koreyb
Open the Canadian Market NOW
join:2005-01-08
Etobicoke, ON

koreyb to elitefx

to elitefx

Re: CNOC speed matching decision due next week

said by elitefx:

Will the switch to AGG require the elimination of all Tek Docsis 2 modem tiers/users? Rogers DOES require D3 ONLY for the new higher down/up tiers.

I would say anything but lite (6mb) cable will require D3 modems. D2 modems based on how rogers has their network built, just can't keep up.

Teddy Boom
k kudos Received
Premium Member
join:2007-01-29
Toronto, ON

1 edit

Teddy Boom

Premium Member

said by koreyb:

said by elitefx:

Will the switch to AGG require the elimination of all Tek Docsis 2 modem tiers/users? Rogers DOES require D3 ONLY for the new higher down/up tiers.

I would say anything but lite (6mb) cable will require D3 modems. D2 modems based on how rogers has their network built, just can't keep up.

It isn't really related to how their network is built. However, Rogers has issued a letter stating that as of April (April 1st?) D2 will only be allowed on 6mbit. All existing customers will be grandfathered of course.

Then again, reading those letters suggests that Rogers doesn't want to sell Teksavvy any new 18mbit or 28mbit accounts after April 16th:
»Re: Update on matching Rogers new speeds?

I have (edit: I have NOT) read the decision today, but reading between the lines it seems like the CRTC overruled that bit of stupidity, but....
koreyb
Etobicoke, ON

koreyb

said by Teddy Boom:

said by koreyb:

said by elitefx:

It isn't really related to how their network is built. However, Rogers has issued a letter stating that as of April (April 1st?) D2 will only be allowed on 6mbit. All existing customers will be grandfathered of course.

Then again, reading those letters suggests that Rogers doesn't want to sell Teksavvy any new 18mbit or 28mbit accounts after April 16th:
»Re: Update on matching Rogers new speeds?

I have read the decision today, but reading between the lines it seems like the CRTC overruled that bit of stupidity, but....

Well shaw has been offering much higher speeds than Rogers on D2 modems without issue, even in highly populated areas. It's not technically impossible with a D2, but based on how the ROGERS NETWORKS are built, D2's just don't give you the performance. I NEVER recommend anyone get a D2 modem at this point and have had a huge issue with Teksavvy offering D2's for anything above 10mb, cause the less technically savvy will always pick the cheaper one. I recommended someone to TSI, and went against my recommendation due to a CSR saying the cheaper one would work and now complains about slow downs, which from what tests I have done, seems to be local node congestion D2's are affected directly by. I have a D3 on the same poi, in the same building and have 0 issue.

Teddy Boom
k kudos Received
Premium Member
join:2007-01-29
Toronto, ON

Teddy Boom

Premium Member

said by koreyb:

I recommended someone to TSI, and went against my recommendation due to a CSR saying the cheaper one would work and now complains about slow downs, which from what tests I have done, seems to be local node congestion D2's are affected directly by. I have a D3 on the same poi, in the same building and have 0 issue.

This isn't really the right thread for the discussion.. In fact I think we should open up another overarching modem thread because a lot of things should be happening (D2 rules changes, new modems?, status of DCW775).

However, I will say.. your sample size just isn't big enough. I've explained the difference between Docsis levels to at least 150 customers over the last year. I give my customers 90 days to change their minds at no cost. The vast majority of Express customers choose the cheaper modem, and none have come back for an exchange.

Also, a simple factory reset can clear up a lot of congestion issues on D2 modems (and presumably D3 as well). A factory reset allows the modem to change to a less congested channel.
koreyb
Etobicoke, ON

1 recommendation

koreyb

said by Teddy Boom:

said by koreyb:

I recommended someone to TSI, and went against my recommendation due to a CSR saying the cheaper one would work and now complains about slow downs, which from what tests I have done, seems to be local node congestion D2's are affected directly by. I have a D3 on the same poi, in the same building and have 0 issue.

This isn't really the right thread for the discussion.. In fact I think we should open up another overarching modem thread because a lot of things should be happening (D2 rules changes, new modems?, status of DCW775).

However, I will say.. your sample size just isn't big enough. I've explained the difference between Docsis levels to at least 150 customers over the last year. I give my customers 90 days to change their minds at no cost. The vast majority of Express customers choose the cheaper modem, and none have come back for an exchange.

Also, a simple factory reset can clear up a lot of congestion issues on D2 modems (and presumably D3 as well). A factory reset allows the modem to change to a less congested channel.

Not to continue this, but lower tech users will not "FACTORY RESET" nor will they mess around with the modem. It either works or it doesn't. I know a lot of people with D2 modems.. almost every one has issues during peak. My point was, D2 modems are obsolete, and to sell a D2 modem and the headache that comes with it to keep it working properly in highly populated areas especially, is not fair or right for lower tech customers. It leaves very bad taste of the ISP, as most think this is an issue with the ISP, not the technology they are using. Look at these forums, and you will see this. Rogers refuses to give anyone over 15mb a d2 modem at this point, so it's time they do the same for the new speed tiers on TPIA. You may not like it, but D2's days are over. Moving forward TSI knowing this is coming, should pick up a cheaper D3 modem like Acanac and others have, for people on a budget, but stop selling D2, as well warn people with D2, they may experience slow downs during peek. They do this with 28x1, but not 18, which has been well documented on here and off as an issue.

I'm not discrediting your theory, but we has more "TECHNICALLY INCLINED" need to realise not all share this and just want things to work correctly without having to "FACTORY RESET" or play with it. It's why APPLE does well.
InvalidError
join:2008-02-03

InvalidError

said by koreyb:

I'm not discrediting your theory, but we has more "TECHNICALLY INCLINED" need to realise not all share this and just want things to work correctly without having to "FACTORY RESET" or play with it.

If Rogers configured their CMTS properly, the CMTS should automatically issue dynamic channel switch instructions to D2 modems to balance the load across available U/D QAMs on the node, no need to reset the modem for that.

If none of the QAMs have enough spare capacity to accommodate someone trying to use 15+Mbps on D2 then yeah, they are very much screwed.

The same thing that makes DOC3 great screws DOC2 big time: DOC3 allows much more efficient QAM filling and more tightly packed QAMs means less room to accommodate bursty DOC2 modems, which is why most cablecos are axing high-speed tiers on DOC2.

In short: DOC3 breaks DOC2.

Davesnothere
Change is NOT Necessarily Progress
Premium Member
join:2009-06-15
Canada

1 recommendation

Davesnothere to koreyb

Premium Member

to koreyb
said by koreyb:

....I know a lot of people with D2 modems.. almost every one has issues during peak.

My point was, D2 modems are obsolete, and to sell a D2 modem and the headache that comes with it to keep it working properly in highly populated areas especially, is not fair or right for lower tech customers.

It leaves very bad taste of the ISP, as most think this is an issue with the ISP, not the technology they are using. Look at these forums, and you will see this. Rogers refuses to give anyone over 15mb a d2 modem at this point, so it's time they do the same for the new speed tiers on TPIA.

You may not like it, but D2's days are over. Moving forward TSI knowing this is coming, should pick up a cheaper D3 modem like Acanac and others have, for people on a budget, but stop selling D2 - as well warn people with D2, they may experience slow downs during peak....

Hear, Hear !

I preach this sermon every chance that I get.

It is false economy for customers to save a few bucks up front by choosing a D2 modem, and ISPs should stop offering them, EVEN to folks who choose a lower speed tier and swear that they will never ask to upgrade.