger difference between those. FS and BB carry exactly the same things most of the time.
--
The irony of common sense, it is not that common.
I cannot deny anything I did not say.
A kitten dies every time someone uses "then" and "than" incorrectly.
I mock people who give their children odd spelling of names.

vue666
Small block Chevies rule
Premium
Halifax, NS

And I can buy shirts, underwear, pants, blank dvds or a tv at Zellers or the Bay.... But like BB or FS the brands may vary...

Hell K-Mart in the USA even carries Craftsmen products...

ekster
Hi there
Premium
join:2010-07-16
Lachine, QC
kudos:3
Reviews:
·FreePhoneLine

Zellers is a cheaper, dirtier, crappier, lesser known brands store. The Bay is the more expensive, fancier, more popular brands store.

You cannot go to Zellers and the Bay and find the exact same shirt, nor see the exact same price. Shirts in Zellers are $5-10, shirts in the Bay are $50-100.

BB and FS are the exact same store, exact same inventory, exact same price.

donoreo
Premium
North York, ON
reply to Guspaz

Related from Twitter:

Sears Canada confirms that it is laying off about 700 employees.

donoreo
Premium
North York, ON
reply to Guspaz

Story on Sears

»business.financialpost.com/2013/···-report/

zod5000

join:2003-10-21
Victoria, BC
Reviews:
·Shaw
reply to Guspaz

I disagree with CBC's argument about "showrooming" having a big impact. Here in Canada we don't have anything like Amazon.COM. We have Amazon.CA but they're mostly geared towards music, movies and books (there electronics section is small and expensive).

I would agree that the competition for computer parts is pretty good but i'm guessing thats a small piece of their overall pie.

I do agree it seems completely inefficient to run both BB and FS in Canada (as its the same company). Here in Victoria they build brand new ones in the same shopping complex. It's completely redundant. I'm sure we all end up paying for it in higher prices (to cover all the extra overhead).

I'm guessing the closures are are from a few stores with poor sales.

We're not like the US. We don't have showrooming and our stores don't really try to compete with the US Black Friday holiday. Competition is much less fierce here as we have less options.

TLS2000
Crazy Canuck
Premium
join:2004-02-24
Mississauga, ON
Reviews:
·TekSavvy Cable
·Rogers Hi-Speed
reply to bt

said by bt:

said by donoreo:

A lot of them were located beside each other before BB bought FS. I did not think it made sense to keep both brands going.

They've also built new ones beside each other, though.

BB bought Futureshop just before their first stores opened up here. They never actually competed with one another.
--
Tom

TLS2000
Crazy Canuck
Premium
Mississauga, ON
Reviews:
·TekSavvy Cable
·Rogers Hi-Speed
reply to koira

said by koira:

Future Shop Erin Mills closing.
Here we have a Best Buy on the south side of Dundas and FS on the north. FS is a bit more out of the way and not so much traffic.

Redundancy is the operative word

I always wondered why they opened that location. It was too hidden for people to go there. It would have been way more busy if it was facing Dundas.
--
Tom

TLS2000
Crazy Canuck
Premium
Mississauga, ON
Reviews:
·TekSavvy Cable
·Rogers Hi-Speed
reply to bt

said by bt:

said by cpsycho:

When a video card of the same make and model is $75 at newegg and $275 at Future Shop, where would you buy it?

Future Shop, after price matching.

Nope. That's where they pull the BS about the competitor not being an "authorized" competitor. They misinterpret their own fine print in order to screw you. They did that to me. I tried to get them to price match Visions but they claimed that since Visions is out of province, they won't match it. Their policy says NOTHING about that. It cost them a $600 sale. That was FS.

BB did the same thing when I tried to buy a Wacom tablet. They said that they didn't authorize Canada Computers as a competitor of them so they wouldn't price match. Their actual policy says that the competitor has to be authorized to sell the product by the manufacturer of the product, not by FS/BB.
--
Tom

Wolfie00
My dog is an elitist
Premium
join:2005-03-12
kudos:8

said by TLS2000:

They said that they didn't authorize Canada Computers as a competitor of them so they wouldn't price match.

Translation: "we're not going to price match because we don't want to." Brilliant strategy!

They did price match things for me on occasion, even though the only reason I was shopping there was that the competitor with the lower price was out of stock! But I wasn't asking for outrageous discounts.

TLS2000
Crazy Canuck
Premium
Mississauga, ON

Exactly! They have a posted policy, but they only follow it if they feel like it.

What I see happening is that one chain is going to disappear. They'll rebrand it all to either Best Buy or Future Shop.
--
Tom

TOPDAWG
Premium
join:2005-04-27
Midland, ON
Reviews:
·TekSavvy DSL

1 edit
reply to TLS2000

agree I wanted to PM a BR at future shop after 20 forking mins of waiting around no go. They make up some many BS reasons not to PM it's nuts. I also seem to recall they just started to match online pricing not to long ago but that is a new thing so yeah I'll get the graphics card online as far as I know they just started to match online pricing.

I do know to just close up shop without warning the workers is just outright BS and should be illegal.

Now zellers how they stayed open so many years is is beyond me as their prices are god awful. Hell even the stores closing have prices where I can get the stuff other places for cheaper.

Oh man barrie south end is gone my buddy worked there.

Guspaz
Guspaz
Premium,MVM
join:2001-11-05
Montreal, QC
kudos:23
reply to milnoc

said by milnoc:

I believe the Forum location once sold vacuum cleaners on the ground floor. But the last time I was there was probably six to eight years ago, so I can't be sure.

Perhaps it was different long ago, but the Forum location does not have a ground floor. There is an entrance on that level but it's just a tiny bit of floorspace where they keep their elevator and stairway up to their store on the floor above.

Futureshop always made pricematching a hassle. It had to be the exact same item (and futureshop has lots of futureshop-only SKUs that effectively for price matching), the online retailer had to have a brick and mortars branch (they eventually got rid of this one), and then they had to include the shipping costs in the pricematch, even if it didn't make sense (like if shipping would have been free in a bigger order). And the item had to be instock at that exact moment.

In the end it was rarely worth it to pricematch, because the price difference was very small once you finally found a place that Futureshop was willing to pricematch.

Meanwhile, NCIX price matches almost anything. Their only rules are it has to be in Canada and in stock. All you do to pricematch is paste the URL and price, and they approve most of the time...
--
Developer: Tomato/MLPPP, Linux/MLPPP, etc »fixppp.org

peterboro
Premium
join:2006-11-03
Peterborough, ON
reply to TOPDAWG

said by TOPDAWG:

I do know to just close up shop without warning the workers is just outright BS and should be illegal.

Obviously a decision made at a corporate level where all the real douche bags in society congregate at the water cooler when not on the golf course.

Tx
bronx cheers from cheap seats
Premium
join:2008-11-19
Mississauga, ON
kudos:12
Reviews:
·TekSavvy DSL
·FreePhoneLine
·Rogers Hi-Speed
reply to donoreo

Good think i read through the thread lol... i was going to mention sears. This is a lot of jobs lost between all 3.

donoreo
Premium
North York, ON
reply to peterboro

said by peterboro:

said by TOPDAWG:

Obviously a decision made at a corporate level where all the real douche bags in society congregate at the water cooler when not on the golf course.

You would probably be surprised. Back when I worked for a mall based electronics retailer that has a different name now, people higher up were some of the hardest working people I have ever seen. I worked directly with district managers and a regional manager (at the time he reported to the President and CEO). If they worked less than 45 hours it was odd. The regional manager, later made VP of sales, he was in early by 8 and never left before 7, often later. I also had a lot of exposure to those higher at head office and it was much the same, a lot of people working hard long hours. This was not universal, there were those that did not. Most of the people in the sales and merchandising side of things worked a lot.
--
The irony of common sense, it is not that common.
I cannot deny anything I did not say.
A kitten dies every time someone uses "then" and "than" incorrectly.
I mock people who give their children odd spelling of names.

ns1225

join:2010-12-30
Montreal, QC
reply to Guspaz

There's some discussion on reddit that the reason for the closure of the Montreal Forum location may have had to do with it being unionized and it was coming for renewal tomorrow.

alienzzz
Kill Bell

join:2011-02-17
Verdun, QC
reply to Guspaz

Futureshop priced matched a whole bunch of DVDs that were selling for less at HMV, hassle-free.

Meanwhile, NCIX was unable to price match the current PS3 sale at $179. So I ended getting it from Futureshop, even if I had to go all the way to Pointe Claire to get it.

vue666
Small block Chevies rule
Premium
Halifax, NS
reply to ekster

said by ekster:

Zellers is a cheaper, dirtier, crappier, lesser known brands store. The Bay is the more expensive, fancier, more popular brands store.

You cannot go to Zellers and the Bay and find the exact same shirt, nor see the exact same price. Shirts in Zellers are $5-10, shirts in the Bay are $50-100.

BB and FS are the exact same store, exact same inventory, exact same price.

A shirt is a shirt. It's pretty low tech unlike a tv, computer or car...

Just because you stick a Levis tag onto a pair of jeans or shirt doesn't mean it's better...

I suspect you've not seen the 20/20 or 60 Minutes documentary where the same pair of jeans comes out of the same factory. the difference one gets tagged with a known brand name the other is untagged.... But thee is a big difference in price...

ekster
Hi there
Premium
join:2010-07-16
Lachine, QC
Reviews:
·FreePhoneLine

I'm well aware what a shirt is, or where they're all made. Does not change the fact that The Bay and Zellers sell goods to two completely different demographics, goods that carry different tags and different prices.

FS and BB sell to the same demographic, same items, same price, owned by the same company, and sell in the exact same mall, paying twice the rent for no reason.

elwoodblues
Elwood Blues
Premium
join:2006-08-30
Somewhere in
kudos:2
reply to TLS2000

That's something I never figured out, why buy a chain, leave it in place,and open up your own stores for competition.

I read years ago where the CEO said wit FS having 20% of the market , that left 80% for BB to go after.

vue666
Small block Chevies rule
Premium
Halifax, NS
reply to ekster

Kindly go back and re-read my post... I think you missed my key point....

dirtyjeffer
Anons on ignore, but not due to fear.
Premium
join:2002-02-21
London, ON
reply to elwoodblues

said by elwoodblues:

That's something I never figured out, why buy a chain, leave it in place,and open up your own stores for competition.

I read years ago where the CEO said wit FS having 20% of the market , that left 80% for BB to go after.

i agree...i never understood that either...dumb.
--
People sleep peaceably in their beds at night only because rough men stand ready to do violence on their behalf.

- George Orwell

nitzguy
Premium
join:2002-07-11
Sudbury, ON
reply to elwoodblues

said by elwoodblues:

I believe at the time (going back to 2001 now) that FS was not in all centres and had a small presence out west I believe and being a perdominantely eastern based organization...

Its also I believe silly to have a FS and BB in a town with less than 200k people...I don't believe both are properly supported, now its tough for me to argue this, but have any "new" Future Shop stores opened in the last 5 years? (new being net new, not relocated stores).

Perhaps its just holding onto that brand? Also the fact that BB isn't on commission and FS reps are would be the only other thing I could tell what the difference is...

bt

join:2009-02-26
canada

said by nitzguy:

Its also I believe silly to have a FS and BB in a town with less than 200k people...I don't believe both are properly supported, now its tough for me to argue this, but have any "new" Future Shop stores opened in the last 5 years? (new being net new, not relocated stores).

Yep. They opened a new FS in Ottawa a year or two ago.

TOPDAWG
Premium
join:2005-04-27
Midland, ON
reply to nitzguy

yeah they have a new one in barrie it's forking huge and a new best buy opened in the same mall at the same time. The one they closed in barrie was redone inside but it's not near the size of the new one they still have.

DKS
Damn Kidney Stones
Premium,ExMod 2002
join:2001-03-22
Owen Sound, ON
kudos:2
reply to Guspaz

We are supposed to get a new Future Shop in the fall of 2013
--
Need-based health care not greed-based health care.