how-to block ads

Search Topic:
uniqs
share rss forum feed

rustydusty

join:2009-09-29
Red Deer, AB
reply to Jopon

Re: Shaw uses some sneaky kind of new throttling.

Shaw is not throttling download, please everyone get it through your head. If your download speeds are slow it's congestion, not throttling.

capdjq
Premium
join:2000-11-01
Vancouver

How is it I never seem to have a problem with download speeds, unless there is 10 seeders and 3500 leechers, but everyone else appears throttled?

ravenchilde

join:2011-04-01
kudos:2

I suspect a lot of hardware cannot keep up with the amount of connections BT creates, alongside network congestion.

waldstein

join:2010-07-25
Hoserland

said by ravenchilde:

I suspect a lot of hardware cannot keep up with the amount of connections BT creates, alongside network congestion.

That, too....along with a near-infinite variety of routings and individual originating servers. Seems to me that p2p speeds are so over-determined that it is silly to use them to assess one's line speeds at all. My speeds sometimes vary wildly; other times, they can be rock solidly extremely FAST or interminably SLOW. Personally, I've seen no evidence of throttling by Shaw, but what I should really be saying is: If Shaw REALLY IS throttling, how in hell would I know it anyway?

kevinds
Premium
join:2003-05-01
Calgary, AB
kudos:3
Reviews:
·Shaw

www.measurementlab.net

Has a few tests to detect throttling, in both directions, not 100% but they can/will give indications on what to look for/at.
--
Yes, I am not employed and looking for IT work. Have passport, will travel.