Snuffbox
nice irl
Premium Member
join:2011-04-15
Milwaukee, WI

Snuffbox

Premium Member

Addon Request

Anyone here have the ability to write a fairly basic addon?

I want to create an addon that can mark a chosen target independent of Party/Raid lead similar to the "+" from Healers Must Die addon.

Previously I was under the impression that this wasn't possible, but Healers Must Die is capable of doing it, so I believe this to be doable.

To be clear, I'm requesting the mark be visible only to the user. I realize that it is impossible to make it viewable by all players.

Zupe
MVM
join:2001-11-29
New York, NY

Zupe

MVM

This looks like it's still in development, and mostly for pvp at the moment, but might work - »www.curse.com/addons/wow/tacktic

Also, there's an addon I use that puts a mark on the nameplate of my current target and works for pve - »www.curse.com/addons/wow ··· ndicator

Snuffbox
nice irl
Premium Member
Milwaukee, WI

Snuffbox

Premium Member

Both look promising, even to use simlpy as a starting point.

Thank you Zupe.
Cptbeatstix
join:2011-12-21
Carrollton, TX

Cptbeatstix to Snuffbox

to Snuffbox
Seems like a lot this would work great for target switching in arena.

McBrain
BRB Face Melting
join:2010-05-06
Marietta, GA

McBrain

I could be wrong, but I think you can macro arena target changes...

like /targetarenatarget1 or something like that...and that's just a guess off the top of my head.

A BUNCH of the top arena guys play completely void of addons since they aren't allowed in tournament play. There's a lot of code-type shit you can change to virtually 'create an addon' without creating an addon...all of it is over my head at this point though.

Give me a few months and I'll be all over shit like this. I'm going to do 5 things in Okinawa for 2 years: WoW, skype, sleep, eat, and gym...in that order. By the time I'm midway through my tour, I should be a master of all things WoW. (or at least that's my goal)

Snuffbox
nice irl
Premium Member
Milwaukee, WI

Snuffbox

Premium Member

ATR (Arena Tournament Realm) allows addons, I compete most seasons. Blizzcon tourny's do not.

I use Arena 1/2/3/4/5 macros for targeting and setting focus. However an addon like the one described above would make locating your focus target much easier.

This is important for things like Focus>Scatter>Trap macros.

Or making sure you're in range/LOS for Focus>Shadowstep>Kick macros.
Cptbeatstix
Carrollton, TX

Cptbeatstix to Snuffbox

to Snuffbox
I use mouseovers for cc like blind. When you have arena frames you don't really need to do a focus target. But I'm bad in pvp right now lol. But the mouse over blind is great when I get slammed by two other people.

Snuffbox
nice irl
Premium Member
Milwaukee, WI

Snuffbox

Premium Member

said by Cptbeatstix:

I use mouseovers for cc like blind. When you have arena frames you don't really need to do a focus target. But I'm bad in pvp right now lol. But the mouse over blind is great when I get slammed by two other people.

If I'm on a melee, my right mouse button is virtually always clicked and my player is moving constantly - Mouseovers have a place, but especially useful for a healer. Every single heal/buff on my healer has a mouseover macro.

Focus macros are extremely fluid and save even more time.
Cptbeatstix
Carrollton, TX

Cptbeatstix to Snuffbox

to Snuffbox
I believe that the add on you're requesting might actually be against the ToS. I remember an addon back in cata (maybe wrath) that would actually put a layer to show you where to stand for certain phases. It was a violation of the ToS and anyone that used it got a temp ban.

Just make sure what you ask for is ToS legal. There is also a bunch of stuff online about making LUA addons for wow. I'm not smart enough to make one lol.

Snuffbox
nice irl
Premium Member
Milwaukee, WI

Snuffbox

Premium Member

As long as it's a "name plate" addon it isn't against ToS. I also believe Curse rejects addons against ToS. Thirdly, I'm a hardcore botter... so I would still use it even if it were against ToS

But thanks for the heads up.
Cptbeatstix
Carrollton, TX

Cptbeatstix to Snuffbox

to Snuffbox
I don't see where people get a hold of those pvp bots and what not. Knowing my luck, I would get banned.

Snuffbox
nice irl
Premium Member
Milwaukee, WI

Snuffbox

Premium Member

I do have another request if anyone here is skilled at writing macros.

Currently I have individual macros for Target arena 1 with a modifier for Focus arena1, and then a separate macro for target arena 2 etc etc.

Is anyone able to write a functional (Yes, this is key) macro that will toggle arena 1/2/3/4 each time you hit the macro rather than having individual macros?

Further clarity: Hit the macro once, target arena1, hit the macro again, target arena2 - after the 4th time, it resets back to arena1.
Cptbeatstix
Carrollton, TX

Cptbeatstix to Snuffbox

to Snuffbox
Immer's insight would be great on this. He know's his stuff about macros.
Cptbeatstix

Cptbeatstix to Snuffbox

to Snuffbox
You could try something like this:

/tar [mod:shift,@arena1]
/tar [mod:alt,@arena2]
/tar [mod:ctrl,@arena3]

/focus [target=focus, noexists]
/target [combat, noexists] focus
/clearfocus [nocombat, noexists]
/stopmacro [target=focus, noexits]
/target focus
/targetlasttarget
/focus [exists]
/targetlasttarget

this might actually work. Of course, just switch the mod button to your liking. Two macros unfortunately.....

Zupe
MVM
join:2001-11-29
New York, NY

Zupe to Snuffbox

MVM

to Snuffbox
said by Snuffbox:

I do have another request if anyone here is skilled at writing macros.

Currently I have individual macros for Target arena 1 with a modifier for Focus arena1, and then a separate macro for target arena 2 etc etc.

Is anyone able to write a functional (Yes, this is key) macro that will toggle arena 1/2/3/4 each time you hit the macro rather than having individual macros?

Further clarity: Hit the macro once, target arena1, hit the macro again, target arena2 - after the 4th time, it resets back to arena1.

Try the macros listed here, assuming Blizzard didn't change any of the functions in the months since that was posted - »us.battle.net/wow/en/for ··· 68476976

Immer
Gentleman
Premium Member
join:2010-01-07
Evans, GA

Immer to Cptbeatstix

Premium Member

to Cptbeatstix
said by Cptbeatstix:

You could try something like this:

/tar [mod:shift,@arena1]
/tar [mod:alt,@arena2]
/tar [mod:ctrl,@arena3]

/focus [target=focus, noexists]
/target [combat, noexists] focus
/clearfocus [nocombat, noexists]
/stopmacro [target=focus, noexits]
/target focus
/targetlasttarget
/focus [exists]
/targetlasttarget

I'm not sure what your second macro is trying to accomplish. It will run through all of those things every time it fires.

@snuff In the Keybinds menu, there is an option to "target nearest enemy player" that is unbound on my account. It would work like TAB does for "target nearest enemy" (which is to say... not perfectly). If the goal is just to cycle through the Arena targets with one button, you might try binding that command in the UI.
Immer

Immer to Zupe

Premium Member

to Zupe
said by Zupe:

Try the macros listed here, assuming Blizzard didn't change any of the functions in the months since that was posted - »us.battle.net/wow/en/for ··· 68476976

Good thread. This one has promise:

/run if not A3T then CreateFrame("Button","A3T",nil,"SecureActionButtonTemplate") A3T:SetAttribute("type","target") SecureHandlerWrapScript(A3T,"OnClick",A3T,[[ A3u=(A3u or 0)%3+1 self:SetAttribute("unit","arena"..A3u) ]]) end
/click A3T

edit: I should warn, make sure you hit the button once after logging in/reloading before queueing up. Otherwise if the first attempt is while you're in combat (fighting in arena) it will throw an error. The first time you hit the macro it sets up the secure target cycling. After the first hit you can hit it in or out of combat.

Snuffbox
nice irl
Premium Member
Milwaukee, WI

Snuffbox to Immer

Premium Member

to Immer
said by Immer:

If the goal is just to cycle through the Arena targets with one button, you might try binding that command in the UI.

The goal is actually consistency/speed. Press 1x is always Arena1, pressed 3x is always arena3.

Nearest target will obviously be all over the place just like Tab targeting.
Cptbeatstix
Carrollton, TX

Cptbeatstix to Snuffbox

to Snuffbox
What kind of keyboard do you run snuff? Right now I only have F1 F2 and F3 for my arena target macros. if you have an mmo one like the razer anasi or the wow one, you should be able to use the left side column of buttons to switch quickly.

Snuffbox
nice irl
Premium Member
Milwaukee, WI

Snuffbox

Premium Member

I use a mechanical Razor Blackwidow.

I'm not lacking keybinds. If you see my screenshot in the other thread.

QERTFGTYZXCV123456 + Alt/Ctrl/Shift modifiers for each bind.

= 54 binds all easily reachable by the left hand. (Shift/Ctrl/Alt are bound on the mouse)
Cptbeatstix
Carrollton, TX

Cptbeatstix

I mostly use the modifiers on the razor keyboard. I've just been having this issue with my strafe keys "sticking". Don't know if its the keyboard itself or the drivers.