All Forums Hot Topics Gallery
spc
uniqs
ez2cy
join:2008-03-05

ez2cy to aguen

to aguen

Re: [WIN7] Memory dump

Just the two files I uploaded that are from 2010. Only 2 there.

Why I was asking about the uploaded printscreen, if that is where it's going instead to the Kernel memory dump, and if I should change that. ????
dave
Premium Member
join:2000-05-04
not in ohio

dave

Premium Member

There are two types of dump that you can configure:

1) "All of kernel memory" - ends up in C:\Windows\memory.dmp

2) "Small memory dump" - ends up in C:\Windows\minidump

You're configured for #1, aguen See Profile gave instructions for #2.

Take a look and see if you have a recently-written C:\Windows\memory.dmp. Though it might be too large to upload.

It might be worth switching your config to "small memory dump" so you can collect more than one, since we may need to look for commonalities.
ez2cy

1 edit

ez2cy

Ok...I have...C:\Windows\LiveKernelReports

Within that is a file "WATCHDOG" but nothing with today's date.

the list of files that have today's date on them are; (in Windows)

assembly
inf
Installer
system32
bootstat.exe
setupact.log
WindowsUpdate.log

Should I be looking in one of those for something?

I will change the config to small memory dump as suggested.
ez2cy

ez2cy

No one?
dave
Premium Member
not in ohio

dave

Premium Member

No, that's not it.

It's either C:\Windows\memory.dmp (one file from kernel memory dump) or C:\Windows\minidump (folder containing multiple files)
ez2cy

ez2cy

WEll then something is really screwed up.

There is not Memory.dmp.....there is minidump...but the two files in it are the ones I posted and they are from 2010.

It's just done the blue screen dump thing to me 3 times in the past hour.

Also, computer is really slow booting up, to password sign in,...and then after I enter it. NOt sure if that helps or not.

When it does boot up, get a message from the bottom right screen that says, a windows service did not start....but it says something about other users not being able to use it or something. ????

Also, where someone told me to change the "kernel dump" to "small memory dump" in Systems, start up and recovery, it has "Small dump directory" as %SystemRoot%\Minidump ????? no idea what that means
dave
Premium Member
not in ohio

dave

Premium Member

%systemroot% is a symbol that means "where the OS is installed", and it is usually C:\Windows, though need not be. Using the symbol makes the setting independent of the name chosen by whoever installed the OS.

So, leave it as it is, and your minidump files will be in C:\Windows\Minidump
ez2cy

ez2cy

Ok...but that's the point....no files are going to Minidump period. I found how to stop the auto reboot so I can read the whole blue screen.

But...as I said, it's happened this evening a few times and no files after in minidump.

I'll wait for it to happen again I guess
dave
Premium Member
not in ohio

dave

Premium Member

said by ez2cy:

But...as I said, it's happened this evening a few times and no files after in minidump.

AH, I missed that it had crashed after you'd switched to the minidump setting.

Weird.

The only reasons I can think that might happen involve disk problems: failure to read the crash handler code, or failure to write the dump to disk.

Ah, do you have a page file on C: ? Certainly with full dumps, the dump is written to the page file, and then copied out to the final file after reboot (all this because you don't want a messed-up system doing complicated stunts like creating files). Minidumps are likely handled the same way though I am uncertain of that.