share rss forum feed

donoreo
Premium
join:2002-05-30
North York, ON
reply to ekster

Re: Futureshop/Bestbuy abruptly shut down a dozen stores

said by ekster:

Doesn't surprise me... I mean, what kind of a person thinks that it's a good business to own two different stores that offer the exact same thing for the exact same price and place them next to each other everywhere? Twice the space does not mean twice the profit.

A lot of them were located beside each other before BB bought FS. I did not think it made sense to keep both brands going.
--
The irony of common sense, it is not that common.
I cannot deny anything I did not say.
A kitten dies every time someone uses "then" and "than" incorrectly.
I mock people who give their children odd spelling of names.

bt

join:2009-02-26
canada
kudos:1

said by donoreo:

A lot of them were located beside each other before BB bought FS. I did not think it made sense to keep both brands going.

They've also built new ones beside each other, though.

TLS2000
Crazy Canuck
Premium
join:2004-02-24
Mississauga, ON
Reviews:
·TekSavvy Cable
·Rogers Hi-Speed

said by bt:

said by donoreo:

They've also built new ones beside each other, though.

BB bought Futureshop just before their first stores opened up here. They never actually competed with one another.
--
Tom

elwoodblues
Elwood Blues
Premium
join:2006-08-30
Somewhere in
kudos:2

That's something I never figured out, why buy a chain, leave it in place,and open up your own stores for competition.

I read years ago where the CEO said wit FS having 20% of the market , that left 80% for BB to go after.

dirtyjeffer
Anons on ignore, but not due to fear.
Premium
join:2002-02-21
London, ON

said by elwoodblues:

That's something I never figured out, why buy a chain, leave it in place,and open up your own stores for competition.

I read years ago where the CEO said wit FS having 20% of the market , that left 80% for BB to go after.

i agree...i never understood that either...dumb.
--
People sleep peaceably in their beds at night only because rough men stand ready to do violence on their behalf.

- George Orwell

nitzguy
Premium
join:2002-07-11
Sudbury, ON
reply to elwoodblues

said by elwoodblues:

I believe at the time (going back to 2001 now) that FS was not in all centres and had a small presence out west I believe and being a perdominantely eastern based organization...

Its also I believe silly to have a FS and BB in a town with less than 200k people...I don't believe both are properly supported, now its tough for me to argue this, but have any "new" Future Shop stores opened in the last 5 years? (new being net new, not relocated stores).

Perhaps its just holding onto that brand? Also the fact that BB isn't on commission and FS reps are would be the only other thing I could tell what the difference is...

bt

join:2009-02-26
canada
kudos:1

said by nitzguy:

Its also I believe silly to have a FS and BB in a town with less than 200k people...I don't believe both are properly supported, now its tough for me to argue this, but have any "new" Future Shop stores opened in the last 5 years? (new being net new, not relocated stores).

Yep. They opened a new FS in Ottawa a year or two ago.

TOPDAWG
Premium
join:2005-04-27
Midland, ON
kudos:3
reply to nitzguy

yeah they have a new one in barrie it's forking huge and a new best buy opened in the same mall at the same time. The one they closed in barrie was redone inside but it's not near the size of the new one they still have.