join:2007-05-12
Alma, AR
Reviews:
·Cox HSI
·Cricket Broadband
·AT&T Wireless Br..
reply to ImpldConsent

Re: Oldest running MAIN PC?

I built a system for a friend he is still using it.

»www.youtube.com/watch?v=e6hv_SXi1oA

intok

join:2012-03-15
reply to ImpldConsent
Athlon64 3500+
2Gb DDR400
8800GTS (G80)
Linux Mint 13

Can still do what I need.

Selenia
Gentoo Convert
Premium
join:2006-09-22
Fort Smith, AR
kudos:2
reply to ImpldConsent
Oldest former main computer is a TRS-80 that still runs, though it is only used/shown for nostalgic reasons. 976 khz, 16 color(2-bit) graphics. had a tape drive with length of the tape capacity

Oldest active is my main laptop(most my desktops are newer). AMD Turion II@2.5Ghz(scaled for power management), 6GB RAM, 250GB hard drive, ATI Radeon HD4200 graphics. Plugs along nicely for most of my tasks. Storage is a bit small, but used cloud solutions as my tablet and phone are even smaller and can't accept a usb storage device. I am almost always under unlimited wifi when stationary, except at a few friends. Convenient to stream media and keep the storage free. I run Debian Linux and found a good config with the Gallium3D graphics drivers for that card. Does more with OpenGL than it ever did on DirectX. Lucky for me, most hardware accelerated apps in Linux are OpenGL based. Tried a few DirectX games in WINE. Glitches for some, but overall impressive. Just fyi if you are a Linux user looking to help push that card.
--
A fool thinks they know everything.

A wise person knows enough to know they couldn't possibly know everything.

There are zealots for every OS, like every religion. They do not represent the majority of users for either.

Indy Sabre
Sabre Rider From Indianapolis

join:2003-10-02
reply to ImpldConsent
Still have a nice Dell D8300 running XP. I have replaced dead Video card and swapped the hard drive but it is still ticking.

slyphoxj

join:2002-06-23
Brook Park, OH
kudos:1
Reviews:
·ObiVoice
·WOW Internet and..
·magicjack.com
·Callcentric
reply to ImpldConsent
My main PC (at least I still consider it my main rig) is a Dell Vostro 1500 laptop that I got as a refurb from the Dell Outlet store about a week or so before Christmas 2007):

Core2Duo T5470 1.60GHz
4GB DDR2 RAM (upgraded from the 1GB it originally came with a few months after purchase)
320gb 7200rpm Western Digital Scorpio HDD (upgraded from the 120gb 5400rpm WD HDD it came with - upgraded about 3 (or 4?) years ago)
Nvidia 8400GS discrete GPU with 128MB RAM
4 USB 2.0 ports (seems as though most lower to mid end laptops these days have only three USB ports?)
1 1394 (FireWire) port
DVD reader/writer drive (does dual layer)
WinXP Home (I updated to SP3 a couple years back) - I'd love to go to Win 7 but don't want to cough up $100+ to do it on a 5+ year old laptop... maybe I could use the COA key from my Acer netbook that came with Win7?)
9 cell battery (I used to get about 5-6 hours battery life but only get about 2-3 these days with 37% wear according to Notebook Hardware Control)

I still have my Gateway GP6-266 266MHz Pentium II rig that I got back in June 1998. I turned it into a FreeNAS server a few months ago but would like to replace it with a PogoPlug when there's a deal for them for $20 or less.

norwegian
Premium
join:2005-02-15
Outback
reply to ImpldConsent

Main box, AMD X2
The kids computers and spares are P4's or similar AMD vintage.

hrickpa

join:2001-06-07
Reading, PA
Reviews:
·Verizon Online DSL

1 edit
reply to ImpldConsent
These are my oldest running that are currently running
Main PC 1 (built in 2006) used parts
Intel PIII 1ghz
1 gig ram
40gig hd and 80 gig HD
Windows XP
is a file server and RADIUS server for my Wi-Fi
on 24x7

Main PC 2
Amd Athlon XP 2600 (built in late 2003)
2 gig ram
nvidia Geforce 6200 256 meg
120 gig, 500 gig, 250 gig, 80 gig hard drives
TV tuner
SB live 5.1 platnum
Windows XP

Selenia
Gentoo Convert
Premium
join:2006-09-22
Fort Smith, AR
kudos:2
reply to Indy Sabre
I always end up swapping hard drives way before anything else dies(usually 2-3 times, before something like a case fan gets noisy, very easy+cheap fix, except in some cheaply made OEMs, still cheap but you may need to figure out retrofitting such a case to work with a standard fan). I miss the old drives. New ones had capacity and speed, but the old ones used to last forever. Many had been swapped from PC to PC via adapters to look back on some old retro data. Got one from one of the oldest Apple Macs(back when it was just called MacOS) and still ticking. The PSU blew on it a few years back, otherwise, the whole box would be operational. It was a cost vs benefit factor for me in replacing the PSU on a currently limited budget(money was not an object when I had more work), as keeping current machines in top shape takes priority.
--
A fool thinks they know everything.

A wise person knows enough to know they couldn't possibly know everything.

There are zealots for every OS, like every religion. They do not represent the majority of users for either.

coxta
Ultramundane
Premium
join:2000-07-15
LALALALALALA
I have two pieces of medical equipment that I still use. One is a 486 running Win 3.1 and the other is a modified laptop that runs NT 4.0.

Why not upgrade? They work fine for the purpose they were designed for and upgrading would cost far in excess of hardware and software: it includes extensive testing and documentation that would need to be sent to the FDA for approval. In essence it would have to be done on thousands of machines and would cost millions of dollars and then you would have no real improvement in functionality.
--
Numquam ponenda est pluralitas sine necessitate

pcunite

join:2010-04-10
reply to ImpldConsent
Nov 2008
Intel Q6600 2.4Ghz Quad
Asus P5k-E
Geforce 8800GT
Intel X-25m 80GB
NEC 2490WUXi2
Windows 7 x64

I'm going to build a i5-3570K/GeForce GTX 660 system soon, however.

fuziwuzi
Not born yesterday
Premium
join:2005-07-01
Atlanta, GA
reply to ImpldConsent
My desktop computer has evolved over the years. Motherboards, processors, etc. get swapped as needed. Currently it is:

Asrock 775i65G mobo, Intel 865G chipset
Intel Core2Duo E6700 2.66GHz processor
2GB DDR dual-channel RAM
ATI HD4650 AGP 512MB graphics, 1920x1080x32bpp@75Hz on 22" LCD screen
Creative Labs SB Audigy SE audio
Seagate 500GB system harddrive
Seagate 1TB data harddrive

Running Windows 7 Ultimate 64-bit.

Runs perfectly, no issues.
--
Teabaggers: Destroying America is Priority #1

poppster
Tell the truth and then run.
Premium
join:2003-12-23
Midwest
kudos:1
reply to ImpldConsent
I built this pc like 8 or 9 years ago and it's still kicking. It's the print server for out network.

AMD 1800+ socket 462?
512mb pc2100
Asus mobo
Geforce mx440 agp 4x
20GB IDE HD
Windows XP SP3

Still runs like the day I built it!

Our main laptop is a dell d620
Intel Core 2duo
3GB DDR2 Ram
320GB HD
XP taken off Ubuntu 12.10 put on (using now)

Our main pc consists of,

AMD X3 435 @ 3.3ghz
4GB DDR3
2x 320GB Sata II Drives
2x AMD Branded HD4850's in crossfire
This machine is our winter heater......video cards get hot as crap!
--
What else would you do?
--
There is hope!