join:2001-03-05
H3B
kudos:2
reply to dirtyjeffer

Re: Futureshop/Bestbuy abruptly shut down a dozen stores

said by dirtyjeffer:

they haven't gone out of business...

...Yet.

Remember Adventure Electronics? Atlantic Electronics? Both big box consumer electronics stores that went bust, one replacing the other.

FS/BB's days may be numbered.
--
Watch my future television channel's public test broadcast!
»thecanadianpublic.com/live

urbanriot
Premium
join:2004-10-18
Canada
kudos:3
Reviews:
·Cogeco Cable
reply to zod5000

said by zod5000:

I disagree with CBC's argument about "showrooming" having a big impact. Here in Canada we don't have anything like Amazon.COM.

I agree with you, the landscape hasn't changed as significantly as they're suggesting. People are still going to Future Shop to buy PC's and they're still going to Best Buy (in areas without Apple Stores) to buy Apple products, they're still getting routers and digital cameras at these places... they're still going to buy their home theatres-in-a-box at those two locations, not Amazon...

Hell, I went into our local Future Shop the other day and couldn't find a damned red shirt anywhere... because the ones that were free were standing in the 'big money' section, since they won't get commission trying to help a guy find some tablet accessories.

vue666
Small block Chevies rule
Premium
join:2007-12-07
Halifax, NS
kudos:1
reply to milnoc

I remember Multi-Tech Warehouse.... LOL

corster
Premium
join:2002-02-23
Gatineau, QC
reply to urbanriot

said by urbanriot:

and couldn't find a damned red shirt anywhere...

that's because they wear black shirts now

urbanriot
Premium
Canada

damn it.

TLS2000
Crazy Canuck
Premium
join:2004-02-24
Mississauga, ON
reply to vue666

I remember Majestic Electronics with their idiotic "If you find a lower price ANYWHERE, it's FREE!" policy. That didn't work out well for them.
--
Tom

TLS2000
Crazy Canuck
Premium
join:2004-02-24
Mississauga, ON
Reviews:
·TekSavvy Cable
·Rogers Hi-Speed
reply to urbanriot

said by urbanriot:

Hell, I went into our local Future Shop the other day and couldn't find a damned red shirt anywhere... because the ones that were free were standing in the 'big money' section, since they won't get commission trying to help a guy find some tablet accessories.

Go look at something really expensive and then when they come to help you ask them to find that DVD you were looking for.
--
Tom

urbanriot
Premium
Canada

hahaha I do that all the time! The second you step into the home theatre area, the guy's right there... "Oh, I'm just browsing but while you're here..." and then he goes and gets the guy for the department I'm really wanting to get something in.

decx
Premium
join:2002-06-07
Vancouver, BC
reply to Guspaz

I was surprised they didn't closed one of the FS/BB at Lansdowne Mall in Richmond. There isn't much point in having both at one mall with their doors less than 200m apart.

telco_mtl

join:2012-01-06
reply to ekster

said by ekster:

Zellers is a cheaper, dirtier, crappier, lesser known brands store. The Bay is the more expensive, fancier, more popular brands store.

You cannot go to Zellers and the Bay and find the exact same shirt, nor see the exact same price. Shirts in Zellers are $5-10, shirts in the Bay are $50-100.

BB and FS are the exact same store, exact same inventory, exact same price.

but the bay did have Simpsons for about 8 years, in montreal the 2 stores were 4 streets apart and they carried the exact same merchandise!

jaberi

join:2010-08-13
reply to Guspaz

where am i supposed to buy a power supply now?

Gone
Premium
join:2011-01-24
Fort Erie, ON
kudos:4
reply to Guspaz

said by Guspaz:

Futureshop and bestbuy today abruptly shut down a dozen stores across the country (mostly in Quebec)

How is 4 out of 15 stores "mostly in Quebec" ?

Six of them were in British Columbia.

Guspaz
Guspaz
Premium,MVM
join:2001-11-05
Montreal, QC
kudos:23

said by Gone:

said by Guspaz:

Futureshop and bestbuy today abruptly shut down a dozen stores across the country (mostly in Quebec)

How is 4 out of 15 stores "mostly in Quebec" ?

Six of them were in British Columbia.

Because that's how it was reported initially in the media before BestBuy made any statement that included a list of stores. In fact, the total wasn't even known to be 15 at that point.
--
Developer: Tomato/MLPPP, Linux/MLPPP, etc »fixppp.org

zod5000

join:2003-10-21
Victoria, BC
Reviews:
·Shaw
reply to zod5000

said by zod5000:

I do agree it seems completely inefficient to run both BB and FS in Canada (as its the same company). Here in Victoria they build brand new ones in the same shopping complex. It's completely redundant. I'm sure we all end up paying for it in higher prices (to cover all the extra overhead).

It turns out one of the best buys closing was the one I ranted about.. lol. What a giant waste of money they most of lost opening brand a brand new bb and fs in the same complex, only to close one down... idiots.

MichelR

join:2011-07-03
Ottawa, ON
Reviews:
·Start Communicat..
·voip.ms
·Rogers Hi-Speed

FS and BB are side by side on Merivale Road in Ottawa. As far as I can tell, they were both built around the same time (FS moving from its old location a couple of blocks away). Note that I find that convenient - sometimes one doesn't have what I'm looking for, and the other one does. But yeah, completely redundant.

creed3020
Premium
join:2006-04-26
Kitchener, ON
Reviews:
·TekSavvy Cable
reply to cpsycho

said by cpsycho:

said by vue666:

I hate to hear about people losing their jobs.... I guess folks prefer to shop online at Newegg, NCIX, TigerDirect, etc....

When a video card of the same make and model is $75 at newegg and $275 at Future Shop, where would you buy it?

+1

They are playing in a market which they have become to irrelevant and are just getting by through a process of ripping people off on year's old hardware at current day prices. That model was bound to fail sooner or later.

I regularly use NewEgg and NCIX. Just recently I stepped into a BB for the first time in years and didn't actually buy anything as the item I wanted wasn't in stock even though their website claimed it was...

urbanriot
Premium
Canada

That's always been the case though, Future Shop hardware was always 200% more than the PC shops and from the looks of it, it rarely went off the shelves... and that goes back to the 90's.

Guspaz
Guspaz
Premium,MVM
join:2001-11-05
Montreal, QC
kudos:23
reply to Guspaz

I tried to buy a powered USB hub last week from the Futureshop that closed here.

The cheapest powered hub they sold was a 7-port Dynex model. For $49.

I bought a 7-port powered hub from Monoprice instead for $13. It'll take me longer to get, but at a fraction the price.

Ironically, the Monoprice brand-name products are generally higher quality than the Dynex house brand.
--
Developer: Tomato/MLPPP, Linux/MLPPP, etc »fixppp.org

ns1225

join:2010-12-30
Montreal, QC
Reviews:
·Bell Sympatico

said by Guspaz:

Ironically, the Monoprice brand-name products are generally higher quality than the Dynex house brand.

I think this is one of their biggest problems. The cheapest stuff they sell is usually crap while competitors have high quality, low priced products. I went to buy a quality iPhone case and couldn't find anything good, they stocked colourful, glitzy and low quality crap. Not a single product from Case-Mate, iSkin or PowerSupport, and even if they had the SKU it was online only.

elwoodblues
Elwood Blues
Premium
join:2006-08-30
Somewhere in
Reviews:
·VMedia
reply to creed3020

Not to defend them, but it's not as easy as an NCIX or Newegg.
Those two sell "parts" , that you put together yourself, so it's not difficult to get bleeding edge equipment.

FS and BB are Box pushers, they buy up truckloads of PC's that are outdated 5 minutes after they hit the store shelves.

Same thing happened during my Shack Days. Lead time on new computers (and the industry didn't move anywhere as fast back then) was 6 months, so deciding to buy(have Tandy Build?)a computer 6 months in advance at a current price point doesn't work and it outdated and overpriced by the time it hits the stores.
--
No, I didn't. Honest... I ran out of gas. I... I had a flat tire. I didn't have enough money for cab fare. My tux didn't come back from the cleaners. An old friend came in from out of town. Someone stole my car. There was an earthquake.......

donoreo
Premium
join:2002-05-30
North York, ON

Since you mentioned the Shack :

»www.thestar.com/business/2013/02···ada.html

The Source is opening 20 new stores and renovate 50. They have more than 700 locations. The renovation number is nothing, they used to do one or two per year per district anyway.
--
The irony of common sense, it is not that common.
I cannot deny anything I did not say.
A kitten dies every time someone uses "then" and "than" incorrectly.
I mock people who give their children odd spelling of names.

loosedobbs

join:2006-06-13
Toronto
reply to Guspaz

Source stores are very small in comparison. Like 20 stores for one FS store. But the staff is like same calibre. And now they owned by Bell so I stay away from them as fa as possible.

Wolfie00
My dog is an elitist
Premium
join:2005-03-12
kudos:8
reply to donoreo

said by donoreo:

The Source is opening 20 new stores and renovate 50.

As discussed in the Kindle thread, my attempt to buy a Kindle there was typical of the kind of place they are and have always been: behind the times, uncompetitive, and sometimes downright shady. So Bell thinks this is a promising business model worth investing in? Why am I not surprised? No worries, though, whatever they lose on that venture will be more than compensated by the Toronto Maple Leafs gold mine!
--
"The promoters of the global economy see nothing odd or difficult about unlimited economic growth or unlimited consumption in a limited world."
-- Wendell Berry

dirtyjeffer
Anons on ignore, but not due to fear.
Premium
join:2002-02-21
London, ON
reply to milnoc

said by milnoc:

Remember Adventure Electronics? Atlantic Electronics? Both big box consumer electronics stores that went bust, one replacing the other.

FS/BB's days may be numbered.

yes, i do remember Adventure Electronics...i worked for Majestic Electronics, who were then purchased by Adventure Electronics (and later worked for 2001 Audio/Video)...their problem (Adventure) was they grew too quickly and bit off WAY more than they could financially handle...senior/executive management at Adventure was a mess (not sure if it was a Quebec mentality)...they had 5 stores here in London...one downtown (which was a money pit, and eventually closed), 4 in the main malls here (which had ridiculous rents, and Masonville had 2 stores, because of the lease requirements from the "Majestic" days)...and a large superstore...realistically, they should have only had the one large store...none of the mall stores made any money.

they spent a FORTUNE on expanding and expanding, thinking that the more presence they had, the better they would do...that house of cards collapsed within a few years.
--
People sleep peaceably in their beds at night only because rough men stand ready to do violence on their behalf.

- George Orwell

TOPDAWG
Premium
join:2005-04-27
Midland, ON
Reviews:
·TekSavvy DSL
reply to Guspaz

Well the mean issue with futureshop and best buy is they don't make shit from selling hardware. They make insane money on the mobile dept and on the super over priced accessories. The mean issue with that is younger people now know they can get all that shit online cheaper and most times older people know someone in their family that helps them with their tech needs.

So this whole we can sell an HDMI cable to someone for $80 cause they don't know any better well that train is moving on now.

OH yeah I was wrong about Barrie seems it's the new store closing down not the one my buddy works at. Man that is a new store and it's forking huge but never had anyone in there. It has some nice displays but nobody is ever in there when I've been in there.

I say fork both stores when they do have good sales they run out of the item the first hour of being open.

urbanriot
Premium
Canada
Reviews:
·Cogeco Cable

said by TOPDAWG:

They make insane money on the mobile dept and on the super over priced accessories.

Accessories, warranty, service and a few other random items. Their markup on those GoPro cameras is almost $100.

IIgs
Premium
join:2002-10-05
Montreal, QC
kudos:1
reply to Guspaz

I'm surprised it hasn't been discussed, but could this be a sign the Futureshop/Bestbuy chain is headed for bankruptcy, and eventually all the remaining stores will close? And if so, are we talking several months, a year, maybe two?

Perhaps not the same situation, but it's kind of reminiscent of Circuit City or Blockbusters.

I have some Futureshop gift cards, I thinking I better go use them in the near future...

TOPDAWG
Premium
Midland, ON
Reviews:
·TekSavvy DSL

They're owned by US company's are they not? I seem to remember they are and lets get real if they go bust in the states as best buy is hurting bad there the cdn stores are forked and I don't see US CEO's giving a damn about their cdn stores and workers.

TOPDAWG
Premium
Midland, ON
reply to urbanriot

I hated offering that shit to people when I worked there. You're also to never call it a warranty it's called a protection plan. I mean some of the warranty's were pretty good but forking %25 of the cost of the item half the time.

GeoStar

join:2011-02-10
j2e6f5
reply to Guspaz

I guess once wireless internet becomes the norm bhell and rodjers will go the same way

whwhwhhahahhahwwhhhahahhaahahahahahah