spc

spacer

how-to block ads

Search Topic:
uniqs
share rss forum feed

jhvugv

@qwest.net

cox just upgraded its speeds, when will centurylink?

waking up this morning to see cox phoenix customers getting speeds on their highest tiers of 150+ mbps, while the highest tier on centurylink is 40mbps.

they need to raise their speeds to compete, so when will it happen?

firedrakes

join:2009-01-29
Arcadia, FL

really dont know

Hazy Arc

join:2006-04-10
Greenwood, SC
reply to jhvugv

We have a hard enough time getting the speeds we already pay for. I don't think "upgrade" is in Centurylink's vocabulary.

mdpeterman

join:2010-10-10
Westerville, OH
reply to jhvugv

We are still stuck on 10/768 DSL from CL here, so 40mbps sounds great. They need to upgrade here. Heck I'm literally 1500 feet from TWC that has Wideband, but stuck on crappy CL DSL.

Ken1943

join:2001-12-30
Denver, CO
reply to jhvugv

DSL will never get anywhere near the speeds of cable. It's just the nature of the beast.

emig5m

join:2004-02-16
Columbia, NJ
reply to mdpeterman

said by mdpeterman:

We are still stuck on 10/768 DSL from CL here, so 40mbps sounds great. They need to upgrade here. Heck I'm literally 1500 feet from TWC that has Wideband, but stuck on crappy CL DSL.

I hear that! I'm only 800 ft from Comcast Cable! (I'm stuck on 8Mb DSL). 40Mb would be godsend... DSL is like the new dialup!

Caedmon

@cox.net
reply to jhvugv

On the other hand centurylink delivers for us. We have 40mb service and average about 30 mb. We also have cox 20 mb service and usually see 4mb or less. cox varies a lot also - sometimes as high as 6 mb and sometimes as low as 1.3mb.

For us at least what cox promises and what they deliver are very much different.

NormanS
I gave her time to steal my mind away
Premium,MVM
join:2001-02-14
San Jose, CA
kudos:11
Reviews:
·SONIC.NET
·Pacific Bell - SBC
reply to jhvugv

said by jhvugv :

waking up this morning to see cox phoenix customers getting speeds on their highest tiers of 150+ mbps, while the highest tier on centurylink is 40mbps.

they need to raise their speeds to compete, so when will it happen?

The maximum a single copper pair can sustain using VDSL is 100 Mbps; but you have to be within 1500 feet of the DSLAM for any hope of getting that speed.

If you absolutely must have greater than 20 Mbps Internet, the only viable media for such speed is coax, or FTTP.
--
Norman
~Oh Lord, why have you come
~To Konnyu, with the Lion and the Drum

MrMoody
Free range slave
Premium
join:2002-09-03
Smithfield, NC
reply to mdpeterman

said by mdpeterman:

We are still stuck on 10/768 DSL from CL here, so 40mbps sounds great.

Here too. And Prism is available at my house (as they inform me on their weekly sales calls), so they could do it if they wanted to.
--
"When all you have in the country is people pulling coffees, flipping burgers and manufacturing financial scams, your nation is doomed."-Karl Denninger,market-ticker.org

zevus

join:2010-11-29
Chandler, TX
reply to jhvugv

the 150 Mbps, I don't really care about

the 50 Mbps upstream is astonishing

i wish I lived in an area that didn't totally gimp us out on upstream

brad152

join:2006-07-27
Phoenix, AZ
Reviews:
·CenturyLink
reply to jhvugv

Cox is all over the place, i swapped since i could only get 20/896, i'm on the 50/10 plan from Cox, and i go anywhere from 15Mbps down to 63Mbps down depending on the time. They really do not have the capacity to offer the speed their selling.

20 was fine for the download, and averaged ~19 on a regular basis, but the puny 896k upload is what killed CL for me, if i could get my 20/5 connection again, i'd go back to CL in a heartbeat.