Who Is John Galt?
Premium
join:2000-08-06
Galt's Gulch
kudos:2

1 recommendation

reply to kingdome74

Re: Best Solution For Angry Wife

I assume your objective is to prevent your computer being infected by malware exploiting a flaw in Java? Not sure how only enabling Java in a single browser would prevent this. Once a flaw is exploited the whole machine is toast not just the browser. Enabling Java on a site by site basis will work but human error is always possible ("Oops I didn't mean to do that."). Add-ons etc can reduce the possibility of you being infected but it's still possible.

To positively prevent your PC from being infected you must isolate the browser/Java from the rest of the machine. VM or Sandboxie will do that.
--
Don't feed trolls--it only makes them grow!

dave
Premium,MVM
join:2000-05-04
not in ohio
kudos:8
Reviews:
·Verizon FiOS

said by StuartMW:

To positively prevent your PC from being infected you must isolate the browser/Java from the rest of the machine. VM or Sandboxie will do that.

It seems to me that separate accounts will go a long way: assuming sensible use of file protection on behalf of the user (i.e., don't go assigning "everyone: full"), then the only thing that a runaway Java app or other malware can do is to destroy that account.

Whether or not a separate account (with limited capability, naturally) is more palatable than a VM is up to the user to determine, I suppose.

Me, I'd probably plump for separate hardware

AVD
Respice, Adspice, Prospice
Premium
join:2003-02-06
Onion, NJ
kudos:1

said by dave:

[

Me, I'd probably plump for separate hardware

two separate machines. If all she does is java gaming, install linux.

barring that, dual boot a simple linux (I strongly recommend jolios).
--
* seek help if having trouble coping
--Standard disclaimers apply.--