share rss forum feed

patcat88

join:2002-04-05
Jamaica, NY
kudos:1
reply to cdru

Re: Can't locate main water shut-off valve

said by cdru:

Worst case, a plumber or the city could shut off the line to the house so that one could be added. I've also seen a valve replaced added without shutting it off at the street by freezing the line to plug the water flow. Dry ice and liquid nitrogen have been used. Probably not something you'll want to do without experiencing though as Bad Things™ can happen if you mess it up.

Sidewalk valves have a tendency to get paved over during sidewalk replacement in NYC. Rather than use dry ice (or better yet, dry ice, a garbage bag, and alcohol), you can the correct tool »www.ridgid.com/Tools/SF2500-Pipe-Freezer . Warning, price tag says you will be renting it.

cdru
Go Colts
Premium,MVM
join:2003-05-14
Fort Wayne, IN
kudos:7

1 recommendation

reply to patcat88

said by patcat88:

Code illegal, the shutoff must be at the fixture. You can feel free to add more shutoffs whereever you want for maintenance, but there must be one at the fixture.

So are you using current NY code or NY code from 23 years ago to decide this code issue in Ottawa, ON? And are you sure the existing lines weren't grandfathered in under previous codes prior to that.

Regardless, what difference does it matter. If it doesn't have a shutoff now it doesn't have a shutoff. It doesn't change the fact whether it is or isn't against code then or now. And if he is asking to add one, he's fixing the problem anyways.

To the OP, I'd try to trace back from the water heater. Depending on how the pipes are ran you may or may not be able to find it. If it's ran in a finished wall, it could have been covered up. Or it was never there and there was only a shutoff at the street or where ever your main is. If there are similar houses to yours in the area built around the same time, you might check with those owners to see if they have one and where it's located. That might give you an idea if you do have to dig into a wall.

Worst case, a plumber or the city could shut off the line to the house so that one could be added. I've also seen a valve replaced added without shutting it off at the street by freezing the line to plug the water flow. Dry ice and liquid nitrogen have been used. Probably not something you'll want to do without experiencing though as Bad Things™ can happen if you mess it up.

patcat88

Jamaica, NY
reply to cdru

said by cdru:

Every water meter I've ever seen in my area is indoors. It's never been outdoors. Then again, we have a 36" frost line so it would make things a little hard to look at on a monthly basis in the pre-RF days.

There is one sidewalk meter on my block in NYC, but overall its very rare. In the pre-RF days, the meters had a cable going to an electrical connector on the outside of the building. For the sidewalk meters there was a plastic black contactless knob on the manhole cover. I assume the meter reader put a gadget over it to read it.

Bubba
GIT-R-DONE
Premium,MVM
join:2002-08-19
St. Andrews
reply to cdru

I digress then.... many areas south of mason dixon is out by street

SparkChaser
Premium
join:2000-06-06
Downingtown, PA
kudos:3
Reviews:
·Verizon FiOS
reply to lutful

Around here every house has a curb shutoff in addition to the home main shut off. You need one of these and a plumber.

»m.homedepot.com/p/5-8-in-x-60-in···0176507/

We had a pipe failure before the house shut off after 3 in of water in the basement we got it shut off at the curb
--
--
--
"Facts do not cease to exist because they are ignored." - Aldous Huxley

cdru
Go Colts
Premium,MVM
join:2003-05-14
Fort Wayne, IN
kudos:7
reply to Bubba

said by Bubba:

In our area and presume most areas of US, we can turn our incoming water off at the water meter. All the homes I've owned in TN, ARK and MS, the water meter is/was located at the street in front of our homes.

Every water meter I've ever seen in my area is indoors. It's never been outdoors. Then again, we have a 36" frost line so it would make things a little hard to look at on a monthly basis in the pre-RF days.

Bubba
GIT-R-DONE
Premium,MVM
join:2002-08-19
St. Andrews
reply to lutful

In our area and presume most areas of US, we can turn our incoming water off at the water meter. All the homes I've owned in TN, ARK and MS, the water meter is/was located at the street in front of our homes.

patcat88

Jamaica, NY
reply to lutful

said by lutful:

I want to replace 23 years old water wasting toilets and also add shut-off valves under each sink. However, I looked all around the basement but can't find the main water shut-off valve.

Who built the place that there are no per fixture shutoffs?
said by lutful:

My hunch is that it is located behind wall panels in the finished area of the basement. I have an old magnetic nail/stud finder which shows some activity behind one area which could be steel clamps/nails holding the copper pipe.

Where is the meter? How do they read it?
said by lutful:

I want ( a plumber ) to put a new shut-off valve where I can see the cold water pipe near the ceiling of the unfinished area.

Code illegal, the shutoff must be at the fixture. You can feel free to add more shutoffs whereever you want for maintenance, but there must be one at the fixture.

said by lutful:

Could he turn off the water outdoors at the water meter to do this job?

I hope your toilets aren't fed from the gas meter. The FD chief will say you had some really bad chili last night.

As for a sidewalk meter, I am not familiar with those so I can't comment. How do they not freeze in Canada?

lutful
... of ideas
Premium
join:2005-06-16
Ottawa, ON

I want to replace 23 years old water wasting toilets and also add shut-off valves under each sink. However, I looked all around the basement but can't find the main water shut-off valve.

My hunch is that it is located behind wall panels in the finished area of the basement. I have an old magnetic nail/stud finder which shows some activity behind one area which could be steel clamps/nails holding the copper pipe.

I want ( a plumber ) to put a new shut-off valve where I can see the cold water pipe near the ceiling of the unfinished area. Could he turn off the water outdoors at the water meter to do this job?