spc
uniqs

milnoc
join:2001-03-05
Ottawa

milnoc to Guspaz

to Guspaz

Re: Futureshop/Bestbuy abruptly shut down a dozen stores

That might explain why the Centreville store started to carry household appliances a few months ago, having moved almost all of their disc media to a smaller space on the second floor. Before that, only the Forum store sold appliances . It might have been advanced preparation for closing the Forum store.

Guspaz
Guspaz
MVM
join:2001-11-05
Montreal, QC

Guspaz

MVM

The Forum location has never carried appliances (other than air conditioners on a seasonal basis). The Pointe-Claire location does, though. Washers/driers/refrigerators/etc. and such.

milnoc
join:2001-03-05
Ottawa

milnoc

I believe the Forum location once sold vacuum cleaners on the ground floor. But the last time I was there was probably six to eight years ago, so I can't be sure.

Anyway, because of online shopping, big box stores are on their way to becoming obsolete. I usually shop for my big ticket audio/video items at a privately owned place called Codell Audio, and shop online for all of my computer stuff and most of my clothes!

There's no better feeling for a guy than to order your stuff from L.L. Bean, knowing it'll fit you perfectly most of the time (including the shoes), it's easy to return stuff that doesn't fit, and you never have to drag your sorry ass to a huge department store looking like a deer caught in headlights!

As for the job losses at FF/BB, I can't say I feel sorry for them. They work either for their sales quotas or their commissions. They rarely work for their customer.

Guspaz
Guspaz
MVM
join:2001-11-05
Montreal, QC

Guspaz

MVM

said by milnoc:

I believe the Forum location once sold vacuum cleaners on the ground floor. But the last time I was there was probably six to eight years ago, so I can't be sure.

Perhaps it was different long ago, but the Forum location does not have a ground floor. There is an entrance on that level but it's just a tiny bit of floorspace where they keep their elevator and stairway up to their store on the floor above.

Futureshop always made pricematching a hassle. It had to be the exact same item (and futureshop has lots of futureshop-only SKUs that effectively for price matching), the online retailer had to have a brick and mortars branch (they eventually got rid of this one), and then they had to include the shipping costs in the pricematch, even if it didn't make sense (like if shipping would have been free in a bigger order). And the item had to be instock at that exact moment.

In the end it was rarely worth it to pricematch, because the price difference was very small once you finally found a place that Futureshop was willing to pricematch.

Meanwhile, NCIX price matches almost anything. Their only rules are it has to be in Canada and in stock. All you do to pricematch is paste the URL and price, and they approve most of the time...