uniqs
share rss forum feed

alienzzz
Kill Bell

join:2011-02-17
Verdun, QC
reply to Guspaz

Re: Futureshop/Bestbuy abruptly shut down a dozen stores

Futureshop priced matched a whole bunch of DVDs that were selling for less at HMV, hassle-free.

Meanwhile, NCIX was unable to price match the current PS3 sale at $179. So I ended getting it from Futureshop, even if I had to go all the way to Pointe Claire to get it.

vue666
Small block Chevies rule
Premium
join:2007-12-07
Halifax, NS
kudos:1
reply to ekster
said by ekster:

Zellers is a cheaper, dirtier, crappier, lesser known brands store. The Bay is the more expensive, fancier, more popular brands store.

You cannot go to Zellers and the Bay and find the exact same shirt, nor see the exact same price. Shirts in Zellers are $5-10, shirts in the Bay are $50-100.

BB and FS are the exact same store, exact same inventory, exact same price.

A shirt is a shirt. It's pretty low tech unlike a tv, computer or car...

Just because you stick a Levis tag onto a pair of jeans or shirt doesn't mean it's better...

I suspect you've not seen the 20/20 or 60 Minutes documentary where the same pair of jeans comes out of the same factory. the difference one gets tagged with a known brand name the other is untagged.... But thee is a big difference in price...

ekster
Hi there
Premium
join:2010-07-16
Lachine, QC
kudos:3
Reviews:
·FreePhoneLine
I'm well aware what a shirt is, or where they're all made. Does not change the fact that The Bay and Zellers sell goods to two completely different demographics, goods that carry different tags and different prices.

FS and BB sell to the same demographic, same items, same price, owned by the same company, and sell in the exact same mall, paying twice the rent for no reason.

elwoodblues
Elwood Blues
Premium
join:2006-08-30
Somewhere in
kudos:2
reply to TLS2000
That's something I never figured out, why buy a chain, leave it in place,and open up your own stores for competition.

I read years ago where the CEO said wit FS having 20% of the market , that left 80% for BB to go after.

vue666
Small block Chevies rule
Premium
Halifax, NS
reply to ekster
Kindly go back and re-read my post... I think you missed my key point....

dirtyjeffer
Anons on ignore, but not due to fear.
Premium
join:2002-02-21
London, ON
reply to elwoodblues
said by elwoodblues:

That's something I never figured out, why buy a chain, leave it in place,and open up your own stores for competition.

I read years ago where the CEO said wit FS having 20% of the market , that left 80% for BB to go after.

i agree...i never understood that either...dumb.
--
People sleep peaceably in their beds at night only because rough men stand ready to do violence on their behalf.

- George Orwell

nitzguy
Premium
join:2002-07-11
Sudbury, ON
reply to elwoodblues
said by elwoodblues:

I believe at the time (going back to 2001 now) that FS was not in all centres and had a small presence out west I believe and being a perdominantely eastern based organization...

Its also I believe silly to have a FS and BB in a town with less than 200k people...I don't believe both are properly supported, now its tough for me to argue this, but have any "new" Future Shop stores opened in the last 5 years? (new being net new, not relocated stores).

Perhaps its just holding onto that brand? Also the fact that BB isn't on commission and FS reps are would be the only other thing I could tell what the difference is...

bt

join:2009-02-26
canada
said by nitzguy:

Its also I believe silly to have a FS and BB in a town with less than 200k people...I don't believe both are properly supported, now its tough for me to argue this, but have any "new" Future Shop stores opened in the last 5 years? (new being net new, not relocated stores).

Yep. They opened a new FS in Ottawa a year or two ago.

TOPDAWG
Premium
join:2005-04-27
Calgary, AB
reply to nitzguy
yeah they have a new one in barrie it's forking huge and a new best buy opened in the same mall at the same time. The one they closed in barrie was redone inside but it's not near the size of the new one they still have.

DKS
Damn Kidney Stones
Premium,ExMod 2002
join:2001-03-22
Owen Sound, ON
reply to Guspaz
We are supposed to get a new Future Shop in the fall of 2013
--
Need-based health care not greed-based health care.

JBear

join:2005-02-24
canada
reply to Guspaz
BB has got to be one of the worst run companies out there. They promote yes-men and treat the hard working staff like crap.

Disclaimer: I never worked there but my gf did and was fired. She can be a bit abrasive sometimes because she doesn't like taking crap. Also, someone she became friends with from BB quit his manager job at the BB Mobile store just because he was frustrated with upper management.

Guspaz
Guspaz
Premium,MVM
join:2001-11-05
Montreal, QC
kudos:23
reply to ns1225
said by ns1225:

There's some discussion on reddit that the reason for the closure of the Montreal Forum location may have had to do with it being unionized and it was coming for renewal tomorrow.

Well, I can confirm it was unionized (just asked somebody who worked there). There are also rumours the same store may re-open in a nearby location to kill off the union.
--
Developer: Tomato/MLPPP, Linux/MLPPP, etc »fixppp.org

corster
Premium
join:2002-02-23
Gatineau, QC
said by Guspaz:

said by ns1225:

There's some discussion on reddit that the reason for the closure of the Montreal Forum location may have had to do with it being unionized and it was coming for renewal tomorrow.

Well, I can confirm it was unionized (just asked somebody who worked there). There are also rumours the same store may re-open in a nearby location to kill off the union.

or re-open it as a Best Buy?

milnoc

join:2001-03-05
H3B
reply to Guspaz
Pretty much a tradition in Montreal. Many fast food joints were shut down after being unionized despite being highly profitable. Remember the McDonald's on Peel Street?
--
Watch my future television channel's public test broadcast!
»thecanadianpublic.com/live

FaxCap

join:2002-05-25
Surrey, BC
Reviews:
·Shaw
reply to Thingamajig
said by Thingamajig:

Damn! They got the South Surrey BB. That was the one store where I never had an out of stock issue. It was always dead in there so you just knew there would be stock available.

That's the store closest to me also. Like you said, I've never been in
there when there were more than 3 customers in the store. Even on
a Saturday!

Kind of a stupid location tucked around the corner as it is. Plus that
area is nuts with Thrifty Foods and London Drugs.

FaxCap

peterboro
Premium
join:2006-11-03
Peterborough, ON
reply to donoreo
said by donoreo:

You would probably be surprised. Back when I worked for a mall based electronics retailer that has a different name now, people higher up were some of the hardest working people I have ever seen. I worked directly with district managers and a regional manager (at the time he reported to the President and CEO). If they worked less than 45 hours it was odd. The regional manager, later made VP of sales, he was in early by 8 and never left before 7, often later. I also had a lot of exposure to those higher at head office and it was much the same, a lot of people working hard long hours. This was not universal, there were those that did not. Most of the people in the sales and merchandising side of things worked a lot.

Lots of people at the top of the food chain who work hard are douche bags. It just allows them to do more damage to the fabric of society if they put more hours in that's all.

capdjq
Premium
join:2000-11-01
Vancouver
I think the undoing of these two Stores have been returns and most/if not all people misusing that privilege. I see people here purchasing portable air conditioners in July and returning them after a month. The same happens during SB. 55-60 inch Plasma TVs and then returning after the Game. At least NCIX keeps people honest. No returns, if opened, after 2 weeks and then after a 15% restocking fee, at the discretion of the Store. No refunds, if opened, for Refurbished items.
Its no wonder they (FS & BB) went out of business.
--
Indestructible black box that is used on airplanes? Why don't they make the whole plane out of that stuff?!

dirtyjeffer
Anons on ignore, but not due to fear.
Premium
join:2002-02-21
London, ON
they haven't gone out of business...and i'm not sure of what FS/BB's return policy is on big screens, but when i worked in the business in the 90s, those things were final sale...it didn't take a genius to figure out a patter of 200 big screen sales on Friday and 199 returned on Monday...making them final sale saved the company a fortune.

Juggernaut
Irreverent or irrelevant?
Premium
join:2006-09-05
Kelowna, BC
reply to Guspaz
The Westbank, BC store also closed today. It was open for less than one year I think. Papered up, and two security guards out front.
--
"I fear the day that technology will surpass our human interaction. The world will have a generation of idiots." ~ Albert Einstein

capdjq
Premium
join:2000-11-01
Vancouver
I think, like Amazon, its cheaper, for the Store to handle on line orders. Cuts down immensely on overheads and labour. Only have store in Cities that matter like Vancouver, Toronto and Markham.

milnoc

join:2001-03-05
H3B
reply to dirtyjeffer
said by dirtyjeffer:

they haven't gone out of business...

...Yet.

Remember Adventure Electronics? Atlantic Electronics? Both big box consumer electronics stores that went bust, one replacing the other.

FS/BB's days may be numbered.
--
Watch my future television channel's public test broadcast!
»thecanadianpublic.com/live

urbanriot
Premium
join:2004-10-18
Canada
Reviews:
·Cogeco Cable
reply to zod5000
said by zod5000:

I disagree with CBC's argument about "showrooming" having a big impact. Here in Canada we don't have anything like Amazon.COM.

I agree with you, the landscape hasn't changed as significantly as they're suggesting. People are still going to Future Shop to buy PC's and they're still going to Best Buy (in areas without Apple Stores) to buy Apple products, they're still getting routers and digital cameras at these places... they're still going to buy their home theatres-in-a-box at those two locations, not Amazon...

Hell, I went into our local Future Shop the other day and couldn't find a damned red shirt anywhere... because the ones that were free were standing in the 'big money' section, since they won't get commission trying to help a guy find some tablet accessories.

vue666
Small block Chevies rule
Premium
Halifax, NS
reply to milnoc
I remember Multi-Tech Warehouse.... LOL

corster
Premium
join:2002-02-23
Gatineau, QC
reply to urbanriot
said by urbanriot:

and couldn't find a damned red shirt anywhere...

that's because they wear black shirts now

urbanriot
Premium
Canada
damn it.

TLS2000
Crazy Canuck
Premium
join:2004-02-24
Mississauga, ON
reply to vue666
I remember Majestic Electronics with their idiotic "If you find a lower price ANYWHERE, it's FREE!" policy. That didn't work out well for them.
--
Tom

TLS2000
Crazy Canuck
Premium
join:2004-02-24
Mississauga, ON
Reviews:
·TekSavvy Cable
·Rogers Hi-Speed
reply to urbanriot
said by urbanriot:

Hell, I went into our local Future Shop the other day and couldn't find a damned red shirt anywhere... because the ones that were free were standing in the 'big money' section, since they won't get commission trying to help a guy find some tablet accessories.

Go look at something really expensive and then when they come to help you ask them to find that DVD you were looking for.
--
Tom

urbanriot
Premium
Canada
hahaha I do that all the time! The second you step into the home theatre area, the guy's right there... "Oh, I'm just browsing but while you're here..." and then he goes and gets the guy for the department I'm really wanting to get something in.

decx
Premium
join:2002-06-07
Vancouver, BC
reply to Guspaz
I was surprised they didn't closed one of the FS/BB at Lansdowne Mall in Richmond. There isn't much point in having both at one mall with their doors less than 200m apart.

telco_mtl

join:2012-01-06
reply to ekster
said by ekster:

Zellers is a cheaper, dirtier, crappier, lesser known brands store. The Bay is the more expensive, fancier, more popular brands store.

You cannot go to Zellers and the Bay and find the exact same shirt, nor see the exact same price. Shirts in Zellers are $5-10, shirts in the Bay are $50-100.

BB and FS are the exact same store, exact same inventory, exact same price.

but the bay did have Simpsons for about 8 years, in montreal the 2 stores were 4 streets apart and they carried the exact same merchandise!