how-to block ads

Search Topic:
uniqs
share rss forum feed

UmmaGumma

join:2011-06-19

[WIN7] Media Center Fails EPG Update

Win7 64B Home Premium

Media Center will not update the program guide. I have to rerun the TV setup about every 10 days to get a new guide. Sometimes that will run, other times I have to reboot first (PC is always on).

I've hunted the web several times and see lots of other reports of the same problem, but no fixes. I've seen a couple of mentions of re-installing Win7, but that's not something I look forward to, especially with all the updates they've posted in the last couple of years.

Has anybody found a way to get Media Center to pull down the Guide after it has failed?

plencnerb
Premium
join:2000-09-25
Carpentersville, IL
kudos:3

If what you are talking about is the guide that comes with "Internet TV", it should not even be working anymore.

Per this thread, Microsoft has stopped supporting Internet TV inside of Windows Media Center as of 09/20/2012.

»[WIN7] September 20th Internet TV in WMC ceases

If however you are talking about something different, then I'm not sure. The only "program guide" that I knew inside of Media Center was the one from "Internet TV".

--Brian
--
============================
--Brian Plencner

E-Mail: CoasterBrian72Cancer@gmail.com
Note: Kill Cancer to Reply via e-mail

UmmaGumma

I'm aware they dropped the Internet TV section, but I'm talking about the EPG for broadcast TV when you're using a tuner card.

plencnerb
Premium
join:2000-09-25
Carpentersville, IL
kudos:3

Oh Ok. Like I said, that was the only way I knew a guide would be displayed inside of WMC.

I've never used a tuner card, so I'm not sure.

However, I did a quick google search, and came up with this link on Microsoft's page...

»answers.microsoft.com/en-us/wind···af639110

Not sure if you saw that or not, or if you have tried some of those suggestions. Maybe one of them will help.

Edit: Here is another one

»www.missingremote.com/forums/epg···updating

--Brian
--
============================
--Brian Plencner

E-Mail: CoasterBrian72Cancer@gmail.com
Note: Kill Cancer to Reply via e-mail

darcilicious
Cyber Librarian
Premium
join:2001-01-02
Forest Grove, OR
kudos:4
Reviews:
·Frontier FiOS

said by plencnerb:

Oh Ok. Like I said, that was the only way I knew a guide would be displayed inside of WMC.

I've never used a tuner card, so I'm not sure.

Just to clarify (I have a tuner configured with my WMC on W7 x64 Premium), if you have any kind of "tuner" connected and configured with Windows Media Center, you will get a TV Program Guide inside of WMC. While the Internet shows also used to be displayed in the Program Guide, they were managed/fed separately from the TV Program Guide for tuners.

UmmaGumma, wish I could help but I haven't had any issues with my EPG getting updated via WMC.
--
♬ Dragon of good fortune struggles with the trickster Fox ♬

UmmaGumma

This is the problem:
»social.technet.microsoft.com/For···97d65f4b

See the post dated:Thursday, October 15, 2009 12:09 AM

Yeah, it's an old post, but it's the identical problem. I can find similar posts on various tech forums all across the web, but not a single solution other than 'reinstall windows 7' (which I'm not really interested in doing). And even those posts are all a couple of years old.

Somebody, somewhere must have found a way by now.

RX300

join:2004-02-23
Bluff Dale, TX
reply to UmmaGumma

In Media Center, tasks, TV, Guide, Get Latest Guide Listings.
Does that fail?

UmmaGumma

Every time.

I've also found some posts outlining a way to do a manual update from a command prompt that is supposed to work when nothing else does. That also fails.

The only way to get a new guide is to repeat the TV set-up.